Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Getting Cable TV for X-Mas Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Getting Cable TV for X-Mas Help!

This will be the first time buying Cable. It's a Christmas present for my parents. Here is what i know for their tastes in programming:

Mom likes Game Shows and Sitcoms.

Dad likes sci-fi shows, Films (indie and foreign specifically)

Is there some kind of site that deals with getting the best deal on Cable TV? There are so many options to choose from.

Also how easy is the installation transition? My dad has a dvd recorder he uses. Will he be able to keep that hooked in the cable or will be forced into using dvr or Tivo boxes? is there any way to sign up for one year? All i keep seeing is two year contracts.
Old 11-29-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Getting Cable TV for X-Mas Help!

Is this 1987?
Old 11-29-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Cable or satellite?

After going five-or-so years without cable, I just broke down and got back satellite. Direct TV is installing tomorrow morning! I miss vegging out and watching the boob tube in the evening. Last week, I had this sweeping nostalgia come over me. And I missed being able to watch and surf good old TV.

Whether you get cable or satellite, it's not too hard to pick out the right stuff. Get a good, full package. Expect to pay around $75/mo out the door. Get their full featured package. I think premium channels are a waste. Places like Cox has the "On Demand" channels (free and pay per view types).

DVR is a must.
Old 11-29-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts

I think the opposite. If I could buy only premium channels, I would. Since I can't, we don't have cable.
Old 11-29-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick it to the man. Buy them an Apple TV (or Roku) and a 1 year subscription to Netflix and Hulu+. The total cost will be less than 3 months worth of cable TV. That's what I setup for my parents last year and they've never bugged me about getting cable ever again.
Old 11-29-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Cable or satellite?

After going five-or-so years without cable, I just broke down and got back satellite. Direct TV is installing tomorrow morning! I miss vegging out and watching the boob tube in the evening. Last week, I had this sweeping nostalgia come over me. And I missed being able to watch and surf good old TV.

Whether you get cable or satellite, it's not too hard to pick out the right stuff. Get a good, full package. Expect to pay around $75/mo out the door. Get their full featured package. I think premium channels are a waste. Places like Cox has the "On Demand" channels (free and pay per view types).

DVR is a must.
I don't think premium channels are a waste. If you rent and buy alot of BD's/DVDs then maybe the movies aspect is a waste since you've probably already seen them. But, there are so many good original shows/documentaries on HBO and Showtime. It just depends on your budget and what you can afford. Alot of people in this forum only subscribe to premium channels on a seasonal basis depending on what show is airing. You can always get deals on premium channels as well.
Old 11-30-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83

Mom likes Game Shows and Sitcoms.

Dad likes sci-fi shows, Films (indie and foreign specifically)

My suggestion (If you choose Satellite). Get a basic package. It doesn't sound like your parents need anything too fancy.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packag...-1&lpos=header

Directv's basic package is called "Choice" It will run you about $63.99 per month. If they have an HDTV, HD will cost $10 extra per month and if you want to give them a DVR, it's an extra $6 per month.

Your Mom can watch TV Land for sitcoms and The Game Show Network.

Your Dad can watch SyFy and The Science Channel along with IFC for Indie films and stuff.

And yes, it's a 2-year contract if you go with them.
Old 11-30-12, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by hahn
Stick it to the man. Buy them an Apple TV (or Roku) and a 1 year subscription to Netflix and Hulu+. The total cost will be less than 3 months worth of cable TV. That's what I setup for my parents last year and they've never bugged me about getting cable ever again.
I would love to but the area they live gets the slowest internet speed 768 Kbps!
Old 11-30-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Is this 1987?
Old 11-30-12, 08:01 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

be sure to change their VCR's clock. it's been blinking 12:00 for the past 30 years I'm sure.
Old 11-30-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
This will be the first time buying Cable.

Also how easy is the installation transition? My dad has a dvd recorder he uses. Will he be able to keep that hooked in the cable or will be forced into using dvr or Tivo boxes? is there any way to sign up for one year? All i keep seeing is two year contracts.
They probably have one choice for cable tv where they live.

Call that company and ask your questions
Old 11-30-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cable TV is so last week!

I got rid of mine....well.....last week.