Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Homeland -- Season Premiere -- "The Smile" -- 9/30/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the Season 2 premiere, Brody learns he is the political "future of the party," and receives a tantalizing offer from the vice president, while a recovering Carrie receives a disturbing request from a surprising source. In Beirut, Saul gets involved in some cloak-and-dagger doings.

12 episode 2nd season

Homeland won 6 Emmys last week including best actor, best actress, best writing and best drama. Hope to see more of you join in season 2.

Trailer:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1788895148001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1788895148001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 09-30-12, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Homeland -- Season Premiere -- "The Smile" -- 9/30/12

I cannot wait for this. That is an awesome and haunting trailer with the music.
Old 09-30-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so excited this is back on. What an incredible night of television!
Old 09-30-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I'm so excited this is back on. What an incredible night of television!
I am too, but you don't have to say it in every thread.
Old 09-30-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love "the smile" on Carrie's face when she escapes her pursuer. Good to have this back.

It makes for an incredible night of.....oh never mind.
Old 09-30-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious to see where this goes. I liked that Carrie's mission didn't actually go down this week, so it won't feel like we have a new mission for her to go on every week. makes it feel more like a movie
Old 09-30-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really liked it but I don't like seeing Carrie working without actually being part of the CIA.
Old 09-30-12, 11:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I really liked it but I don't like seeing Carrie working without actually being part of the CIA.
I don't mind it so far. I want to see it where it's going though. If it starts to get to the point where she's doing favors for them all the time then I probably won't like but we'll see. Maybe she gets a new position within the CIA or something.
Old 10-01-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
I am too, but you don't have to say it in every thread.
5 consecutive hours of my favorite shows this fall, all on the same night, so I didn't have something original for each thread.
Old 10-01-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
Love "the smile" on Carrie's face when she escapes her pursuer. Good to have this back.

It makes for an incredible night of.....oh never mind.
That smile alone is worth Emmy #2. Carrie is so badass without having her feel like a superhero spy.

If they give Morena Baccarin more dialogue like in this episode, she might might get a supporting actress nod and certainly Patinkin deserved one and should get one next year.

Even the actress who plays the daughter is fantastic.

Just love having this back. It's so well done.This is easily my favorite show on tv right now (Mad Men is not on right now.)

Last edited by dolphinboy; 10-01-12 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 01:16 AM

Outstanding! I also loved the smile Carrie had after shaking the guy. It was priceless! Really looking forward to seeing what happens this season. The preview after the show gave a lot of teases... I'm assuming it was for the whole season, not just next week.

Has anyone said how much time has passed since the season finale?
Old 10-01-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bdshort

Has anyone said how much time has passed since the season finale?
i'm guessing a few months. Carrie has a teaching job. Brody is now being vetted to potentially be vice president.
Old 10-01-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fantastic. Loved the smile, as everyone else has. Also, I love that they've put the daughter into a crazy elite school with the kids of the powerful. Looking forward to her shaking the shit up there even more.
Old 10-01-12, 07:57 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

This was great, and a LOT happened. Brody's wife now knows he's a muslim, and he stole secrets from the CIA. Crazy.

I had been wondering how they'd worked Carrie back in, and I thought the way they did it was perfect, though I do hope they work her back in to the CIA permanently, somehow.
Old 10-01-12, 08:14 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lady's argument for why Brody should help Nazir again, after he said he didn't want to do any more killing, sure wasn't very convincing. "We're in a war, you have to choose sides." Yet Brody was very easily turned. Didn't like that. And the moment at the end with the daughter offering to help him was lame.

Otherwise great as always.
Old 10-01-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aktick
The lady's argument for why Brody should help Nazir again, after he said he didn't want to do any more killing, sure wasn't very convincing. "We're in a war, you have to choose sides." Yet Brody was very easily turned. Didn't like that. And the moment at the end with the daughter offering to help him was lame.

Otherwise great as always.
Well, brody has already chosen his side, it's just a matter of to what degree, so it probably doesn't take a very compelling argument to get him to ratchet up his involvement. I think the other part they aren't spelling out is the dirt nazir has on brody now. He is back with his wife and kids, a congressman, soon to be vice-president. Life is good, and nazir can make it all come crumbling down for him with 1 video if he doesn't go along with the plan.
Old 10-01-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Brody rationalized that he was not an enemy of or out to hurt the US, but just of a few individuals, and mainly the VP. Now he is being pushed over the line into something he had convinced himself he was not. At least that's what I was seeing, but that fell away a bit too easily in his office. I expect that will be the season long internal conflict, but I will have a hard time buying it if he goes back and forth quite so easily, unless as you say he sees it as he is being blackmailed, in which case he isn't really flip flopping.

I don't care for the direction the daughter's character has gone. I get that she is a plot device, but she has suddeenly become a cliche.
Old 10-01-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by uteotw
This was great, and a LOT happened. Brody's wife now knows he's a muslim, and he stole secrets from the CIA. Crazy.

I had been wondering how they'd worked Carrie back in, and I thought the way they did it was perfect, though I do hope they work her back in to the CIA permanently, somehow.
I think a few of us guessed at the end of last season that Carrie would return to the CIA in more of an consultant/advisory role and that's pretty much how they got her back in this time around. And especially with asset having some crucial information about national security. She still has alot of respect for Saul and that's really the only reason why she's doing this.

Great premiere episode. Kinda of subdued, but the pacing IMO was perfect to get things going this season.

I did enjoy Carrie's conversation with David Estes and seeing how mad she was about getting fucked over by him and the CIA. If Saul wasn't involved with this mission, I think she would have told Estes to go fuck himself.

The scene that was also cool was her training with her name Canadian identity and struggling to focus and memorize.

at the smile at the end after they evaded the pursuer. That was definitely the highlight of the episode. I have to wonder if that was actually scripted or ad-libbed by Danes.
Old 10-01-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved the episode. Best show on TV right now.

For some reason the relationship between the daughter and Brody is my favorite plotline on the show. It just seems very real to me. I was actually hoping she'd display some doubts based on the phone call she had with him when she talked him down in the season finale, but kids see what they want to see I imagine.

One thing I thought was odd, if you're Nazir, would you want to do anything to jeopardize Brody right now? Currently he seems to be odds on favorite to be the VP on a supposedly sure-fire ticket. I get that he's probably a little concerned about Brody's loyalty, but I think you take that risk to put your guy as #2 in the chain of command, and with just one little bullet everything would change in the middle east.
Old 10-01-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sorta hoping Brody becomes the VP and they win the election and then the next year the President dies of some natural cause so Brody can't get his revenge and becomes POTUS.
Old 10-01-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I see that they are now using a body double for claire danes since she is pregnant, hopefully it doesn't interfere with the show. Damien lewis can't win with pregnant co-stars, it played a role in his last show getting cancelled (no sarah shahi = no ratings).
Old 10-01-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dave99
I see that they are now using a body double for claire danes since she is pregnant, hopefully it doesn't interfere with the show. Damien lewis can't win with pregnant co-stars, it played a role in his last show getting cancelled (no sarah shahi = no ratings).
Danes didn't look pregnant in this 1st episode. Since this show takes about 6 months to film, I have to assume in later episodes this season they will do more closeup shots of her and have her wear more looser clothes.
Old 10-01-12, 02:02 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
Loved the episode. Best show on TV right now.

For some reason the relationship between the daughter and Brody is my favorite plotline on the show. It just seems very real to me. I was actually hoping she'd display some doubts based on the phone call she had with him when she talked him down in the season finale, but kids see what they want to see I imagine.
the teenage daughter is such a good actress. they need more with her. the only thing i didn't like was her helping him at the end. kinda creepy how she always seems to be around when he's doing something unusual.
Old 10-01-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
Danes didn't look pregnant in this 1st episode. Since this show takes about 6 months to film, I have to assume in later episodes this season they will do more closeup shots of her and have her wear more looser clothes.
Yeah, the story where damien lewis says they use a body double just came out, so perhaps they are filming the end of the season around now?
Old 10-01-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

So much for the dreaded "sophomore slump"...the show is still fantastic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.