Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What was your favorite?
Super Nintendo
50.65%
Sega Genesis
36.36%
Both
12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

SNES VS Sega Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
SNES VS Sega Genesis

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fb73kHBAirU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think both systems had equal amount of great games. But in terms of 1st party titles Super Nintendo wins. Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Kirby, Mario Kart, Star Fox and so on.
Old 08-15-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: SNES VS Sega Genesis

I have to go both. While I think Sega Genesis had more good games, the SNES had more better quality games. I still have both, but honestly the Genesis does get a little more love.
Old 08-15-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Seeing as how I still use my Genesis I'll go with that one. Plus I always hated the SNES controllers.
Old 08-15-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I've got to go Genesis. SNES had better graphics, but Genesis didnt have any of the shitty censoring that some of the SNES games had.

I loved my Genesis, so much that at the end of its life it looked like this:
Old 08-15-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a sports game fiend, so the Genesis was the go to console while I was in college (although one of the SNES editions of Street Fighter still holds a small drunken place in my heart for the amount of late night time put into it).
Old 08-15-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Easily one of the best console wars ever as there were great games on both platforms.

When games were released on both platforms, the Genesis version usually tended to be superior. It also helped that I got to play a plethora of these games through the greatest video game invention known to man... the Sega Channel.

However, Super Nintendo wins for the better quality catalog. SNES had EarthBound, Genesis did not.
Old 08-15-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o_y3waeqxU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

SNES sucks!! Nintendo censors their games, it's for babies!

I grew up with a Genesis and loved it but always wanted an SNES, much better exclusives.
Old 08-15-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sega. The only SNES games I missed were Zelda & Mario Kart.
Old 08-15-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I would go with Genesis.

The first time I played Altered Beast I couldn't believe the game talked.

Then Ghouls n Ghosts brought a tear to my eye because I loved the arcade so much.

Phantasy Star II had me up so many nights.

Super Nintendo was awesome but to me it was more of flashy graphics. Super Mario World was fun...but it was a show off game.

Actrasier was another show off game with it's music.

Oh and Genesis has Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage II, Revenge of Shinobi, games that no other Super Nintendo game came close!
Old 08-15-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I seem to remember the opposite, that the SNES ports were a bit better than the Genesis ones, at least later on. For instance, I think the SNES version of Zombies ate my neighbors was much better. Even the censored version of Street Fighter II I remember being better on the SNES. But each had great libraries.

This may seem like blasphemy, but I thought Phantasy Star was every bit the equal of Final Fantasy. I thought Mario was better than Sonic. I thought that the Genesis had many, many gems like Warsong, Shining Force, Herzog Zwei, Castle of Illusion with Mickey Mouse etc. and some duds like Eternal Champions, Sega CD, etc. But the SNES, along with the brilliant 1st party games, always seemed to have more polished graphics than it's counterpart.

I think we can all agree that they both destroyed the Turbographx 16, though, right? Right? I mean, I loved Nectaris/Military Madness, and I always wanted those CD games like Lunar, etc., but c'mon now. You had to buy an accessory to even connect a second controller!
Old 08-15-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was there a game that definitely flipped the script on Genesis vs. SNES? I seem to remember that it was all Genesis early on (as I mentioned earlier, especially with respect to the sports games), then there was a game that was a disaster on the Sega system and from there they couldn't recover (I seem to remember whatever game it was being a big deal, but now for the life of me I can't remember what it could have been).
Old 08-15-12, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have my geniuses but I love me some Mario world
Old 08-15-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Both. I had a Genesis as a kid, but wished I had my friend's SNES. Well, now I do, it's been "on loan" to me since 2004, and I've been playing Earthbound this summer. But since I owned the Genesis I have a attachment to that as well.
Old 08-15-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sega Genesis - So many hours spent on the EA Sports games during college years.
Old 08-15-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I seem to remember the opposite, that the SNES ports were a bit better than the Genesis ones, at least later on. For instance, I think the SNES version of Zombies ate my neighbors was much better. Even the censored version of Street Fighter II I remember being better on the SNES. But each had great libraries.
I'll give you Zombies Ate My Neighbors, but I also remember all of the Disney games (like Aladdin and The Lion King) being better on Genesis.
Old 08-15-12, 10:55 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
I've got to go Genesis. SNES had better graphics, but Genesis didnt have any of the shitty censoring that some of the SNES games had.

I loved my Genesis, so much that at the end of its life it looked like this:
mine did as well...but as much as I loved my Genesis...the sns had Final Fantasy, Zelda and Chrono Trigger.
Old 08-15-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mario World
Zelda Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
Mario All Stars
Kirby
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy Series
Yoshi's Island
DKC

These games all hold up even today. Shining Force is the only Genesis exclusive that fits that mold for me. The Sonic games were impressive at the time but are rubbish now.

Last edited by chess; 08-16-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They were hard to compare for me. SNES was my go-to for continuation of franchises I loved on NES, whereas Genesis introduced a slightly more mature brand of gaming. I wouldn't part with either.

It's difficult to compare systems in the context of how well they hold up today because quite frankly most Playstation One games are a blocky jumbled mess to me now and I can't even play them without cringing, but at the time it was amazing.
Old 08-16-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably had 4 times as many games on the Genesis than the SNES.
Old 08-16-12, 01:42 AM
En vacance

Genesis ironically because i got into SNES during the 64 days. Sonic & Knuckles was AWESOME. The autumn forest level is still one of the most creative looking levels ever. Could never go past the Marble ruins level. Imagination was everywhere.

SNES obviously had the RPGs though.
Old 08-16-12, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I only ever owned a Genesis (with SegaCD and 32X). Even as a kid I acknowledged the SNES looked and sounded better, but to me it felt like the games were laggier. Especially favorites like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. Also, I was huge into the EA Sports games, which played better on the Genesis.

I rented an SNES for a weekend and beat Super Mario World, and ever since that never really felt the need to buy the system.
Old 08-16-12, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Genesis hands down for me; the Yamaha Sound Chip made so many game themes sound as good or better than their arcade versions, like Captain America and the Avengers:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jy0FNi4Ix-E?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jy0FNi4Ix-E?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

A big thing about Genesis for me was that it had arcade ports and Ecco The Dolphin.
Old 08-16-12, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I prefer my old Sega Genesis but the SNES is the better system with the better games. The system itself was superior, right down to the controller having 6 buttons. When Donkey Kong Country and Final Fantasy III came out, it made the Sega Genesis look really bad. DKC looked better than first wave 32-bit Sega Saturn games like Clockwork Knight. Vectorman just couldn't compete, atleast visually.

Sega's aggressive promotion got me to buy the Sega Genesis, and impressive games like Aladdin and later Sonic the Hedgehog 3 got me hooked. I was jealous of my friends SNES when it came to graphics, but the Sega Genesis atleast put up a good fight in that area with the previously mentioned games, and there was always quality games coming out for the system.
Old 08-16-12, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SNES for sure...better exclusives, better graphics, more buttons on the controller...which became very important once all the arcade fighting games started to get ported over (primal rage, killer instinct, mk2, etc.). fortunately i had both consoles though so i didn't miss out

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.