Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Counting Cars discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Counting Cars on the History channel discussion thread

Tonight was much better. They are emphasizing the supporting crew a lot and those guys are funny as hell. I loved that red El Camino, and the bike for the disabled man was a nice touch.

The Ranchero truck, though, what a pile (to quote Rick Dale). I don't know if they arranged to have those pieces fall off when they did but damn that was funny. They had me until the end, when they sold it to Rick Harrison. Then I just rolled my eyes.

Last edited by Traxan; 09-04-12 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-26-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Counting Cars discussion thread

I'm not sure why but I've been watching. Danny is certainly an amusing and entertaining host but chasing down strangers in the streets to talk to them about their hot rides is kind of creepy.
Old 08-26-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, did you see the episode with the custom Ford with 2 engines in it? That thing was sick. So was the car collection. That guy had to have some serious wealth.

Last edited by Traxan; 08-26-12 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-26-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Show is kind of amusing and the cars that get featured have been pretty cool so far. I wish they would show more of the work behind what they do.
Old 08-26-12, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I wish they would show more of the work behind what they do.
Exactly. They set the tone for me with the preview episode with the "Bullitt" restore for Rick. I want to see the work, not the contrived hijinks of the workers. This shift in focus completely ruined American Restoration for me.
Old 08-26-12, 08:29 PM

Seems like this is the norm for all these semi scripted reality shows. American Chopper is the perfect example. Started out as a show about building custom bikes and ended up a soap opera.
Old 08-26-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing is, what are we missing? Sanding down metal, ripping out old interior, and painting and replacing. How much variance can there be? Best to just cut to the chase in a 30 minute show.

The thing is, I get the impression Danny's crew really are being themselves, especially his biz guy.
Old 08-26-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do get a chuckle of how they make fun of their Hungarian detailer's accent. Even he laughs about it.

I know a lot of this is made up, but I also get a laugh out of Count deciding to keep cars to the detriment of the business. Even if things are made up, you know that probably has truly happened a few times before.
Old 08-26-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Traxan
The thing is, what are we missing? Sanding down metal, ripping out old interior, and painting and replacing. How much variance can there be?
American Hot Rod showed a lot of that stuff and it was interesting. Every car was a different challenge.
Old 08-27-12, 07:26 AM

The thing is, what are we missing? Sanding down metal, ripping out old interior, and painting and replacing. How much variance can there be? Best to just cut to the chase in a 30 minute show.
Yeah, the show length hurts it in that respect. I'd still like to see more of how they come up with the things they do to each vehicle/project. That bike with the wheelchair sidecar, how'd they do that?? We don't know because it all happened off screen.
Old 08-30-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson was on today with a custom '59 Thunderbird. That woman is ridiculously hot for over 60. Loved her headlights joke, too.

But Scott's whining about money is getting old already.
Old 08-31-12, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really loved what they did with Elvira's car, that's been my favorite one thus far.
Old 08-31-12, 07:48 AM

Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson was on today with a custom '59 Thunderbird. That woman is ridiculously hot for over 60. Loved her headlights joke, too.

But Scott's whining about money is getting old already.
Absolutely. She actually looked better in her "normal" attire than in her Elvira get-up.

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I really loved what they did with Elvira's car, that's been my favorite one thus far.
I agree with this too. The trunk was cool.
Old 08-31-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the whole episode from the History site:

http://www.history.com/shows/countin...tanic-mechanic

Last edited by Traxan; 08-31-12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tonight's (9/4) episode had some moments, especially that "This car kicked some Kardashian-sized ass." Car was sweet, too.
Old 09-04-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Anyone want to give a channel for this?

Where's Djariya when you need him.
Old 09-04-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

History
Old 09-04-12, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've tried editing the thread so the headline/subject says History but it won't be added. Board won't allow the thread title to be changed.
Old 09-06-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I prefer Fast and Loud (Gas Monkey) over this.
Old 09-06-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Discovery has a similar show in the works. This one is set in Texas and repair crews go through junk yards looking for old junkers. Could be a little more genuine than pulling up to strangers on the street.
Old 09-06-12, 12:43 PM

After the latest ep, I'm starting to wonder if some of these street hunts are recreated. Something about the one with the bike seemed this way. Especially after the guy blew him off and then he chases after again with his buddy expressing concern.
Old 09-06-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ This is a reality show... EVERYTHING can be assumed to be faked, or at the very least set up by producers.

Having said that, I like this show. Danny is a cool dude, and he has a certain cadence to his voice that I could listen to all day. Right now I like it better than Pawn Stars.
Old 09-06-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dunno. I prefer the melodic tones of Chumly's voice. Lol

This show is embarressingly bad. Much better auto restoration shows out there. History had that one pretty good Pawn Stars spin off, American Restoration, but I think they went to that well too many times.
Old 09-07-12, 08:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The show is pretty good and Danny is a likeable guy but do they want us to believe that Danny has a camera guy with him at all times to catch him flagging down someone who's car he wants to buy? (and when he does get the owners to pull over do any of them ever say "Why is there a camera poitning at me??!!") The street hunts are definitely created.
I've also been giving "Fish Tank Kings" a try and noticed most of these types of reality shows create drama that is so fake and so similar in every episode that it takes away from the show and theyd be much better without . In FTK the owner accepts a project and agrees on a ridiculous deadline and his right hand man will bitch about it and whine "It'll never happen"!... but it always does...in EVERY episode I've seen.
Counting Cars just has Danny's money guy going against pretty much every decision Danny makes to create the drama. Less drama and more insight on the projects themselves would make these both better shows IMO.
Old 09-08-12, 06:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Discovery has a similar show in the works. This one is set in Texas and repair crews go through junk yards looking for old junkers. Could be a little more genuine than pulling up to strangers on the street.
There was a show a few years ago called "wreckes to riches" on discovery that was exactly like this. It was a decent show. Discovery also had "Desert Valley Car Kings"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.