Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Best EA Sports Games of All Time.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
The Best EA Sports Games of All Time.

Some of the best sports video games of all time have been developed by EA Sports. The Madden series, the Tiger Woods PGA games, the list goes on and on. Since we're on the subject of EA Sports games I thought I would take on the difficult task of ranking the top 25 EA Sports games of all time.

Let's get to it. Here are the best 25 EA Sports video games of all time:

25: NHL 2001, PS2, Oct. 17, 2000: This game makes my list because it was the first professional hockey game to come out for the PS2. You could play with or against all 30 teams and you could even play with an International squad.

24: Triple Play 2000, PS, Mar. 27, 1999:
The best thing about this game was the Big League Challenge Mode. Babe Ruth was on there, Cy Young was on there, Willie Mays, and several more. This really was a cool game.

23: NBA Live '99, PS, Nov. 6, 1998:
Who didn't like this game? This was a total gem. You could make this game as realistic as you wanted. NBA Live '99 was everything you could possible want in a basketball sim.

22: World Cup 1998, N64, May 18, 1998: World Cup 1998 was the perfect storm of soccer video games. It was the best soccer game out there at the time. My favorite part of this game was the World Cup Mode. That and the World Cup Classics where you could replay soccer matches of old.

21: MVP Baseball 2005, Xbox, Feb. 22, 2005:
They don't make them like this anymore. This was the ultimate in baseball video games. Anything you could think about wanting to do, this game had it. Even today this game goes down as one of the best baseball games ever.

20: John Madden Football '93, Sega, 1993: Isn't this where it all started? At the time I had never seen such a realistic football game. I remember begging my mom to let me skip school so I could stay home and play this one. I've been an avid Madden gamer since.

19: Tiger Woods '99, PS, Nov. 25, 1998: Tiger Woods '99 was all kinds of fun. I liked this game because you didn't have to be a golf expert to enjoy it. It was easy to play and highly addicting. The only thing that got on my nerves was that stupid club music. Man that was annoying!

18: NBA Live 2005, Xbox, Sept. 28, 2004: This was one of those games that was impossible to put down once you got into it. The Dynasty Mode was insanely deep and the online play was even better. NBA '05 is definitely an EA classic.

17: Madden NFL 2003, Xbox, Aug. 13, 2002:
I was so geeked when this game came out. I couldn't wait to see the Houston Texans and the new NFL division alignments. At the time, this was the best Madden that I had played.

16: NASCAR Thunder 2004, Xbox, Sept. 16, 2003: I'm not normally a fan of racing games but this game was uber cool. There were 23 tracks to choose from, a ton of different car options, and the graphics on this thing were tight. I was really surprised how much I liked this game.

15: NBA Street Vol. 2, PS2, Apr. 29, 2003: I usually prefer sims when I play sports video games but NBA Street 2 is the exception to the rule. Remember the old school players with their short shorts and high socks? Totally classic!

14: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006, Xbox 360, Nov. 16, 2005: After reconfiguring the control system, Tiger Woods 2006 became the best golf game on the market. I played this game to death. It's not quite top 10, but it's still one sweet game.

13: NFL Street 2, Xbox, Dec. 22, 2004:
This game was crazy! You could run up the walls, climb buildings, and basically do the impossible. Street 2 was an arcade style football game that offered hours of entertaining and wild football.

12: Knockout Kings 2000, PS, Nov. 1, 1999:
This was the ultimate back in the day. I loved it. I used to create a boxer and see if I could go through the ranks undefeated. I also enjoyed recreating some of boxing's classic moments. This game was a knockout! Did that sound cheesy?

11: NBA Live 10, Xbox 360, Oct. 6, 2009:
Having the ability to connect your season to the real NBA season was what made this game cool. This was the bigger, better version of the NBA Live series.

10: Madden NFL 2008, Xbox 360, Aug. 14, 2007: One of the coolest things about this game was being able to play with Vince Young. I used to do a fantasy draft and put him on the New York Giants. This game still goes down as one of my favorites and it's deserving of a top 10 ranking.

9: Grand Slam Tennis 2, Xbox 360, Feb. 14, 2012: Absolutely this game deserves the nine spot. This is the most realistic tennis game I've ever played. In fact, I've been playing it off and on over the last few weeks. If you're looking for an awesome tennis game I recommend picking this on up.

8: Fight Night Round 2, Xbox, March 1, 2005:
I was all about the create a player and career mode. Once you figured out how to execute the haymaker punch this game was hard to put down. I can't tell you how many classic battles my friends and I had playing this game.

7: NCAA Football 2001,PS, July 26, 2000: This was the first of the NCAA series that I ever played and I have been a fan since. At the time it was the only game that allowed your team to vie for the National Championship in the Orange Bowl.

6: Madden NFL 2004, Xbox, Aug. 12, 2003: Michael Vick was a total video game stud in this version of Madden. That's partly why this game is in the top 10. In this version of Madden the Owner Mode was much deeper and you could control more aspects.

5: Fight Night Round 4, Xbox 360, June 23, 2009:
Cracking the top five is Fight Night Round 4. I still play this game. It's one of my all time favorites. Hence the high ranking. In fact, this is the best boxing game out there right now and is a must own for fans of the boxing game. Trust me, I'm a professional.

4: FIFA Soccer 12, Xbox 360, Sept. 27, 2011:
I'm not big on soccer games but this game is a blast. The graphics are stunning, there are over 500 officially licensed clubs, and the Pro Player Intelligence feature adds a whole new element to the game. This game is one of EA's best.

3: NCAA Football 12, Xbox 360, July 12, 2011:
The best college football game out there hands down. I've been a fan of this series for a while now and out of all the NCAA games this one is far better than the others.

2: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, Wii, June 8, 2009:
I play this one on the Wii and it's fabulous. If you are a golf fanatic then I highly suggest you play this thing on the Wii. It's the closest thing to playing real golf without having to leave your home.

1: NHL '94, SNES, Sept. 4, 1993: Are you surprised that this old-school game is in the number one spot? If you played this game back in the day you know what I'm talking about. There has never been another game like NHL '94. I get that it's old and the graphics are primitive but whatever. NHL '94 will remain as the best EA Sports game of all time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/best-ea...0981--spt.html
Old 08-22-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Best EA Sports Games of All Time.

They left off SSX!
Old 08-22-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos

9: Grand Slam Tennis 2, Xbox 360, Feb. 14, 2012: Absolutely this game deserves the nine spot. This is the most realistic tennis game I've ever played. In fact, I've been playing it off and on over the last few weeks. If you're looking for an awesome tennis game I recommend picking this on up.
This guy has never played or watched tennis before. Terrible game compared to other tennis sims like Top Spin. Hell Virtua Tennis is better than this game.
Old 08-22-12, 09:44 AM

and anything that says "play it on the wii for a great experience" has to be lying. #2 spot for a wii game? meh...
Old 08-22-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vballboy51
and anything that says "play it on the wii for a great experience" has to be lying. #2 spot for a wii game? meh...
So very true. really Tiger on the Wii? The list is pretty good, but....

I'll give him props on NHL 94 being number one.... but NCAA12 was a incomplete game and still has some issues. NCAA 11 was better. NCAA13 so far is really great. The real game changer for NCAA was 2005.

NBA Live 2005 was the last really good Live title until The NBA 2K series took over.

Also Madden 2006 trumps 04 in every way. I still have a copy of it.

And where is the love for NCAA Basketball 2010?
Old 08-22-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

PGA Tour II on Genesis should be on that list.
Old 08-22-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
PGA Tour II on Genesis should be on that list.
Good call

I would have included Lakers vs Celtics on PC.
Old 08-22-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's pathetic that some of his selling points are: I was able to play as Vince Young! Really? WHOOPEE! (This coming from a UT fan.)
Old 08-22-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, NHL '94 should have been the Genesis edition and not the SNES one.
Old 08-22-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shumway
True. The SNES version didn't play nearly as well. I had both systems but always got the EA sports games for Genesis.
Old 08-22-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I had both systems but always got the EA sports games for Genesis.
Same here. The versions on Genesis always played better for some reason.
Old 08-22-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
Same here. The versions on Genesis always played better for some reason.
Faster processor on Genesis allow for smoother gameplay.
Old 08-22-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

MVP '05 needs to be much higher, well the PC version at least. People still play that game today, as it was certainly the last good baseball game made for the PC.
Old 08-22-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
MVP '05 needs to be much higher, well the PC version at least. People still play that game today, as it was certainly the last good baseball game made for the PC.
Yeah, this list is shit if you know anything about sports games. MVP 2005 should be a lot higher and NHL94 should be the Genesis version.
Old 08-22-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Triple Play 99? No? That was one of the games that I got the most run out of.

I got way more mileage out of NBA Street 2, NFL Street 2, and MVP 05 than probably any other game this side of Tetris though.
Old 08-22-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

holy crap I didn't even catch that one. you are so right.
Old 08-22-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
Triple Play 99? No? That was one of the games that I got the most run out of.

I got way more mileage out of NBA Street 2, NFL Street 2, and MVP 05 than probably any other game this side of Tetris though.
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
No Bill Walsh College Football '95? I liked it much better than the Maddens of that year. How about Bulls vs Blazers and the NBA Playoffs? Didn't like when they switched the series to Live.
agree with both of you. Bulls vs Blazers was great.
Old 08-22-12, 07:11 PM

I remember playing the crap out of this one as a kid.

Old 08-22-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melvin
I remember playing the crap out of this one as a kid.
I totally forgot about that
Old 08-22-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should have been NHL '95, actually (for the Genesis, of course).
Old 08-22-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

No way, 94 is the best of those old games.. My friends and I still play it from time to time
Old 08-22-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed Team USA Basketball a lot.
Old 08-27-12, 08:11 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

NHL '91 Genesis is my favorite.
Old 08-27-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
NHL '91 Genesis is my favorite.
That was just called "NHL Hockey" wasn't it? It could have been called NHL 92 although it came out it 91. I played the crap out of that one and then I remember the following year they added the players actual names with NHLPA 93.
Old 08-27-12, 02:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
That was just called "NHL Hockey" wasn't it? It could have been called NHL 92 although it came out it 91. I played the crap out of that one and then I remember the following year they added the players actual names with NHLPA 93.
Yep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Hockey

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.