Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Component vrs s-video connects

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Component vrs s-video connects

Old 10-02-00, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that this issue runs around this board occasionally, but I'm still a bit confused. I just got a 53"'standard' (not DTV) rptv which has input for component video and my dvd has approprate outputs. However, by using component input I lose some bells from my tv -- PIP functionality for instance. So is component hook-up really going to be noticably better than s-video? If so, where do I get cables? Radio shack was clueless and all I've found is Monster cables at a higher-end store for close to $90--seems awefully pricy.

All opinions are welcome.
Old 10-04-00, 12:42 AM

Hello, That's interesting so I just went to my RPTV and checked. I have both connections, the S-type from the receicer and the component from the DVD player. Sure enough when I'm on component the PIP doesn't work, I guess it shows how much I use that feature. I don't think there is much difference if any between the two. In a technical write up it was said that the component signal went through the least processing both out & in so was the cleanest. Now the punch line came down that in a blind test few could tell the difference between the two. I bought my cables at Radio Shack and no they had no idea what I was asking for. I got a set of gold plated triple wire set meant for a VCR, the collars are yellow, red, & white but they work great.
Greg

[This message has been edited by gdjohnson (edited October 03, 2000).]
Old 10-23-00, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Component video connections are supposed to be better than s-video, but if the difference is that noticeable, I don't know

Best Buy sells the Monster component video cables for $60-70, if I recall correctly

------------------
DVD list
Old 10-23-00, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd say component are better. But not a huge diff over S-Video. And if you are gonna loose your PIP over it, just use S-Video. You'll be happier either way, just keep your PIP, I would.
Old 10-24-00, 07:48 PM

Dont spend over $50 for cables! Just find a 3 shielded VIDEO CABLES from Radio Shack.. They work just fine.. Component cables are essentialy Video cables, but with a higher price and a COMPONENT marking on it...

Ohyeah... I hear that Component is slightly better than Svideo.. Most noticeable is when there are rows of diagonal objects, you dont get the 'rainbow' effect...
Old 10-26-00, 02:09 PM

Cool, thanks for all info. I ended up connecting my DVD using the component inputs. Figured, I probably shouldn't be distracting myself with PIP during a DVD anyway. I went to Radio Shack--they had no idea what I was talking about either--and bought three gold plated "single" video cables. They seem to work great. I know I should have compared the component to s-video back and fourth, but truely, I didn't have the time and wanted to get by set back in position.