Boardwalk Empire -- "Bone for Tuna" -- 9/30/12

Old 09-30-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Boardwalk Empire -- "Bone for Tuna" -- 9/30/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Margaret is accompanied by a reluctant Nucky to receive an honor from the church, and she finds a new audience to unveil her idea for a women's clinic. Meanwhile, Rosetti finally makes a deal to get a shipment of liquor; Richard puts Mickey in his place; and in Chicago, Van Alden finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Episode 3 of 12
Old 09-30-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- "Bone for Tuna" -- 9/30/12

Whoa, WATTA SEX KITTEN Van Alden has there! Meow (hurt me!)
Old 09-30-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That man is vicious - he was so full of rage over the "Bone For Tuna," and people not taking things "personally," that he took out his frustations on that cop by burning his tuna to death. It must have made him feel much better about everything.

I may not want him to die, for selfish reasons, but I would think I'd be a little disappointed if the man wasn't put down like a mad dog that he is before the season ends.
Old 09-30-12, 11:33 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each episode of this series seems better than the last. Good stuff all around.
Old 10-01-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Loved the scene with Richard, Mickey, and Nucky.

Richard is such a great character.
Old 10-01-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
That man is vicious - he was so full of rage over the "Bone For Tuna," and people not taking things "personally," that he took out his frustations on that cop by burning his tuna to death. It must have made him feel much better about everything.

I may not want him to die, for selfish reasons, but I would think I'd be a little disappointed if the man wasn't put down like a mad dog that he is before the season ends.
I was surprised he had the gall to mess with the shipment to begin with. That liquor was Rothstein's. Gissetti operates out of NY and Rothstein runs NY. I know he isn't very smart but it seems exceedingly stupid to run afoul of Nucky and Rothstein.
Old 10-01-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus

I love this show. That is all.

Okay, maybe not all. Off hand I can't think of anything on television since the Sopranos that had more of my attention than that scene.
Old 10-01-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus

The guy Richard killed was of use to Nucky, so for Richard to admit to killing him (for wanting the credit over Mickey)...without permission...would Nucky still be warm towards him? I know the victim wasn't mobbed up, so you don't need permission, but you can still get worked over just the same, depending on the value of the victim.
Old 10-01-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

The guy Richard killed was of use to Nucky, so for Richard to admit to killing him (for wanting the credit over Mickey)...without permission...would Nucky still be warm towards him? I know the victim wasn't mobbed up, so you don't need permission, but you can still get worked over just the same, depending on the value of the victim.
My opinion on that: I think in part it showed that by this point even the great Nucky poops his pants a little when Richard walks in the room. Nucky's power comes from reading people, and playing off their motivations, desires, prejudices, weaknesses, etc. Richard seems to have none of these, he is immune to Nucky's arsenal. That rattles Nucky, and he respects that.
Old 10-01-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And nucky doesn't have nearly the muscle that he used to. Even if nucky wanted to take him out, it might cost him more than he is willing to lose. He'd get him eventually, but in a killing field, richard is not one to be trifled with.
Old 10-01-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
My opinion on that: I think in part it showed that by this point even the great Nucky poops his pants a little when Richard walks in the room. Nucky's power comes from reading people, and playing off their motivations, desires, prejudices, weaknesses, etc. Richard seems to have none of these, he is immune to Nucky's arsenal. That rattles Nucky, and he respects that.
I think he also respected Richard's reason. Even though he made peace with Manny, I'm sure even Nucky had a problem with Angela's death. He liked Angela too.
Old 10-01-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Gyp is such an overdone character and coming along at a time when the authorities that are on the take are starting to go to great lengths to cover up their involvement in the booze trade it just seems like one of the big guns would crush him like a bug for being a bit too showy and troublesome. But since the writers seems to want to make him bigger than he is I can only hope for a season-ending Richard Harrow smackdown on one Mr. Rosetti.
Old 10-01-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

So now Nucky all of a sudden have Lewy Body too?
Old 10-02-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Can someone explain how Nucky got from NJ to NY to see his girlfriend and not passed through the town where Rosetti was fueling up his shipment.

When he asked for his driver to get his car, the reply was something like "at this time of night." So I have to assume that he did not hit the road at 5pm after he received his award. So the both of them should have been on the road at the same time.
Old 10-02-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Can someone explain how Nucky got from NJ to NY to see his girlfriend and not passed through the town where Rosetti was fueling up his shipment.

When he asked for his driver to get his car, the reply was something like "at this time of night." So I have to assume that he did not hit the road at 5pm after he received his award. So the both of them should have been on the road at the same time.
Rosetti left much earlier than Nucky. It was still daylight when he picked up the shipment. I'm sure Nucky passed through the town but there was probably no evidence of the sheriff's death at the time he went.
Old 10-02-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode. Loved the scene with Richard. He is one of the best characters on the show and I hope Nucky takes him on board, since he is wasted sitting behind a bar.

Can someone explain the etymology behind the phrase "bone for tuna"? How does this mean good luck? I admit I was utterly baffled when the Irish dude first said it. At first I thought it was intended as a slight. Like Nucky threw Rosetti a bone but he still gets the tuna (an unimpeded route to NY to cash in on his deal with Rothstein). Then Rosetti figured it was a well wish of good luck even though he is supposed to be kind of illiterate. Must be a period phrase?

EDIT: Okay, I thought about it and I get it now. He meant to say 'Good Luck' in Italian, which to an Irishman is apparently phonetically similar to 'bone for tuna'.

I agree that Rosetti's character is kind of an odd addition this season. I like how menacing and unpredictable he is, but I don't see how he is any match for Nucky or Rothstein - especially with Rosetti based in the latter's town. Points above about Nucky lacking muscle are well-taken, but the man has money, and muscle follows the money. Maybe Richard will be paying him a visit shortly.

Fact is Rosetti doesn't seem well connected and doesn't have much muscle himself. How hard would it really have been to disappear him at dinner? Everyone seems to think he is an unhinged lunatic, which is saying something considering these people.
Old 10-02-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Great episode. Loved the scene with Richard. He is one of the best characters on the show and I hope Nucky takes him on board, since he is wasted sitting behind a bar.

Can someone explain the etymology behind the phrase "bone for tuna"? How does this mean good luck? I admit I was utterly baffled when the Irish dude first said it. At first I thought it was intended as a slight. Like Nucky threw Rosetti a bone but he still gets the tuna (an unimpeded route to NY to cash in on his deal with Rothstein). Then Rosetti figured it was a well wish of good luck even though he is supposed to be kind of illiterate. Must be a period phrase?

EDIT: Okay, I thought about it and I get it now. He meant to say 'Good Luck' in Italian, which to an Irishman is apparently phonetically similar to 'bone for tuna'.

I agree that Rosetti's character is kind of an odd addition this season. I like how menacing and unpredictable he is, but I don't see how he is any match for Nucky or Rothstein - especially with Rosetti based in the latter's town. Points above about Nucky lacking muscle are well-taken, but the man has money, and muscle follows the money. Maybe Richard will be paying him a visit shortly.

Fact is Rosetti doesn't seem well connected and doesn't have much muscle himself. How hard would it really have been to disappear him at dinner? Everyone seems to think he is an unhinged lunatic, which is saying something considering these people.
Yeah, I assume it's "bon fortuna."
Old 10-02-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Buon Fortuna
Old 10-02-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

HBO renewed this for a 4th season today
Old 10-02-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

This is HBOs prestige series for the time being, I think it's safe until they get another one. Game of Thrones is their mix of critical acclaim and ratings, True Blood is their goldmine.
Old 10-02-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Hell, I'm afraid of simply talking about him and he's either a fictional character or been long since dead.
Old 10-02-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

When I think bone in tuna, I think about Mr. Johnson taking a trip to tuna town.
Old 10-02-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Buon Fortuna
Close, it's "Buona fortuna".

I liked the Richard, Nucky, Mikey scene, but I think Richard is too passive of Jimmy's death and I didn't like the reason he gave.

Gyp's shtick has gotten annoying and tired already.

Someone: Hi
Gyp: What's that supposed to mean?

Someone: Isn't it too early for dinner?
Gyp: Are you saying I can't tell time?

Someone: Looks like you got some dirt on your shoes
Gyp: You calling me a dirty wop, you fucking piece of shit!?

Why is Margaret still hanging around anyway?
Old 10-02-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Gyp's shtick has gotten annoying and tired already.

Someone: Hi
Gyp: What's that supposed to mean?

Someone: Isn't it too early for dinner?
Gyp: Are you saying I can't tell time?

Someone: Looks like you got some dirt on your shoes
Gyp: You calling me a dirty wop, you fucking piece of shit!?
Old 10-02-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're wise, Kid, if you don't open your mouth around Gyp.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.