Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Lead Actor? Hayden Christenson in AOTC vs. Casper VanDien in StarshipTroopers?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who gives the worst leading performance?
Hayden Christenson in Attack of the Clones
79.66%
Caper Van Dien in Starship Troopers
10.17%
twikoff in twikoff does Dallas
10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Worst Lead Actor? Hayden Christenson in AOTC vs. Casper VanDien in StarshipTroopers?

Old 08-26-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

There always seems to be a thread on the front page here asking which of these two is the best. I wanna see which of these two is the worst. These two actors were asked to headline their respective movies:Attack of the Clones and Starship Troopers but both are just not very good at all. At various points, they're asked to bring an intensity or maybe to woo their leading ladies. I would laugh at both of their "mean" faces and if I were a woman, I'm not sure which one I'd let cry in my arms while I waited for a real man. So, with that said, who do you think is the worst?

Personally, I think Hayden is worse. It can be argued that Casper is supposed to be bad and his badness fits the whole aesthetic of the movie. I can't help but break into a sly smile when Casper says "Kill them all!" Hayden makes me groan but not in a good way plus he's shown he can be good in stuff like Shattered Glass. Also, Darth Vader is iconic and casting a pretty boy was a wrong move. I'm not worried when he turns to the dark side, I don't care.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks. I realize its not always the actors' fault if a part is written shittily or maybe the director requested the actor play it a certain way. I just wanted to pick on them I guess. I don't know. Shit.
Old 08-26-12, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Worst Lead Actor? Hayden Christenson in AOTC vs. Casper VanDien in StarshipTroop

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
There always seems to be a thread on the front page here asking which of these two is the best. I wanna see which of these two is the worst. These two actors were asked to headline their respective movies:Attack of the Clones and Starship Troopers but both are just not very good at all. At various points, they're asked to bring an intensity or maybe to woo their leading ladies. I would laugh at both of their "mean" faces and if I were a woman, I'm not sure which one I'd let cry in my arms while I waited for a real man. So, with that said, who do you think is the worst?

Personally, I think Hayden is worse. It can be argued that Casper is supposed to be bad and his badness fits the whole aesthetic of the movie. I can't help but break into a sly smile when Casper says "Kill them all!" Hayden makes me groan but not in a good way plus he's shown he can be good in stuff like Shattered Glass. Also, Darth Vader is iconic and casting a pretty boy was a wrong move. I'm not worried when he turns to the dark side, I don't care.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks. I realize its not always the actors' fault if a part is written shittily or maybe the director requested the actor play it a certain way. I just wanted to pick on them I guess. I don't know. Shit.
I'm calling bullshit on this.
Old 08-26-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Worst Lead Actor? Hayden Christenson in AOTC vs. Casper VanDien in StarshipTroop

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm calling bullshit on this.
Okay. I have no evidence to back up my claim so I call bullshit on myself also.
Old 08-26-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Casper is much cooler.
Old 08-26-12, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fucker.

back on topic:

I know HC has been in other movies I've heard of..never even knew Starship Troopers guy's name. So.....I'm going w/ Starship Trooper guy.
Old 08-26-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Does Casper's character in Starship Troopers hate sand? Because Anakin hates sand so much that Hayden gives the single worst acting in any scene in the history of motion pictures.
Old 08-26-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eli Wallach
Old 08-26-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Beth
Old 08-26-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

De Niro, hands down.
Old 08-26-12, 01:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The kids in Starship Troopers are meant to be flat and jingoistic. Anakin Skywalker was supposed to be nuanced. Christensen loses.
Old 08-26-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Fuck.

I picked Hayden. I didn't have any issues with Casper, his performance fit the movie.
Old 08-26-12, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of which apparently Casper has been asked to do dancing with the stars.
Old 08-26-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Speaking of which apparently Casper has been asked to do dancing with the stars.
I guess all that Python money must have run out. The Syfy Channel just doesn't pay like it used to.
Old 08-26-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Hayden, no question IMO. Casper had a bit more of a grasp on what he was doing and what kind of movie he was making.
Old 08-26-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Of these two performances, Christenson's is worse, even though he's overall a better actor than Van Dien. (See: Shattered Glass)
Old 08-26-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't change a thing about Caper Van Dien's performance in Starship Troopers. I love that movie as is.
Old 08-26-12, 07:52 PM
En vacance

The twikoff option is like a delicious treat and I love it being a dvdtalk tradition.
Old 08-26-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

The acting in Starship Troopers was supposed to be flat. It's a fascist recruitment movie.

AOTC could have been better.
Old 08-26-12, 10:30 PM

I wonder if Brando, Olivier or Anthony Hopkins could pull off some of the dialogue that Hayden Christenson had to work with in AOTC?
Old 08-27-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

Lots of actors can handle bad dialogue. Take a look at 1960s adventure television programs. Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack, and Lorne Greene could make the exposition sound good and then carry you until the next action sequence. Lucas didn't hired someone with that skill.
Old 08-27-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I liked Casper, and really thought he would do well in action after Startship. Then Tarzan happened.

Oh yeah, Hayden.
Old 08-27-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Hayden.
Old 08-27-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Easy... Hayden.