Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

PROMISED LAND (2012) (dir. Gus Van Sant) (Matt Damon, John Krasinski)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AHQt1NAkhIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A salesman for a natural gas company experiences life-changing events after arriving in a small town, where his corporation wants to tap into the available resources.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2091473/
Old 09-23-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: PROMISED LAND (2012) (dir. Gus Van Sant) (Matt Damon, John Krasinski)

That looks pretty solid.
Old 09-23-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't expect big things, but I like how Matt Damon's character is not automatically evil. It's always more interesting when everyone's fighting over their own concept of what's best.
Old 09-23-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, Krasinski looks almost tolerable.
Old 09-23-12, 02:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Written by Damon and Krasinski as well. Looks good.
Old 09-23-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wih Van Sant behind the wheel, i'm sure it'll be better than it looks.
Old 09-24-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of Krasinski and Damon, so I'm there.
Old 09-29-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Apparently, this had to go through a quick rewrite during production when real life events that inspired the script turned out to be fraudulent. (Spoilerized because this article reveals a major plot point not apparent in the trailer.)

Spoiler:
For his next escape
Matt Damon’s troubled anti-frack film
By PHELIM MCALEER
Last Updated: 12:23 AM, September 26, 2012
Posted: 10:24 PM, September 25, 2012

Matt Damon and John Krasinski ran into a big problem while making their film “Promised Land”; how they solved it tells us a lot about Hollywood.

Some time ago, the two actors decided to make a movie about fracking — a method of getting once-inaccessible oil and gas out of the ground that has become the bête noire of many environmentalists.

The two wrote a screenplay they said was about “American identity . . . and what defines us as a country.”

It was the usual Hollywood script. We all know the . . . drill: Damon’s character works for an “evil” oil company. He comes to small-town America and sells locals a dangerous bill of goods.

Then he encounters two problems — his corporate heart is melted by an attractive local woman and Krasinki’s character, an environmentalist, reveals the oil company plan to exploit, pollute and leave.

Shocked townspeople feel betrayed. Damon is conflicted — will he go with the company and his career, or with his heart and ride back into town in his white SUV, denounce the oil company and save the day?

The filmmakers were so pleased with the script that they announced it would be promoted as a potential Oscar winner.

But then came trouble.

I broke the news that “Promised Land” was about fracking and now I can reveal that the script’s seen some very hasty rewriting because of real-world evidence that anti-fracking activists may be the true villains.

In courtroom after courtroom, it has been proved that anti-fracking activists have been guilty of fraud or misrepresentation.

There was Dimock, Pa. — the likely inspiration for “Promised Land,” which is also set in Pennsylvania. Dimock featured in countless news reports, with Hollywood celebrities even bringing water to 11 families who claimed fracking had destroyed their water and their lives.

But while “Promised Land” was in production, the story of Dimock collapsed. The state investigated and its scientists found nothing wrong. So the 11 families insisted EPA scientists investigate. They did — and much to the dismay of the environmental movement found the water was not contaminated.

There was Wolf Eagle Environmental Engineers in Texas, a group that produced a frightening video of a flaming house water pipe and claimed a gas company had polluted the water. But a judge just found that the tape was an outright fraud — Wolf Eagle connected the house gas pipe to a hose and lit the water.

Other “pollution” cases collapsed in Wyoming and Colorado. Even Josh Fox, who with his Oscar-nominated documentary “Gasland” first raised concerns about flammable water, has had to admit he withheld evidence that fracking was not responsible.

These frauds and misrepresentations created huge problems for the Damon/Krasinski script about “what defines us as a country.”

So, according to sources close to the movie, they’ve come up with a solution — suggest that anti-fracking fraudsters are really secret agents employed by the fossil-fuel industry to discredit the environmental movement.

In the revised script, Damon exposes Krasinski as a fraud — only to realize that Krasinski’s character is working deep undercover for the oil industry to smear fracking opponents.

Hollywood is worried about declining theater audiences; it’s blaming the Internet and the recession. But the real problem might be closer to home.

Damon and Krasinski said they were making a movie that “defines us as a country” but then shoehorned ideology into a script — and when real-world events became a problem, they shoehorned in more ideology.

The simple truth about fracking is that much of the opposition is being driven by proven liars, charlatans and fraudsters — some driven by zealotry, others by hunger to win a big lawsuit.

There is a war going on in parts of America between impoverished locals and urban elites. These elites are using fraud, exaggeration and celebrity star power to stop rural communities from prospering through gas drilling.

Sounds like a great setting for a movie. Unfortunately for America, it’s not one Hollywood is going to make anytime soon.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...rAaCey67ZzZV0I[/quote]

Fun Fact! This movie was funded in part by OPEC member the United Arab Emirates. (Spoilerized, again, for the same reveal.)

Spoiler:
Matt Damon’s Anti-Fracking Movie Financed by Oil-Rich Arab Nation
Lachlan Markay
September 28, 2012 at 8:03 am

A new film starring Matt Damon presents American oil and natural gas producers as money-grubbing villains purportedly poisoning rural American towns. It is therefore of particular note that it is financed in part by the royal family of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates.

The creators of Promised Land have gone to absurd lengths to vilify oil and gas companies, as Scribe’s Michael Sandoval noted Wednesday. Since recent events have demonstrated the relative environmental soundness of hydraulic fracturing – a technique for extracting oil and gas from shale formations – Promised Land’s script has been altered to make doom-saying environmentalists the tools of oil companies attempting to discredit legitimate “fracking” concerns.

While left-leaning Hollywood often targets supposed environmental evildoers, Promised Land was also produced “in association with” Image Media Abu Dhabi, a subsidiary of Abu Dhabi Media, according to the preview’s list of credits. A spokesperson with DDA Public Relations, which runs PR for Participant Media, the company that developed the film fund backing Promised Land, confirmed that AD Media is a financier. The company is wholly owned by the government of the UAE.

The UAE, a member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), has a stake in the future of the American fossil fuel industry. Hydraulic fracturing has increased the United States’ domestic supply of crude oil and natural gas in areas such as the Bakken shale formation and has the potential to increase domestic production much more in the foreseeable future. That means more oil on the market, and hence lower prices for a globally traded commodity.

Fracking is boosting the country’s natural gas supply as well. While the market for American natural gas is primarily domestic, the Energy Department recently approved Cheniere Energy’s plan to export about 2.2 billion cubic feet of liquefied natural gas per day from Louisiana. The Department is considering LNG export applications from seven other companies.

A strong global market presence for American natural gas could also work to the UAE’s disadvantage. The Arab nation ranks seventh worldwide in proven natural gas reserves. For instance, Japan’s energy imports are expected to rise significantly over the next five years. The country is currently a major importer of UAE natural gas. If it decided to import more LNG from the United States to accommodate its increased energy demands, it could deal a blow to the UAE economy.

Another source of competition might come from other industries that use natural gas to manufacture other products. As American gas grows cheaper the United States becomes a more attractive destination for industries that manufacture petroleum-intensive products. The UAE, meanwhile, has invested billions attempting to shore up its own share of the plastics and chemicals markets, both of which rely on petroleum products and are likely to gravitate towards the cheapest sources of those products.

All of this suggests a direct financial interest on the UAE’s part in slowing the development of America’s natural gas industry. Pop culture can be a powerful means to sway public opinion. While Promised Land, like anti-fracking documentary Gasland, appears to inflate the dangers of hydraulic fracturing, it may have an impact on the public’s view of the practice.

Heritage’s James Dean contributed to this report.

Note: AD Media’s role in financing Promised Land was confirmed by a spokesperson with DDA Public Affairs, not a representative from AD Media itself. This post has been corrected to reflect that fact.
http://blog.heritage.org/2012/09/28/...h-arab-nation/
Old 09-29-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gus van Sant is one of my favorite currently working directors, but his films can vary wildly in quality. I loved his run from Gerry to Milk, but last year's Restless was pretty terrible, in my opinion. I'll definitely see this, but it's really hard to predict whether one of his films will be good or not.
Old 09-29-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, how long into the movie before Damon and Krasinski have a gay sex scene?
Old 09-29-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
So, how long into the movie before Damon and Krasinski have a gay sex scene?
Into the movie, or into the production?

That article above has a big spoiler in it (assuming it's treated as a major plot point in the film).
Old 12-28-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm surprised this has gotten mixed reviews, the trailer makes it seem like an awards contender. 48% on RT and 53 on Metacritic.
Old 12-29-12, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This looks really smarmy and incredibly hokey. I like Gus and Damon, but this seems like a paint by numbers feel good Hallmark channel movie of the week.
Old 12-29-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Gus van Sant is one of my favorite currently working directors, but his films can vary wildly in quality. I loved his run from Gerry to Milk

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I like Gus and Damon, but this seems like a paint by numbers feel good Hallmark channel movie of the week.
Old 12-29-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Apparently, this had to go through a quick rewrite during production when real life events that inspired the script turned out to be fraudulent. (Spoilerized because this article reveals a major plot point not apparent in the trailer.)

Fun Fact! This movie was funded in part by OPEC member the United Arab Emirates. (Spoilerized, again, for the same reveal.)

The twist reported by McAleer is confirmed here:

This looks like a big frakking (pun intended) mess. At present it's only 48% positive on Rotten Tomatoes and audience reaction is an anemic 39% liked.
Old 01-04-13, 12:24 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I saw this tonight (for free).
The spoilers above are accurate, which makes this movie very frustrating. There are things I genuinely liked about it, but overall, it's quite a mess.

Spoiler:
When Krazinski's character reveals that he works for the same oil company, it makes a lot of his previous scenes outright dumb. Why would he demonstrate the "devastating" effects of fracking to a bunch of school kids? That ultimately serves no purpose. Yes, an REAL environmentalist might do that so the kids start asking their parents about it, but there's now way an "evil oil company guy" would go THAT far to tarnish his own company's image. Further, I didn't buy Matt Damon's speech at the end, because I didn't feel like his character really got to that mindset. His "fuck you money" speech was FAR more effective, in my opinion.

I only recommend catching this when it shows up on Netflix.

edit: Also, I live in an oil-rich part of Canada, so I'm biased or something.
Old 01-04-13, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Seeing this tomorrow, but I've been reading the spoilers and have a question:
Spoiler:
What is the explanation given in the movie for putting in a plant from the company in the town? What was the motivation for the company to do that as explained in the movie?
Old 01-04-13, 07:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Seeing this tomorrow, but I've been reading the spoilers and have a question:
Spoiler:
What is the explanation given in the movie for putting in a plant from the company in the town? What was the motivation for the company to do that as explained in the movie?
Spoiler:
I can't remember the exact moment when he comes to town, but it's very shortly after the local science teacher goes on a bit of a rant about fracking at the town hall meeting. The company sent him in as soon as they sensed that there was going to be some resistance, according to the character that plays the plant. What bothers me about this is, as mentioned in the articles posted in this thread, it suggests that any or all of the real " environmentalists" in the real world that were found to be frauds were probably just planted there by the big evil oil companies. I'm not familiar with the cases, but I don't think that was the right way to spin the movie when the original story fell apart.

The more I think about this film this morning, the more I dislike it for the way it will manipulate viewers. I noticed the Abu Dhabi credit at the beginning immediately, but most people will think nothing of it.
Old 01-04-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, ok, so at least now it makes sense. So something like this:

Spoiler:

- One of the farmers had negative consequences due to the drilling
- Plant comes in with documentation all against frakking and at the end he's found to be a fraud, hence diminishing the farmer's credibility
- Town gets disgusted with the plant and the farmer, lumping them together, and ignores them, going on with the drilling
- So the film them is PRO frakking?
Old 01-04-13, 09:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Nope! I may explain the plot further, but not right now. But it's almost the exact opposite of what you're guessing.

Alright, here it is. I may have left out certain points, but you'll get the idea... this is pretty much the entire plot.
Spoiler:

- Natural Gas guy and girl come to smalltown USA to convince people to lease their land because there's millions of dollars worth of natural gas under their feet. The salesmen are obviously over-confident.
- Things mostly go well until the town hall when Mr. Science Teacher says he's read about fracking on Google and it sounds like it's bad. The community decides that they want to vote on it... in three weeks.
- Mr. Environmentalist shows up and convinces nearly everyone to tell the NG folks to go fuck themselves. He tells them about his home town in Nebraska, where fracking occurred and the cows and crops died. "They just died!" He's got pictures of dead cows to show everyone, which they gladly display on their properties in an act of defiance against The Man.
- Insert an hour or so of conflict between these people including a love triangle, a bribe attempt, etc.
- Insert revelation that Mr. Science Teacher is *gasp* a retired Engineer and is actually pretty smart. He just teaches for fun.
- Natural Gas guy slowly but surely breaks down. He's not a bad guy, he just works for a bad company, right?
- The day before the vote, Natural Gas guy gets a package with evidence that Mr. Environmentalist is full of shit. The picture of dead cows he's been spreading is actually from the coast of Louisiana (or some place), not Nebraska. There's a lighthouse in the background. No lighthouses in Nebraska.
- Natural Gas guy regains his confidence until...
- He confronts Mr. Environmentalist as he leaves the hotel. He pressures him enough to spill the beans: He's actually working undercover FOR the Gas company. His job was to be the "environmentalist that breaks the hearts of the locals" so they'd be sure to lease their land to the gas company. Zing!
- Mr. Natural Gas realizes that he works for The Man, tells the locals everything, and gets fired. But it's okay because he kinda sorta gets the girl (see: the love triangle mentioned above)

Moral of the story: Fracking companies are super evil. Environmentalists don't have enough funding. Real environmentalists that have been proven to have faked evidence (ie: lighting "water" on fire, etc.) are suggested to really just be undercover agents for the gas companies, so anytime you see stories about claims that end up being fake, the gas companies are to blame. Obviously.

Last edited by Dan; 01-04-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-04-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, ok, so at least now it makes sense. So something like this:

Spoiler:

- So the film them is PRO frakking?
From Hollywood? I don't think so.
Old 01-04-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
^ Nope! I may explain the plot further, but not right now. But it's almost the exact opposite of what you're guessing.

Alright, here it is. I may have left out certain points, but you'll get the idea... this is pretty much the entire plot.
Spoiler:

- Natural Gas guy and girl come to smalltown USA to convince people to lease their land because there's millions of dollars worth of natural gas under their feet. The salesmen are obviously over-confident.
- Things mostly go well until the town hall when Mr. Science Teacher says he's read about fracking on Google and it sounds like it's bad. The community decides that they want to vote on it... in three weeks.
- Mr. Environmentalist shows up and convinces nearly everyone to tell the NG folks to go fuck themselves. He tells them about his home town in Nebraska, where fracking occurred and the cows and crops died. "They just died!" He's got pictures of dead cows to show everyone, which they gladly display on their properties in an act of defiance against The Man.
- Insert an hour or so of conflict between these people including a love triangle, a bribe attempt, etc.
- Insert revelation that Mr. Science Teacher is *gasp* a retired Engineer and is actually pretty smart. He just teaches for fun.
- Natural Gas guy slowly but surely breaks down. He's not a bad guy, he just works for a bad company, right?
- The day before the vote, Natural Gas guy gets a package with evidence that Mr. Environmentalist is full of shit. The picture of dead cows he's been spreading is actually from the coast of Louisiana (or some place), not Nebraska. There's a lighthouse in the background. No lighthouses in Nebraska.
- He confronts Mr. Environmentalist as he leaves the hotel. He pressures him enough to spill the beans: He's actually working undercover FOR the Gas company. His job was to be the "environmentalist that breaks the hearts of the locals" so they'd be sure to lease their land to the gas company. Zing!
- Mr. Natural Gas realizes that he works for The Man, tells the locals everything, and gets fired. But it's okay because he kinda sorta gets the girl (see: the love triangle mentioned above)

Moral of the story: Fracking companies are super evil. Environmentalists don't have enough funding. Real environmentalists that have been proven to have faked evidence (ie: lighting "water" on fire, etc.) are suggested to really just be undercover agents for the gas companies, so anytime you see stories about claims that end up being fake, the gas companies are to blame. Obviously.
. This film looks like it deserves Razzies it won't get.
Old 01-04-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't get how the plan
Spoiler:
the company had for the plants. HOW was he going to turn the townspeople after telling them fracking was bad?
Old 01-04-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
this seems like a paint by numbers feel good Hallmark channel movie of the week.
Yeah. All the ads give me that same vibe.

Originally Posted by SomethingMore

Spoiler:

My goodness. That was so aweful it made my head hurt. I get the news revelation backed them into a corner but their solution was idiotic.

I still don't get how the plan
Spoiler:
the company had for the plants. HOW was he going to turn the townspeople after telling them fracking was bad?
Spoiler:
I guess because they wouldn't believe real anti-frakkers and their evidence.

Basically they were trying to defuse a situation that didn't even exist.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-04-13 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a rewrite of Local Hero which was a good film for it's characters not it's hackneyed story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.