Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Suits -- "Asterisk" -- 8/16/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Harvey tries to sway an important figure whose vote will determine the firm's future.

Episode 9 of 16

Next week is the summer finale.
Old 08-17-12, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Suits -- "Asterisk" -- 8/16/12

Donna looked damn hot walking back into the office. And liked everything they've done with Louis in this one. You knew he wouldn't be able to keep the secret about him becoming sr. partner. Hardman is one slimey mofo. I would have thought that Harvey would have told Louis that Hardman wasn't just setting him up to be the fall guy for the embezzling, but that he was also fucking his office crush.
Old 08-17-12, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I crazy, or is this show trying to be a bit better than the typical rinse-wash-repeat USA show? Not saying this is Breaking Bad or anything, but this season the show definitely feels like it's stretching which I really dig. I didn't see Mike's grandma biting it, but I'm glad they did that. It allows them to add another layer to Mike's character, along with getting rid of a character that the show has outgrown.
Old 08-17-12, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who didn't know, the people playing Louis's parents were actually Rick Hoffman's real parents.
Old 08-17-12, 08:39 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to have Donna back. I know you have to ignore a lot of "nonsensical" things on this show and I usually do but having her come back this way just made it seem like what she did was no worse than spilling coffee on the counter. I mean she destroyed a critical document to cover things up. Still glad she is back though.

Is it just me or Rachel in white in front of the window was ridiculously hot.

And yes Louis was great in this episode.

Last comment is I know this is "cable" and its on late but do we need so many GDs and now they are saying sh*t left and right on the show.
Old 08-17-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Am I crazy, or is this show trying to be a bit better than the typical rinse-wash-repeat USA show? Not saying this is Breaking Bad or anything, but this season the show definitely feels like it's stretching which I really dig.
You are not crazy. Exactly because of shows like Breaking Bad, Longmire, Mad Men etc. I've been almost unable to watch shows I've watched for years like Burn Notice & White Collar--which end up seeming like total vapid fluff in comparison. Suits brings more layers and a bit more depth, while still keeping that overall USA tone.
Old 08-17-12, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
For those who didn't know, the people playing Louis's parents were actually Rick Hoffman's real parents.
That's just awesome. Louis has been absolutely great this season.
Old 08-17-12, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still believe it's going to come out that Hardman planted that document to get to Harvey. I don't believe Donna could've been so careless. I could be wrong, but I'll be surprised if that's not the case. And now I guess Mike got a new apartment for him and Rachel And Donna looked damn hot.
Old 08-17-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

By the way, I like Jessica less and less each week. There's just nothing decent or likeable about her character at all. That thing with her former law school classmate she humiliated, and now this is the way she deals with Louis? "I do NOT respond to threats!" Ugh. Just a very unlikeable character with nothing redeeming.
Old 08-17-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GCS
Last comment is I know this is "cable" and its on late but do we need so many GDs and now they are saying sh*t left and right on the show.
The weekly "shit" stands out to me every week, because I think they can only say it on the show once or twice. In season one it was definitely one "shit" per episode.

Originally Posted by uteotw
You are not crazy. Exactly because of shows like Breaking Bad, Longmire, Mad Men etc. I've been almost unable to watch shows I've watched for years like Burn Notice & White Collar--which end up seeming like total vapid fluff in comparison. Suits brings more layers and a bit more depth, while still keeping that overall USA tone.
I definitely don't mind the fluff of USA, but I do notice I'm quick to drop USA shows because I've had my fill. I loved Burn Notice, but somewhere around the season Jesse was introduced, I just haven't felt the need to watch that show. I get it. Same for Psych. A really fun show, but I've just had enough.
Old 08-17-12, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I'd really like to know is how Jessica and Hardman became partners and what happened to cause such hatred. I understand the embezzling, but when the associates make 6 digit bonus' somethings going right.
Old 08-17-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I get, Daniel was a taskmaster and nobody particularly liked him. He kind of mentored Jessica and went into business with her and she respected him professionally, but never particularly "liked" him. Still, he was her senior. When the whole embezzling thing happened, the tables were turned. He moved out and she became managing partner. So what we're seeing now is three things:

1) Residue over the embezzling
2) She doesn't want to give up what she's become accustomed to -- being managing partner
3) Nobody really wants Daniel The Unlikeable in charge again.

The only real thing he has in his favor is people do believe he can bring home the bacon, and there's always discontent (like with Louis) and he's tapping into what has built up while he's been gone.

Daniel has nothing to do with the bonuses. That's based on money the firm has made over the last year, most of which Daniel wasn't there for. So whatever is going right that resulted in those bonuses went right without Daniel's help (for the most part).

The cursing seems out of place to me, especially since the Closed Captions "censor" them. It doesn't add anything to the show for me.

I watch nothing on TV because of the pretty girls, but everytime I see a discussion here about who's hotter, Donna or Rachel, all I can think is thank goodness for TV so I don't have to choose. They're both hot in their own ways. Speaking of the window scene, I thought Mike did a good job of his "beautiful" delivery. It had a tone similar to Trinity when she sees the sky in "The Matrix: Revolutions" for the first time. I wasn't as trilled with Rachel's comeback that, "It's getting hot in here." It bordered on cliche and juvenile. I'd have preferred she smiled, said, "Thank you," kissed him on the cheek, and walked out. That would acknowledge that she has feeling for him too, but they've made choices, and nothing's changed (yet).
Old 08-17-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
I watch nothing on TV because of the pretty girls, but everytime I see a discussion here about who's hotter, Donna or Rachel, all I can think is thank goodness for TV so I don't have to choose. They're both hot in their own ways.
Yes they are, but don't forget Jessica. I've always found Gina Torres to be a handsome woman, but on this show she is drop dead gorgeous.

And I agree that Jessica can come off as a bit unlikeable, but I think the show is trying to establish how she's able to maintain the position she does. One which she rightly suggested earlier this season isn't one held by many women, let alone black women. The stuff with her classmate was cruel, yes, but the stuff in the office I view as her was of keeping the office in check. I don't think she was out of line with her "I do not respond to threats" line.