Last Resort -- "Eight Bells" -- 10/11/12

Old 10-11-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Last Resort -- "Eight Bells" -- 10/11/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"Eight Bells" - Marcus leads a search for three missing crew members of the Colorado, a search that leads them to Serrat's compound, where they receive an ominous demand. Meanwhile, a clandestine meeting between Kylie and Admiral Shepard confirms that the order to fire came through a back channel, on "Last Resort," THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11 (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Episode 3 of 13 (no full season order yet)
Old 10-12-12, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Last Resort -- "Eight Bells" -- 10/11/12

This is on my DVR? Dare I watch it? Because if it sucks like last week, I'm out. I already have a gut feeling this show is doomed regardless.
Old 10-12-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

This show is not living up to its excellent pilot
Old 10-12-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob V
This is on my DVR? Dare I watch it? Because if it sucks like last week, I'm out. I already have a gut feeling this show is doomed regardless.
Yeah, same here.

I will probably wait.
Old 10-12-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

we finally got to see Dutch
Old 10-12-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody who expected the show to be like the pilot every week had way too high expectations for any television series. I think this week was better than last week, and I think this show is ahead of every other fall show I have sampled. I think it's well worth the time to watch.

ETA: Unfortunately, the ratings are sliding enough that I'm worried about getting a full season order now.
Old 10-12-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We are enjoying it, and will certainly kind of miss it when it gets cancelled...
Old 10-12-12, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
We are enjoying it, and will certainly kind of miss it when it gets cancelled...
Same here...

So what's going on with Ms Weapons-dealer and Dad weapons-dealer? (I thought the actor was playing a thug at first til he came home to see her... )
Old 10-12-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

I liked this episode until
Spoiler:
the Captain didn't off Julian that very day in order to set an example. Worse, he actually gave the guy his entire shipment. Seriously, he's willing to be all ballsy against the US government but he's gonna let some punk get the better of him?
Otherwise, it was a rock solid episode.
Old 10-13-12, 05:25 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Anybody who expected the show to be like the pilot every week had way too high expectations for any television series.
I don't think anyone expected that. But based on the pilot I sure didn't expect it to be one tired, old cliche after another by episode 3.
Old 10-13-12, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
the Captain didn't off Julian that very day in order to set an example. Worse, he actually gave the guy his entire shipment. Seriously, he's willing to be all ballsy against the US government but he's gonna let some punk get the better of him?
Rock solid? I thought it opened NUMEROUS huge plotline holes vs reality:
*Sub captain agreeing to smuggle drugs (negotiating with a terrorist).
*Failure to wipe out Julian and his whole band as an ongoing threat
*Emitting the ping of death (subs NEVER use their active sonar)
*The task force not including attack subs, the only vessel that has much chance of following and killing a boomer; that IS their mission. (Of course, a nuclear torpedo would have ended the series, but in the real world, under kill orders, that would have followed the ping of death.)

The plot becomes more ludicrous each week. The only question is whether to bail or watch the train wreck.
Old 10-13-12, 06:23 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah show is getting a bit tedious. Too much yacking, not enough action
Old 10-13-12, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
Actually that didn't bother me as much. Capt said you can't/shouldn't fight a war on two fronts. While Julian may be a slimy drug dealer (do we know that for sure) we do know that he has the support of the folks on the island. You waste him and you have the entire civilian population on the island against you. One civilian is already dead (a child no less), Capt doesn't want to add to that body count unless/until absolutely necessary.
Old 10-13-12, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
Rock solid? I thought it opened NUMEROUS huge plotline holes vs reality:
*Sub captain agreeing to smuggle drugs (negotiating with a terrorist).
*Failure to wipe out Julian and his whole band as an ongoing threat
*Emitting the ping of death (subs NEVER use their active sonar)
*The task force not including attack subs, the only vessel that has much chance of following and killing a boomer; that IS their mission. (Of course, a nuclear torpedo would have ended the series, but in the real world, under kill orders, that would have followed the ping of death.)

The plot becomes more ludicrous each week. The only question is whether to bail or watch the train wreck.
You must have hated 24.
Old 10-13-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched this and when it was over I realized I paid no attention to it at all. I was not doing anything else and did not fall asleep. I guess I was daydreaming for pretty much the entire episode. I think that's it for me.
Old 10-13-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Actually that didn't bother me as much. Capt said you can't/shouldn't fight a war on two fronts. While Julian may be a slimy drug dealer (do we know that for sure) we do know that he has the support of the folks on the island. You waste him and you have the entire civilian population on the island against you. One civilian is already dead (a child no less), Capt doesn't want to add to that body count unless/until absolutely necessary.
Do they like him or fear him too much to stand up to him. I think the captain should launch an attack that kills him and his whole band so none of his underlings take over. I suspect the locals would thank him after. No one really likes "warlords" and their typical entitlement behavior.

You don't leave an eneny sniping at you from behind. Kill them all before the fleet attacks and have one enemy out of the way.
Old 10-13-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really really dont understand why the captain didn't kill that drug gang. It should have been like a reflex action. The series lost whatever steam it had with that move.

D
Old 10-13-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
Do they like him or fear him too much to stand up to him. I think the captain should launch an attack that kills him and his whole band so none of his underlings take over. I suspect the locals would thank him after. No one really likes "warlords" and their typical entitlement behavior.

You don't leave an eneny sniping at you from behind. Kill them all before the fleet attacks and have one enemy out of the way.
No one likes warlords except for all those folks who turn to him for help like the mother who was burying her son. Plus, they made it sound like it was one of the military folks who killed the kid in the first place. Warlords suck but so do folks who kill kids (though that death was accidental but I doubt the locals care about that distinction) and so do strangers who come out of nowhere and occupy people's land (which is pretty much what capt and crew have done). You make nice with the warlord until you're sure that when you do pop a cap in his behind that the community is cheering you, not taking up arms against you.
Old 10-13-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
You must have hated 24.
24 was equally stupid, maybe more so, but it was actually FUN. This thing's a slog. People were wondering how this show can sustain it's premise and by now it's obvious that they're going to do that by dragging it the fuck out. I'm done, mostly because there doesn't seem to be any pay off in each episode.

It also seems that the only way out of their predicament is that some high-ranking government official who was behind it, cops to the whole thing, along with evidence. That, or if the sub-crew averts some alien-invasion. And I think the aline invasion would be more believable.
Old 10-14-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

As much as I like seeing beauty shots of Hawaii (Kahana Bay is where the Frenchies were to sail from), this is sorta turning quickly into Terra Nova.
Old 10-14-12, 02:25 AM

Yeah. It's not really holding my attention anymore. It was better than last week, but that's not saying much. The sequence of them getting through the canyon was ridiculous. Also, I was under the impression that part of the point of having a nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine was that it's very hard to detect. So what magic device are the people on shore, as well as the US Navy, using so that the sub just shows up on some screen? And I found it really hard to believe that the captain would just let the warlord guy get away with murdering one of his guys. I suspect we will see him take those guys out later in the show, but I don't know if I'll make it that far. Plan on giving it another week or two, then we'll see.
Old 10-14-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm out.... I deleted my season pass
Old 10-14-12, 01:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll probably give this one more shot and hope the writing improves. I think endangering the sub and thus the whole crew, using up fuel, etc. to save 3 sailors when you have a superior force and firepower against a small band of smugglers is not a decision a competent captain would make.
Old 10-14-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort
Yeah. It's not really holding my attention anymore. It was better than last week, but that's not saying much. The sequence of them getting through the canyon was ridiculous. Also, I was under the impression that part of the point of having a nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine was that it's very hard to detect. So what magic device are the people on shore, as well as the US Navy, using so that the sub just shows up on some screen? And I found it really hard to believe that the captain would just let the warlord guy get away with murdering one of his guys. I suspect we will see him take those guys out later in the show, but I don't know if I'll make it that far. Plan on giving it another week or two, then we'll see.
I'd presume that both the NATO station and the US ships can easily detect the sub because they have capability to do so. If the Russians send in ships and detect it, that's another matter.

I'm actually a bit sad. My love for a lot of things about this show blinds me to realizing a lot of the criticism it is getting here. Now that it has been pointed out that the Captain really should have taken his men back by force instead of becoming a drug runner's errand boy, it's hard for me to go back to just being happy with the show. That in truth is a Sons of Anarchy size plot hole. Is Sutter doing this show instead of Ryan?
Old 10-14-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'd presume that both the NATO station and the US ships can easily detect the sub because they have capability to do so. If the Russians send in ships and detect it, that's another matter.

I'm actually a bit sad. My love for a lot of things about this show blinds me to realizing a lot of the criticism it is getting here. Now that it has been pointed out that the Captain really should have taken his men back by force instead of becoming a drug runner's errand boy, it's hard for me to go back to just being happy with the show. That in truth is a Sons of Anarchy size plot hole. Is Sutter doing this show instead of Ryan?
Subs hide by being very quiet, no acoustic or E/M signature. If they emit either they are detected. Subs can listen to communications. If they answer back, they have a signature. You may not decrypt the communications but you can triangulate on them. When he talked to the shore, an attack sub would have put a nuclear torpedo up his ass. Either of his two active sonar pings or the dropped tool would have brought the same fate. He was too deep to have launched; it would have been a perfect kill shot. Of course, reality would end the series. There are no pings that only your allies can hear.

Of course, his orders for flank speed were absurd too. A sub is both very noisy and very "blind" at flank, due to its own propellor and flow noise.

Both the drug smuggling mission and the fact they survived it are ridiculous.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.