Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Boardwalk Empire -- "A Man, a Plan..." -- 11/18/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
At Nucky's behest, Owen intervenes in the Gyp Rosetti-Joe Masseria alliance in New York, and Gaston Means tries to keep Jess Smith from talking in Washington, D.C. Meanwhile, Chalky eyes a future business opportunity; Rosetti is upset by an inadequate shipment; Margaret considers changes at home and the hospital; Richard looks out for Julia; and in Chicago, Van Alden suffers a professional setback.

Episode 10 of 12
Old 11-18-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- "A Man, a Plan..." -- 11/18/12

...a canal, Panama.
Old 11-18-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I marathoned S1 when that season first ended, and my parents happened to be visiting. To this day, my mom (she's got ALZ) has the opening sequence stuck in her head. She's got no idea where the image comes from, but she'll go on and on about the bottles in the ocean. So I guess it officially qualifies as iconic.
Old 11-18-12, 09:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Expected Owen to last a few more episodes but it became clear right away that he wasn't going to be alive at the end of the ep. Figured Margaret was pregnant when the doc told her she looked pale.
Old 11-18-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone explain who killed Owen, how, and why? I forgot the reason why he was assigned to the Bath house...and wasn't someone else along with him - Doyle?
Old 11-18-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Can anyone explain who killed Owen, how, and why? I forgot the reason why he was assigned to the Bath house...and wasn't someone else along with him - Doyle?
Doyle was in Pennsylvania at the distillery. The FBI guy went with Owen.
Old 11-18-12, 10:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

He was going to kill Joe Masseria. The FBI agent was going to distract Masseria's bodyguard while Owen killed him. Luciano and Lansky gave up the info when Masseria said he'd bankroll their heroin deal.
Old 11-18-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So owen doesn't get away (but did get a nice send off, with the flashback at the end), I wonder if richard will. Obviously they are leading to that (just like they did with owen), I'm just wondering if they will let him go in peace to a regular life, or if he gets drawn back in.
Old 11-19-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Expected Owen to last a few more episodes but it became clear right away that he wasn't going to be alive at the end of the ep. Figured Margaret was pregnant when the doc told her she looked pale.
Likewise.

Originally Posted by Dave99
So owen doesn't get away (but did get a nice send off, with the flashback at the end), I wonder if richard will. Obviously they are leading to that (just like they did with owen), I'm just wondering if they will let him go in peace to a regular life, or if he gets drawn back in.
I'll still be surprised if Richard doesn't get involved with Nucky.
Old 11-19-12, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

As if things could get even more tense around the ol' Thompson family dinner table.
Old 11-19-12, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just knew Owen was going bye-bye when he was assigned to Masseria. And Nucky goes on to piss off Chalky. How big of a hole is he digging?

With Eli going to Chicago, I guess Van Alden's identity is going to be revealed.

"You owe me" He is just so overly brutal.

I hope the driver makes it out of this. They're running out of supplementary characters.
Old 11-19-12, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts

I didn't think Owen would get killed til they sent him to Masseria as well.

But when you heard "there's a delivery" I knew it'd either be heads, or body parts in the crate.

In the preview for the next episode it looked like Richard was going for a gun I think. Or I could have been tired and seeing things. I'd love for him to go and fill Owen's role.
Old 11-19-12, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How did Luciano and Lansky know about the specific bath house hit? I was dozing off during the episode, but they weren't around for the planning, and they were part of the group that turned Nucky down last week?

I figured the tip came from somebody inside Nucky's crew.
Old 11-19-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
How did Luciano and Lansky know about the specific bath house hit? I was dozing off during the episode, but they weren't around for the planning, and they were part of the group that turned Nucky down last week?

The only thing I can figure is the initial info may have come from one of Rothstein's people. Either that or Rothstein knew about it by the simple fact that little happens in NY that he doesn't know about.
Old 11-19-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When Lansky & Luciano told Masseria about Nucky's plan, I assumed he beefed up his entourage enough so that when Owen and FBI Guy arrived they already had no chance.
Old 11-19-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is starting to smell like a Soap Opera. Sadly.
Old 11-19-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
He was going to kill Joe Masseria. The FBI agent was going to distract Masseria's bodyguard while Owen killed him. Luciano and Lansky gave up the info when Masseria said he'd bankroll their heroin deal.
Thank you. I was completely lost there.
Old 11-19-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think this episode was pretty good. I know that a lot of people have lost faith in the show but I think it's still going fairly strong.

I'm sad to see Owen go but everyone knew it was coming and I liked the way it was handled. This definitely opens up more screen time for Richard which is a fantastic thing.
Old 11-19-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it just me, or does Richard look better without the mask on?

to me, the mask just draws more attention to his face. And about that mask - when we first saw Richard, the mask was colored to match his face. Over time, the mask's color either faded or whatever, and Richard never bothered to make improvements. Why not? I thought he was shy and self-conscious, so why not fix the mask?

Does it seem possible that Al Capone would really be bothered over Van Alden's petty whiskey sales? You're talkin' chump-change, compared to the regular bootleg operation Capone is overseeing. What the hell was that confrontation all about?! Was Capone that petty?

Regarding Val Alden - man! Talk about a character-arc! I never, ever would have imagined his fate from viewing him from Season 1. Likewise, I don't think Val Alden would have imagined his own fate, either. Between fathering a baby from a one-night stand, and losing his wife over it, and manufacturing and selling liquor - Van Alden's head must have spun around way too many times to count. However, he was a murderer fairly early on, and he seemed to accept that in stride..

Last edited by Buttmunker; 11-19-12 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 05:46 AM

Was Capone that petty?
When it comes to the business, sure. But he was also a pretty nice dude to people not in it. My great aunt told me a story about her mom when they lived in Chicago. Her mom would walk her dog every afternoon around the neighborhood. One day, a rather handsome young fellow approached her and told her that it wasn't a safe neighborhood for a woman to be out in by herself. When she said that she had to walk the dog regardless, he told her he'd meet her in that spot everyday after that. So for 6 months, they never exchanged names, but would walk a couple miles together in the evening. They'd talk about whatever. At one point, a guy tried to mug them. The gent took his hat off and asked the would be robber if he knew who he was. The guy split.

One day, this fellow didn't show up for the walk. The next morning, her mom saw the gentleman in the paper. It was Capone. So far all the petty and murderous stuff he did, that's the only thing I can think of when watching this show.
Old 11-20-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082
One day, a rather handsome young fellow approached her.
That's the reason why I know your story is baloney. LOL. You can call Capone many things, but "handsome" ain't one of those things.
Old 11-20-12, 10:19 AM

That's the reason why I know your story is baloney. LOL. You can call Capone many things, but "handsome" ain't one of those things.
He was no Rock Hudson but he wasn't that bad looking.

Old 11-20-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure - not bad looking for a psychopath. HAHA!! You gotta be kidding!
Old 11-20-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel

I don't think they knew about the specific hit. They just prepared him for the possible attack. Masseria planned accordingly.

Does it seem possible that Al Capone would really be bothered over Van Alden's petty whiskey sales? You're talkin' chump-change, compared to the regular bootleg operation Capone is overseeing. What the hell was that confrontation all about?! Was Capone that petty?
Yes, I do think he would be bothered. O' Bannion's man is selling booze in his territory. Plus, the information that he gets from Van Alden will probably be useful.
Old 11-20-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Yes, I do think he would be bothered. O' Bannion's man is selling booze in his territory. Plus, the information that he gets from Van Alden will probably be useful.
Plus isn't he just starting to move into more of the leadership role of his organization? He's also probably trying to establish his reputation that his authority will be unchallenged, that no slight will be too small to go unpunished.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.