Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands you used to hate, but now love

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Partially inspired (in title, at least) by the bands you used to love but now hate thread... and by the random thoughts going through my head while driving yesterday.

I was listening to a lot of Behemoth yesterday and started thinking about how the first time I listened to them they did absolutely nothing for me. I gave them a fair shake, but I think they really weren't what I was expecting or what I had built up in my mind, so, initially I was put off. I don't know exactly what or when I changed my mind, but now I enjoy them a lot.

I know I had another group in mind earlier that I have since forgotten about, and I know I listen to a lot of stuff now I would have never imagined I would enjoy when I was 16 or so, but I'm not counting that. I never really actively disliked Peter Gabriel or Regina Spektor.

Woods of Ypres is another that comes to mind. I heard some random tracks off of Woods IV and couldn't stand them. It wasn't until some months later I sort of randomly listened to them again and got in to them. It wasn't long after that, unfortunately, that David died.
Old 10-01-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Bands you used to hate, but now love

I never hated them but I used to be indifferent to Roxy Music based on the few songs I knew by them. I just got their new Complete Studio Recordings set and now think they are one of the best bands of the 70s.
Old 10-01-12, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
I never hated them but I used to be indifferent to Roxy Music based on the few songs I knew by them. I just got their new Complete Studio Recordings set and now think they are one of the best bands of the 70s.
Yeah, love/hate are probably too strong, I was just too tired to think of anything else so I just jacked the title of the other thread.

I've thought of another one: Talking Heads

Love is definitely too strong here, but I really like their first 3 albums a lot now.
Old 10-01-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Pink Floyd. Never exactly hated them (didn't have the Johnny Rotten shirt or anything) but thought they were kinda pointless and very overplayed. Over the last two years or so, I've really grown to like them, from Meddle through their classic 70's epics. I doubt I ever become much of a fan of the Std Barrett era psychedelic space rock though.

In general, I find myself listening to classic rock a lot more than I used to.
Old 10-01-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Van Halen and the Stones.

I used to not listen to either, and still think that Eddie is ridiculously overrated as a guitarist, but all the stuff with Roth has grown on me and I think they were one of the better bands in 80s rock.

I have always seen the draw of the Stones, but was definitely more of a Beatles person. I enjoy a very very particular style of Stones song (upbeat with lots of Keef riffage and preferably some type of brass), but I enjoy those songs immensely.
Old 10-01-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always thought Bush was a British Nirvanabe, but I got Sixteen Stone earlier this year and don't mind it at all.

Not really "love", but a good "warming up to".
Old 10-02-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Metallica. I think alot came from the fact that everyone shoved them down my throat when i was in high school and just got into metal. I didnt really give them a chance till i was out of college. Now they are one of my favorite and love every album, except St Anger which is just an awful album.
Old 10-17-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to think Dylan was pretentious and unlistenable... he's grown on me a lot to where I even bought Tempest on vinyl to show my support.
Old 10-18-12, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Pink Floyd. Never exactly hated them (didn't have the Johnny Rotten shirt or anything) but thought they were kinda pointless and very overplayed. Over the last two years or so, I've really grown to like them, from Meddle through their classic 70's epics. I doubt I ever become much of a fan of the Std Barrett era psychedelic space rock though.

Haha, I HAD the shirt and hated them. Joke's on me, though, as I listen to DSOTM through Animals a lot now that I am as old as Johnny Rotten.

There are a lot of artists that I shunned unfairly because I didn't like the first song of theirs that I happened to hear. For example, I ignored Men Without Hats until a few years ago because I could not stand "Safety Dance" and the dancing midget video. My loss since I recently discovered that the rest of their 80's catalog is great synth-pop. They would have been one of my favorites back in the day. Same for The Chameleons. Didn't care for "In Shreds" since it seemed like weakish punk to my 16 year old ears. Who knew the bulk of their output was actually fantastically moody twin-guitar post-punk anthems? A boat I regrettably missed, until recently.
Old 10-18-12, 06:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

RUSH. wait, I still hate them.
Old 10-18-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Cure and The Smiths. I'm older now and more miserable so I get it.
Old 10-18-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet

also there was a time I didn't care for AC/DC but became a fan after I heard all of the 70's era
Old 10-18-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I always thought Bush was a British Nirvanabe, but I got Sixteen Stone earlier this year and don't mind it at all.

Not really "love", but a good "warming up to".
none of the other albums they released are as consistent as that one
Old 11-24-12, 05:31 PM

I didnt like Pink Floyd either when I was younger. I thought their music was slow and boring. Now I have ten of their albums.
Old 11-25-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dekker
I didnt like Pink Floyd either when I was younger. I thought their music was slow and boring. Now I have ten of their albums.
Yeah it took me a long time to appreciate the genius of their music, too. The documentaries are what did it. Watch the 'Classic Albums' DVD for DSotM and recent making-of for WYWH. The story behind the albums is amazing.

For me, it was Nevermore. I first saw them in 2000 when I went to a show where they were on the bill. But they didn't click until last year. Perfect timing, the band broke up by then.
Old 11-26-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cungar
My personal sonic heaven is modeled on the sounds in "Mother of Pearl", "Nightingale" and "If There Is Something". Special attention must be paid to Andy MacKay's oboe and Paul Thompson's drumming. The former adds a cool, unique olde Englishe flavor, the latter is some of the most fluid and powerful drumming ever recorded.

For me, it's prog rock, specifically Yes. I grew up listening to Minor Threat, Black Flag, Youth of Today, Fugazi, DKs, early Nitzer Ebb, Front 242. Yes was the enemy. I associated them with the worst of excess and "Owner of a Lonely Heart", a song I hate with a passion.

Then I heard some early Opeth about ten years ago. Through that, I heard a bunch of other Scandinavian prog-metal. That stuff was pretty good. I got some Krautrock like Neu!, Cluster, Harmonia, Can and Amon Duul 2, that stuff is really good. Then I decided to get the classic British stuff starting with King Crimson's first album, then a bunch of Hawkwind stuff, then "Foxtrot" by Genesis. Finally I caved and bought Yes' "The Fragile". Yeah, that album's great. "Close to the Edge" is even better. I was a little late to this party, but I got there. Now I'm even listening to stuff like Gentle Giant, "Octopus" is genius!
Old 12-25-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to think Radiohead were pretentious noise, but the more I've listened to them the more I find the true beauty in their music
Old 12-26-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Rush and Ween.
I hated them for so long because my friends rammed them down my throat. I recently picked up the first Rush album and it's growing on me. As for Ween there's a handfull of songs I actually really enjoy. Mostly off Quebec and 12 Golden Country Greats.
Old 12-28-12, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
My personal sonic heaven is modeled on the sounds in "Mother of Pearl", "Nightingale" and "If There Is Something". Special attention must be paid to Andy MacKay's oboe and Paul Thompson's drumming. The former adds a cool, unique olde Englishe flavor, the latter is some of the most fluid and powerful drumming ever recorded.

For me, it's prog rock, specifically Yes. I grew up listening to Minor Threat, Black Flag, Youth of Today, Fugazi, DKs, early Nitzer Ebb, Front 242. Yes was the enemy. I associated them with the worst of excess and "Owner of a Lonely Heart", a song I hate with a passion.

Then I heard some early Opeth about ten years ago. Through that, I heard a bunch of other Scandinavian prog-metal. That stuff was pretty good. I got some Krautrock like Neu!, Cluster, Harmonia, Can and Amon Duul 2, that stuff is really good. Then I decided to get the classic British stuff starting with King Crimson's first album, then a bunch of Hawkwind stuff, then "Foxtrot" by Genesis. Finally I caved and bought Yes' "The Fragile". Yeah, that album's great. "Close to the Edge" is even better. I was a little late to this party, but I got there. Now I'm even listening to stuff like Gentle Giant, "Octopus" is genius!
Now you got to move into the Italian stuff like Museo Rosenbach, Banco, PFM, Osanna, De De Lind, Alphataurus, New Trolls, etc. (there are several other brilliant Italian bands), Japanese stuff like Bi Kyo Ran and Yonin Bayashi, and other British stuff like Comus and Marsupalami. Trust me.
Old 12-28-12, 10:45 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

When I was a kid I didn't like Led Zeppelin much, but now I do. I think it was that at the time no one was listening to their first album, which is the one I really like. IV or Zoso or whatever you want to call it is far from my favorite.
Old 12-28-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's broad - and I hate even saying it - but for a long time (mainly middle school-high school) I was so picky about vocals in music that I wouldn't listen to bands like Rush, KISS, Iron Maiden, etc. because their singers actually :gasp: sang. I'd been so accustomed to gruff metal vocals that everything else sounded weak to me.

So, so glad I got over that.
Old 12-28-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

This. Over last summer I couldn't get enough of Floyd....listened to them constantly. I honestly couldn't tell you what made me go back to them as I was never a huge fan.....Now I am very happy to have a bunch of their remastered albums - they sound excellent.
Old 12-28-12, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Rush and Ween.
I hated them for so long because my friends rammed them down my throat. I recently picked up the first Rush album and it's growing on me. As for Ween there's a handfull of songs I actually really enjoy. Mostly off Quebec and 12 Golden Country Greats.
I feel the same about Ween. Have you listened to White Pepper? That may be my fave.
Old 12-28-12, 05:37 PM

Hated The Beatles, and now I love them.

Hated The Rolling Stones, and now I love them.

Hated Pink Floyd, now I love them.

Hated Lou Reed and Warren Zevon, and now I love them.
Old 08-21-13, 12:48 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Black Sabbath

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.