Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What game has you stumped due to change in gameplay?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-11-12, 09:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I love first person shooters... and I hate, and subsequently SUCK at driving games. So, inevitably these games have a segment where you have to do something other than just aim, run, and shoot, and it takes me forever, usually, to get through that and back to the fun.

Anyone feel similarly?
Old 11-11-12, 10:16 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: What game has you stumped due to change in gameplay?

I know this is not what you are asking for, but I find QTE to be a pain. Not so much the 2 or 3 random presses, I seem to be ok with those. I am talking about the bashing A as fast as you can. I don't move as fast as I use to, and it almost makes me want a turbo controller just for these parts.

Edit to add..I don't have a particular game in mind, but I LOVE stealth games (oh how I miss you Thief) but I find games that are not stealth games that add a stealth segment or level almost always suck.
Old 11-11-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I quit playing AC3 at a Desmond sequence. I'll get back into it but as of now I don't really care.
Old 11-11-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I know this is not what you are asking for, but I find QTE to be a pain. Not so much the 2 or 3 random presses, I seem to be ok with those. I am talking about the bashing A as fast as you can. I don't move as fast as I use to, and it almost makes me want a turbo controller just for these parts.
While I don't mind the idea QTE, I often find they prevent me from watching what is actually going on. Considering QTEs are typically used in exciting/important sequences, that's annoying.
Old 11-11-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultima 1. Such a fun RPG until it turns into a flight simulator.
Old 11-11-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd

I remember in Uncharted 1 it was shooting and puzzle solving and out of nowhere we get fucking QTE
Old 11-11-12, 01:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

forgive me, but what is QTE?
Old 11-11-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
forgive me, but what is QTE?
Quick Time Event. Its when a game requires you to push a specific button (or sequence of buttons) that are displayed on screen.
Old 11-11-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Its actually "Quick Timer Event" as first used and named in Shenmue. We have all been wrong for years calling it "Quick Time Event"
Old 11-11-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

The damn mash-one-button-as-fast-as-you-can is what turned me off of God of War despite the game being in my wheelhouse in almost every other way.
Old 11-11-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always any sort of stealth element interjected into a game. I'm speaking mostly of the Zelda series...or in COD4 with the Ghillie suit.
Old 11-11-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I don't mind the bash button as fast as you can segments. Those are usually really easy for me.
Old 11-11-12, 11:52 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Its actually "Quick Timer Event" as first used and named in Shenmue. We have all been wrong for years calling it "Quick Time Event"
It was used long before Shenmue, Shenmue just did it in a way that's been popularized and emulated.
Old 11-11-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
It was used long before Shenmue, Shenmue just did it in a way that's been popularized and emulated.
I think it all started with those Horrible Sega CD FMV games
Old 11-11-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I love first person shooters... and I hate, and subsequently SUCK at driving games. So, inevitably these games have a segment where you have to do something other than just aim, run, and shoot, and it takes me forever, usually, to get through that and back to the fun.

Anyone feel similarly?
The thing I hate about those games is, if I'm playing it on the PC, I want to use a mouse and keyboard for better aiming. But, the keyboard sucks for driving. So if the driving requires some skill (like racing), I'm not quite comfortable with the m/k combo. Games like Far Cry 2 and Borderlands are okay because the driving is usually just to get you from place to place.

Speaking of button mashing, back in the day I stopped playing Metal Gear Solid because of the torture sequence.
Old 11-12-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I think it all started with those Horrible Sega CD FMV games
Dragon's Lair is one long QTE.
Old 11-12-12, 07:54 AM

for me, i just wish FPS's could get together and have standard controls. i know most are customize-able to some extent, but right now i'm playing Borderlands 2 and Halo 4 at the same time. it doesn't go well for the first hour of each. i try to zoom in halo and throw a grenade (LT). i try to jump in borderlands and use my action skill (i use "bumper jumper" in Halo so this is LB for me).

other than that, i just wish that games where there is a key gameplay element (i'm looking at you Assassin's Creed) made slightly more intelligent decisions. i hate running in that game then suddenly jumping off a building because i "missed" a ledge due to controls instead of me actually missing
Old 11-12-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, it is just about any game that goes into a QTE or a adventure/rpg that tries to throw in a driving element. Or when a RPG tries to throw in some lame platforming jumping exercise. Mostly for the reason the others mention that it is always poorly executed. A platform game by itself, just fine. A Driving game, yeah I can deal with that. But mixing genres that have no business being by each other, yeah.

The worst game I can think ever of mixing game genres almost constantly is Demolition Man for the 3DO. It was light gun action, it was fighting, it was driving...heck it was a sex simulator (props if you remember what I am talking about).