Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015, McQuarrie) S: Cruise, Rhames, Renner, Pegg

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015, McQuarrie) S: Cruise, Rhames, Renner, Pegg

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might as well start the thread on it.

Via Deadline:

EXCLUSIVE: After directing Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher, Christopher McQuarrie is poised to take on the next installment of Cruise’s signature tentpole. I’m told that McQuarrie is the choice to helm the fifth Mission: Impossible film that is in the early stages of being put together by Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions. They will hire writers before making it official, but he’s the guy that Cruise and JJ Abrams want.

M:I-5 is a big priority for the studio after the Brad Bird-directed Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol grossed just under $700 million worldwide. McQuarrie, who won the Oscar for scripting The Usual Suspects, has more recently become Cruise’s go-to guy as a writer. After collaborating with Cruise on Valkyrie, McQuarrie has had a credited or uncredited hand in most of Cruise’s recent films including All You Need Is Kill, Ghost Protocol (uncredited), and the Top Gun 2 film which is in limbo after the death of director Tony Scott. Paramount and Skydance also have McQuarrie developing to direct Without Remorse, the action thriller based on the Tom Clancy novel.

The Mission: Impossible opportunity comes off the excitement that Paramount and Skydance are experiencing over Jack Reacher, which McQuarrie directed after adapting the script from the Lee Child novel One Shot. Cruise plays the title character, who in the books is a hulking former military cop who drifts around the country and always ends up unraveling conspiracies with his intellect and oversized fists. While Cruise doesn’t match Reacher’s size, the author was the one who felt most strongly that Cruise was the right guy for the job. After seeing Cruise’s work playing killers in Ghost Protocol and Michael Mann’s Collateral, I don’t doubt Child’s judgment. Paramount and Skydance are hoping it leads to another franchise. The film opens December 21. McQuarrie’s repped by CAA, Key Creatives and attorney David Fox.

So assuming this is true...OK. I've never seen the guy's directorial work, also Jack Reacher still isn't out. Got a nice resume w/ his writing credits. So yeah. Interesting choice if this is where they go. Reacher does look pretty cool to me. If this is who got their attention cuz of Reacher well that makes Reacher that much more interesting. I liked the last one a lot but felt that it was just a lot of badass scenes w/o a good strong story to hold it together and be engrossed in the whys of the film. MI3 had Hoffman who was a great and threatening villain, shit got real when he was around. MI4 didn't have that. So hopefully..we get a badass villain along w/ some great action.
Old 11-14-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Mission Impossible 5

I enjoyed the hell out of 4, and this is one of my favorite series so bring it on.
Old 11-14-12, 03:21 PM
Banned

I'm 50/50 for this franchise. Really enjoy 3 and 4. 2 is too much for me. 1...just hasn't aged well for me. It's not a bad film but I don't care for it.
Old 11-14-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just saw this part 4 and it was awesome....
Old 11-14-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm 50/50 for this franchise. Really enjoy 3 and 4. 2 is too much for me. 1...just hasn't aged well for me. It's not a bad film but I don't care for it.
Each one is very distinct, and that's one of the things I like about them. I think even Cruise said he goes for very different directors to keep each movie unlike the other.
Old 11-14-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

These movies seem to deliver the fantasy factor stuff the pre-Craig Bonds once did. I have no problem with that for them, as I feel gadgets look more in place in these movies than Bond nowadays.
Old 11-14-12, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
Each one is very distinct, and that's one of the things I like about them. I think even Cruise said he goes for very different directors to keep each movie unlike the other.

I actually like that. I just didn't like what Woo did. It was too much. Can't say anything literally bad about the first one aside from my preferences. Cool spy thriller type of film that was. I think I would like it better if it actually looked better on BD.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
These movies seem to deliver the fantasy factor stuff the pre-Craig Bonds once did. I have no problem with that for them, as I feel gadgets look more in place in these movies than Bond nowadays.
I think it's cuz it sets it up well in the world. The older Bonds just used it as cool toys to show off and it became cliche quick.
Old 11-14-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Love all four. MI:2 was the most unique. I know that a lot of people hate it. There's a lot of eye-rolling moments. But I think it's a great action flick. John Woo in top form.

Edit: Wait, in top form with the action. Not comparing it to The Killer or anything.

Edit: I forgot that DVDTalk doesn't notice if you edit within a few minutes of posting.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 11-14-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So you edit without using the edit button?

Edit: Or did you just edit it using the edit button, before it shows that you edited your post?
Old 11-14-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm down. MI:4, 3 were a blast.
Old 11-14-12, 04:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. I like Way of the Gun a lot. My hopes aren't as high as they were for four, which could work in this movie's favor.
Old 11-14-12, 04:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Two words: BRING IT ON
Old 11-14-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm interested as I've liked three of the four movies and even the one I didn't love (Mission: Impossible 2) was still okay. I don't know much about the director but Jack Reacher doesn't really look like anything special to me.
Old 11-14-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to point out, McQuarrie wrote The Usual Suspects and has done script polishing on almost all of Singer's output since then. He also polished the script to the last M:I film ...

... so with that, bring it.
Old 11-14-12, 05:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Two words: BRING IT ON
Wait a second....

McQuarrie for the next one? Works for me. I've been meh on the first 3 movies but really enjoyed the 4th. I'm game as long as the story and its intelligence is retained. Oh, and please keep Paula Patton in it, in a hot dress.
Old 11-14-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if the plot could revolve around the UK's MI5.
Old 11-15-12, 11:22 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: Mission Impossible 5 (McQuarrie)

Didn't realize McQuarrie went 12 years between directing efforts (The Way of the Gun & Jack Reacher). Interesting filmography -- looks like basically went off the grid from 2000-2008. He's kept fairly busy in recent years writing for tv/film.
Old 02-05-13, 02:59 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Not a real surprise but it seems McQuarrie is confirmed.
Old 02-05-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I might be dumb but it took me a few viewing to really get MI:1 but after I did I really liked it, maybe my favorite. 3 and 4 are really strong as well. 2...
Old 05-06-13, 06:56 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Ethan Hunt has accepted another mission. Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions have set Tom Cruise in a deal to star in and produce a fifth installment in the Mission: Impossible franchise. Both Paramount and Skydance have confirmed this, but they are not saying who’s writing and directing, or when they are targeting release. I’ve heard all along that the director will be Christopher McQuarrie, Cruise’s frequent collaborator who most recently wrote and directed Jack Reacher, the adaptation of the Lee Child novels that starred Cruise. The writer/director will be finalized shortly, and that person will develop the next installment with Cruise and JJ Abrams‘ Bad Robot. Abrams directed the third film in the series and he and Cruise reignited the franchise by hatching the Brad Bird-directed Mission: Impossible–Ghost Protocol, a film that added Jeremy Renner to the mix and saw Cruise sky-walking across the exterior glass 124 floors up on a skyscraper in Dubai. That film had a $145 million budget and a worldwide gross of nearly $700 million, the most a Cruise film has ever done.
but...

Warner Bros. is remaking the Cold War thriller Ice Station Zebra and has tapped Christopher McQuarrie to write and direct it.

Made in 1968 by MGM, Zebra was an adaptation of an Alistair McLean novel that centered on an American Naval submarine team that races the Russians to retrieve sensitive photographic material in the Arctic.

Torpedo blasts, saboteurs, double-crosses and double-agent civilian scientists caught in the cross-fire are part of the ensuing action.

The movie starred Rock Hudson, Ernest Borgnine, Patrick McGoohan and Jim Brown and proved to be a major hit at the time.

McQuarrie is well-steeped in the world of shady characters having won an Oscar for penning The Usual Suspects and written thrillers like the Tom Cruise-starring Valkyrie and Jack Reacher.

The deal may impact the development of Paramount's Mission: Impossible 5, which McQuarrie is rumored to be the favorite to direct. Cruise is back to star in the action tentpole but there is no clear timetable for either movie project.
Old 05-06-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

I know the visuals will suffer as they're not his strength but... What about Joss Whedon? He's good with ensemble casts so it'd be cool to see him handle a Mission: impossible movie.
Old 05-06-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I know the visuals will suffer as they're not his strength but... What about Joss Whedon? He's good with ensemble casts so it'd be cool to see him handle a Mission: impossible movie.
Maybe, but couldn't that conflict with The Avengers 2? Disney has set a 2015 release so unless they get going on M:I 5 some time this year, might not work given the amount of pre-production time needed (for both movies).
Old 05-06-13, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad they're continuing the series, and I'd love the fifth film to pick right up from where "Ghost Protocol" left off. Ethan was being told about a criminal organization called The Syndicate, and Luther mentioned the city of Kandahar.
Old 05-07-13, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Hell, I'm excited to hear about Ice Station Zebra!
Old 05-07-13, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll check out a M:I 5, despite the fact that the last one, while fun, was a ridiculously over the top superhero flick that crammed every useable cliche into its running time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.