Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Songwriter Hal David, 1921-2012

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/02/ar...t-91.html?_r=1

Hal David, Songwriter, Is Dead at 91

By ROB HOERBURGER

Published: September 1, 2012

Hal David, the Oscar- and Grammy-winning lyricist who in the 1960s and ’70s gave pop music vernacular the questions “What’s It All About?,” “What’s New, Pussycat?,” “Do You Know the Way to San Jose?” and “What Do You Get When You Fall in Love?,” died on Saturday in Los Angeles. He was 91 and lived in Los Angeles.

The cause was a stroke, according to his wife, Eunice, who said he died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Mr. David, whose lyrics could be anguished pleas, wistful yearnings, sexy mash notes or wry musings — sometimes all four in the same song — was best known for the long strand of hits that he and the composer Burt Bacharach wrote for Dionne Warwick.

He was something of a late bloomer: he did not have his first Top 10 hit — “Magic Moments,” recorded by Perry Como — until 1958, when Mr. David was in his late 30s. His greatest achievements came well after he turned 40, when many other successful songwriters were half his age and many young performers were writing their own songs.

Mr. David’s words also found fertile ground on Broadway, in the hit musical “Promises, Promises”; in the movies, in the Oscar-winning song “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head” from “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid”; and even at weddings, in the classic first-dance song “(They Long to Be) Close to You.”

If Mr. David and Mr. Bacharach’s oeuvre was more cosmopolitan and less hip than that of the Beatles or Bob Dylan, their ruminations on love and heartbreak have nonetheless endured; after all, not everyone went to Woodstock. Their alternate ’60s was populated on the one hand by the turtleneck-and-martini set, embodied by the likes of Tom Jones (who had a hit with “What’s New, Pussycat?”) or the debonair Mr. Bacharach himself; and on the other hand by the Everywoman just breaking in her first pair of workplace shoes, like the protagonist of “I Say a Little Prayer,” who runs “for the bus, dear” and while riding thinks “of us, dear.”

“I Say a Little Prayer,” a No. 4 hit in 1967, was the most successful of the three dozen or so singles that Mr. David and Mr. Bacharach wrote and produced for Ms. Warwick, whom they met in 1961 when they were journeymen on the New York music-publishing scene and she was a 20-year-old backup singer.

After she sang on some demo recordings of their songs, a disgruntled Ms. Warwick complained to them, “Don’t make me over, man.” Mr. David turned that line into a full lyric, with an unusual (for the time) feminist stance, and Ms. Warwick’s recording of the resulting song, “Don’t Make Me Over,” became her first hit, in early 1963. From then until mid-1971, rarely a month went by when the troika were not represented on the Billboard singles chart, with charismatic hits like “Walk On By,” “Message to Michael,” “Alfie” and “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again.”

With Ms. Warwick’s voice in place, Mr. David found his own — writing with the intense romanticism of the Tin Pan Alley songwriters he grew up admiring, but replacing the literary curlicues of, say, Lorenz Hart or Oscar Hammerstein II with a conversational emotionalism.

Many years later, Mr. David wrote on his Web site that he strove for “believability, simplicity and emotional impact” in his lyrics. His words, combined with the slaloms of Mr. Bacharach’s melodies and rhythms, often drew — and required — the most skilled technicians and interpreters of the time. Among them were Dusty Springfield (“Wishin’ and Hopin’,” “The Look of Love”), Gene Pitney (“Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa”) and Karen Carpenter (“Close to You”).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kafVkPxjLYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VILWkqlQLWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-03-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: RIP Songwriter Hal David, 1921-2012

? There's no "S" in Hal David.
Old 09-03-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
? There's no "S" in Hal David.
Huh? Did I misspell it somewhere?
Old 09-05-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Hal wrote the lyrics. Burt just wrote the tunes.

RIP Hal.
Old 09-06-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy wrote something like 35 number ones. That's insane.
Old 09-08-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Only now, he’s married to Carole Bayer Sager.