Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

"Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn

I didn't buy the book yet, but I was at the bookstore reading the beginning, and I have to say that I think I am going to buy this book this weekend.

It's about a 7-year old girl survives the murder of her family. Her older brother kills mom, and her two older sisters, and is sent to prison. The story is from her perspective, and she's an embittered young woman now of 30-something.

I didn't get much further than that before deciding two things: I liked the story, and I really liked the author's writing style.

Has anyone read this book?
Old 12-15-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn

Haven't read this book, but did read one of her others, "Gone Girl" because of all the rave reviews. I did like her writing style but the ending was horrible. I'll probably pass on future books.
Old 12-15-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

DARK PLACES has a fantastic narrator, like a female Patton Oswalt. The ending is a little too tidy, but the journey is great.
Old 12-15-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read all three of Flynn's books and can give them all a hearty recommendation. Although Gone Girl seems to be the book that has launched her on most people's radar, Dark Places and Sharp Objects are definitely worth a read.
Old 12-17-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
DARK PLACES has a fantastic narrator, like a female Patton Oswalt. The ending is a little too tidy, but the journey is great.
I'm enjoying the 1st Person narration in the "Libby -now" sections, and like how it jumps to 3rd Person storytelling in the flashback sections.

I'm hoping for a great ending, because a poor one will totally ruin whatever enjoyment I got from the first two-thirds. I'm not sure I know what I want in an ending, but something mirroring a conspiracy theory would not be it. I'm pretty sure I want the brother to be guilty. ****PLEASE NO SPOILERS!****
Old 12-21-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked Dark Places as much as Gone Girl. Both wrapped up the endings a little too well, but seamlessly narrating Middle Class people in GG and total white trash in DP, I'm excited for Sharp Objects and her future works.