Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary: Oct 4

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-01-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone going?

Luckily, this is is showing near me. One day only, two showings as far as I can tell. I'll be going to the 1:00 showing so I'm wide awake.

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics...eofarabia.aspx

One of the most popular and influential films in the history of cinema returns to the silver screen with Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary Event: Digitally Restored on Thursday, October 4 at 7:00 PM local time, with special matinees in select theaters.

Presented by NCM® Fathom Events and Sony Pictures Entertainment, the restoration of the Director’s Cut of the film was overseen by Grover Crisp, Sony Pictures Entertainment Executive Vice President Asset Management, Film Restoration & Digital Mastering and conducted with the latest digital imaging technology. The original 65mm camera negative was first scanned at 8K. The film then underwent a painstaking process of repairing and restoring problems inherent to the 50-year-old film elements. Finally, the film went through a 4K color grading and re-mastering process at Colorworks Sony Pictures Entertainments’ digital intermediate facility.

This special event features an exclusive introduction from Lawrence of Arabia star and Academy Award® nominee Omar Sharif, newsreel footage of the New York premiere, as well as footage of King Hussein visiting the film set. In addition, Academy Award® winning Director Martin Scorsese will talk about the over-arching themes of Lawrence of Arabia and its influence on other iconic films in a recent, exclusive never-before-seen interview.

Winner of seven Academy Awards®, including Best Picture of 1962, Lawrence of Arabia is considered one of the most timeless and essential motion picture masterpieces. The greatest achievement of its legendary, Oscar-winning director David Lean, the film has been honored as the No. 7 film on the American Film Institute’s (AFI) list of the “100 Greatest Movies of All Time.”

Don’t miss your chance to see this valiant desert classic for only one day and celebrate the release of the Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Gift Set available November 13, 2012.
Running time is listed at 4 hours, 20 minutes so I'm assuming they are going all out with the intro and intermission sections. Can't wait.
Old 10-02-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Lawrence of Arabia 50th Anniversary: Oct 4

Quite the movie forum.
Old 10-02-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I think people are probably just happy to wait for the Blu-ray considering how long it's taken already.

If they were showing this on a weekend I'd go, but I don't have 5 hours on a Thursday night.

These Fathom events always sound interesting but are always on the worst days so as not to interrupt the true money making (shit) films.
Old 10-02-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think people are probably just happy to wait for the Blu-ray considering how long it's taken already.

If they were showing this on a weekend I'd go, but I don't have 5 hours on a Thursday night.

These Fathom events always sound interesting but are always on the worst days so as not to interrupt the true money making (shit) films.
I saw a restored version on the big screen in 1988 or something and that was enough for me. (I'd seen the cut version in neighborhood theaters a couple of times in my youth.) I can't sit through a film this long in a theater anymore, esp. if it runs so late on a worknight. I had trouble sitting through THE MASTER at the Ziegfeld last Friday and it was about two hours shorter than LAWRENCE (but seemed just as long).
Old 10-02-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had my ticket for about a month. Cannot wait.
Old 10-02-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm holding off for an eventual 70 mm engagement.
Old 10-02-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm holding off for an eventual 70 mm engagement.
It's digital projection. The whole point of this presentation is to show off the quality of their new digital restoration. They won't be screening it on 35mm, 65mm (the original negative) or 70mm. They didn't strike a new print for this, they created a new digital file.
Old 10-02-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I'm going. Quite looking forward to it since it's one of my favorite movies.
Old 10-02-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I ever saw this in theaters, it would be a 70mm print in L.A.
Old 10-02-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It's digital projection. The whole point of this presentation is to show off the quality of their new digital restoration. They won't be screening it on 35mm, 65mm (the original negative) or 70mm. They didn't strike a new print for this, they created a new digital file.
No you misunderstand, I'm not talking about this print. I'm talking about seeing a 70 mm print in general. I've never seen it before and would like to see it presented in that format. The AFI has it every once in a while.
Old 10-02-12, 09:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Nope, I'll hold off until next summer when they show it at the Paramount here in town as part of their local summer film series. I'm not a fan of those fathom events presentations.
Old 10-03-12, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No you misunderstand, I'm not talking about this print. I'm talking about seeing a 70 mm print in general. I've never seen it before and would like to see it presented in that format. The AFI has it every once in a while.
Oh, I see. Sorry. Still, with this new digital version being touted, I'm guessing that the chances of 70mm showings in the future will get slimmer and slimmer.
Old 10-03-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These one-day-only things are unfortunate. I can't make it on thursday, so I guess I don't get to see it at all.
Old 10-03-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm taking a half day and going to the 1:00 showing. It will get me home by dinner time.
Old 10-03-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Oh, I see. Sorry. Still, with this new digital version being touted, I'm guessing that the chances of 70mm showings in the future will get slimmer and slimmer.
Yeah that's unfortunate about less showings. Although I didn't know this was to showcase a new print, thought it was just another Fathom Event type thing, so that's pretty good.
Old 10-03-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that's unfortunate about less showings. Although I didn't know this was to showcase a new print, thought it was just another Fathom Event type thing, so that's pretty good.
Yeah, the whole point of this screening was to show off the new digital presentation--no celluloid involved at all.

The New York Times did an article on it last week:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/mo...pagewanted=all

Here's a quote:
The key is that this is a 4K digital restoration. When a machine called the Imagica EX scans across each frame of a film’s negative, it creates a digitally encoded replica that consists of 4,000 (actually, 4,096) pixels on each horizontal line. Multiplied by the 2,160 pixels on each vertical line, this makes for a total of 8.8 million pixels per frame.

By comparison, high-definition TV broadcasts and Blu-ray Discs are made from scans of 2.2 million pixels per frame. In other words, 4K images have four times as much detail and resolution as HD or Blu-ray.

In a connect-the-dots diagram, the more dots there are, the more detailed the resulting image. Similarly, in digital scanning, the more pixels there are, the more that image resembles the actual film. The significance is this: The 8.8 million pixels in a 4K scan are enough to reproduce all the visual information in a frame of 35 mm film — every detail of the image, the full dynamic range of bright to dark, the entire spectrum of colors, even the sheen of “grain” that distinguishes film from video. (“Lawrence of Arabia” was shot in 65 millimeter — nearly twice the width of a 35-millimeter frame — so its negative had to be scanned in 8K, creating 8,192 pixels across each line. But it is still referred to as a 4K scan because it has the same density of pixels, the same resolution across 65 millimeters that 4K has across 35 millimeters.)
This reduces the need for film prints of LAWRENCE, so I'm guessing that any film screenings will be few and far between, if at all.
Old 10-04-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This special event features an exclusive introduction from Lawrence of Arabia star and Academy Award® nominee Omar Sharif, newsreel footage of the New York premiere, as well as footage of King Hussein visiting the film set. In addition, Academy Award® winning Director Martin Scorsese will talk about the over-arching themes of Lawrence of Arabia and its influence on other iconic films in a recent, exclusive never-before-seen interview.
So do they run this stuff before or after the film? I really have no interest in sitting there longer than necessary to see the film.
Old 10-04-12, 11:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
So do they run this stuff before or after the film? I really have no interest in sitting there longer than necessary to see the film.
as I understand it, before the feature -

half-hour pre-show and a fifteen minute behind the scenes
Old 10-04-12, 12:51 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Quite the movie forum.
It's not that no one cares,it's just that these events had already been discussed in the LOA Bluray thread.

I have seen LOA in 70 mm twice and it's just amazing. It's the only proper way to see the film. I have an 84" TV and I'm not buying the bluray, it just can't match the way the film is meant to be seen...on a BIG screen in 70mm.
Old 10-04-12, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It's not that no one cares,it's just that these events had already been discussed in the LOA Bluray thread.

I have seen LOA in 70 mm twice and it's just amazing. It's the only proper way to see the film. I have an 84" TV and I'm not buying the bluray, it just can't match the way the film is meant to be seen...on a BIG screen in 70mm.
70mm is the way to see it obviously, but the 4K presentation I saw this afternoon was simply outstanding. The wonderfully saturated colors, the sharpness and clarity - by far the best 4K screening I've seen - sorry 'Samsara'.

if you're checking out the screening tonight be sure to get there early cause there is a pre-film featurette about the 2012 restoration. (before the set posted time) I unfortunately caught the tail end of it - goddamn it - hope it's one of the bonus features on the megabox set of the bluray.

Scorsese's introduction though is for anyone who's seen the movie prior, anyone new to the movie will be get some spoilers revealed.

Last edited by Giles; 10-04-12 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-04-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. Now I'm considering this. Well, I have one hour to decide.
Old 10-04-12, 04:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen it in 70mm. It gets shown a few times a year at the Aero and the Egyptian in Los Angeles. If you're in SoCal, I recommend seeing it that way (and I doubt this release will reduce the amount of times those theaters show it in 70mm).
Old 10-04-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, maybe I will see this. I have 30 minutes, but I don't want to get spoiled....gotta walk in at 7 then.
Old 10-04-12, 05:37 PM

Damn, maybe I will see this. I have 30 minutes, but I don't want to get spoiled....gotta walk in at 7 then.
no no, you'll miss the 2012 restoration piece, walk out at 7, then come in ten to 13 minutes later... after Scorsese's intro.
Old 10-04-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this movie once, but honestly I can't think of anything that would really "spoil" it. It's not like it's a Shyamalan film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.