Grimm -- Season Premiere -- "Bad Teeth" -- 8/13/12

Old 08-13-12, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Grimm -- Season Premiere -- "Bad Teeth" -- 8/13/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
After their face-off with Kimura (guest star Brian Tee), Nick (David Giuntoli) finds himself trying to come to grips with the return of his mother, Kelly Burkhardt (guest star Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio). A trail of brutal murders unveils a foreign conspiracy to hunt down Nick, leading to several revelations about his past. Meanwhile, Juliette (Bitsie Tulloch) still lies in her mysteriously-induced coma as Rosalee (Bree Turner) and Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) work tirelessly to bring her out of it safely. Elsewhere, Hank (Russell Hornsby) struggles with the shocking truths he's recently seen and Captain Renard (Sasha Roiz) deals with unexpected family issues when his estranged brother (guest star James Frain) comes back into his life. Reggie Lee also stars.

Yes, this is the official season premiere. 3 Monday airings are scheduled.

Tonight, 8/20, 8/27

Then the show moves to it's regular time Fridays at 9pm on September 14th.

Season 2 Preview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1412166" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Recap of season 1:

<iframe id="nbc-video-widget" width="560" height="315" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1406725" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Raise your hand if you bought the BD last week or watched it on Hulu or in repeats and are all caught up and ready to go for tonight?
Old 08-13-12, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Grimm -- Season Premiere -- "Bad Teeth" -- 8/13/12

That was fast. Seems like the 1st season just ended.
Old 08-13-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Could somebody sy if the show is worth getting into without spoilers? I watched 3 or 4 from season 1 but wasn't hooked. I liked the concept and some components, yet something wasn't clicking.

Does the show get into more mythology and/or longer arcs? I know there were a few characters that seemed to be involved in something more.

The site review was in par with what I experienced. I do have a co-worker hat likes it a lot though.
Old 08-13-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Really excited for this. I didn't know this was premiering today until about two days ago (I always avoided the commercials during the Olympics because I don't like any type of spoilers - including promotional commercials)

One of the great surprises from last season.
Old 08-13-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

We watched the first 2 episodes of Season 1 on Hulu over the weekend. It was OK but I couldn't see myself sticking with it. I'm kind of with Superman07 on this. A decent show but a bit lacking somehow. Does it pick up?
Old 08-13-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

I haven't even been able to finish last season...still 3 more episodes to watch. I thought summer was supposed to let us catch up on all these shows.

So does the early season start mean there will be more repeats, a long mid-season break, or the season ending long before May?
Old 08-13-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have the last 15 episodes on my DVR. I had no idea this was back this soon. Would also like to know if this is worth trying to catch up on.
Old 08-13-12, 12:15 PM

Caught up with this over the summer and it's great to have the new season start so soon.

I thought the second half of the season was better than the first half. It dealt much more with the mythology while the first half was mostly procedural with mythology sprinkled in.
Old 08-13-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Could somebody sy if the show is worth getting into without spoilers? I watched 3 or 4 from season 1 but wasn't hooked. I liked the concept and some components, yet something wasn't clicking.

Does the show get into more mythology and/or longer arcs? I know there were a few characters that seemed to be involved in something more.
It takes a while but it does get into more serialized story telling. At around the mid point of last season they began to focus on the long form story arcs. The quality of the show also improves as a result.

If you flat out don't like what you've seen from the show I wouldn't advise you keep watching. But if you're on the fence I'd say its probably worth sticking with it.
Old 08-13-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It picks up as we get into the 2nd half of the season, get back into it!

Originally Posted by Superman07

The site review was in par with what I experienced. I do have a co-worker hat likes it a lot though.
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
We watched the first 2 episodes of Season 1 on Hulu over the weekend. It was OK but I couldn't see myself sticking with it. I'm kind of with Superman07 on this. A decent show but a bit lacking somehow. Does it pick up?
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I still have the last 15 episodes on my DVR. I had no idea this was back this soon. Would also like to know if this is worth trying to catch up on.
Old 08-13-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait for this tonight, so many loose ends!
Old 08-13-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I went into this summer 7 episodes behind. I deleted my NBC recordings thinking I would catch them on Hulu this summer.

Then I bought the Blu-Ray for season 1 last week (since it was only $30) and plowed through the last 7 episodes over the last 2 days (Watched 4 today since I was off from work)

Really solid 1st season overall. It definitely went more mythology/serialized in the 2nd half of the season. The 1st half of the season was alot more Police procedural, so I can understand why the stories didn't grab alot of you right away.

I had to laugh in the finale though that Nick revealing to Juliet that he was a Grimm was almost pointless, especially after she got poisoned by the scratches from Adalind's cat.

Interesting introduction to Nick's mother in the finale. So many loose ends, especially with the Captain still being the main baddie without Hank and Nick knowing.
Old 08-13-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I say it's worth catching up, but considering your 15 going on 16 weeks behind, your going to have a hard time catching up.

If your backlog is manageable, I say do a Friday and Saturday marathon session and you might get caught up by episode 2, depending on how motivated you are.
Old 08-13-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
It picks up as we get into the 2nd half of the season, get back into it!
Originally Posted by DJariya
I say it's worth catching up, but considering your 15 going on 16 weeks behind, your going to have a hard time catching up.

If your backlog is manageable, I say do a Friday and Saturday marathon session and you might get caught up by episode 2, depending on how motivated you are.
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to get caught up with most of it by the end of the month when some of the other shows ended for the summer. I was thinking this wouldn't be back until around mid September and when I saw it was back a month earlier than I planned my first thought was "ditch it" but if it's good I'll stick it out. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-12, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope that is not a new intro.
Old 08-14-12, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not know this was even on until I saw my DVR recording something. Hopefully I'll get to watching it tonight.
Old 08-14-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Great episode. Looks like this is a serial drama now. Awesome.
Old 08-14-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

That was an awesome season premiere.

Nice job picking up where the finale left off with Nick's Mom being introduced.

As I said earlier, guess it was indeed pointless for Nick to reveal he was a Grimm to Juliet now that her memory is being wiped by the spell.

The French Tiger creature was crazy. Those scenes in the cargo container and the aftermath were pretty damn violet for network TV. Not surprised the FBI agents got taken out either.

I'm guessing Renard had something to do with poisoning the Japanese guy with that sandwich.

The show has definitely become more serialized. The cliffhanger ending was cool.
Old 08-14-12, 09:19 PM

Great episode - I love all the backstory that Nick's Mom provided.
Old 08-14-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by birdseye
Great episode - I love all the backstory that Nick's Mom provided.
The backstory about some of Nick's family being Grimms was great.

It's pretty obvious when Juliet comes out of the spell/coma, she probably won't remember a certain period of time, including when Nick revealed he was a Grimm.

Very curious to see how they cover Bree Turner's pregnancy in future weeks. It wasn't noticeable this week.
Old 08-15-12, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
The backstory about some of Nick's family being Grimms was great.

It's pretty obvious when Juliet comes out of the spell/coma, she probably won't remember a certain period of time, including when Nick revealed he was a Grimm.

Very curious to see how they cover Bree Turner's pregnancy in future weeks. It wasn't noticeable this week.
Spoiler:
I'm expecting her not to remember Nick at all. They're playing off Snow White/Sleeping Beauty by really saying without really saying the medicine needs to be put on the lips and she's going to need to be kissed to wake up.

Odds are whoever does it will then have her fall in love with them.
Old 08-15-12, 08:21 AM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Now that the show has survived its uneven first season they must have decided to up the effects budget. The transitions from human to 'Wesen' seemed much less video-gamish

I like the gore factor going up and more 'epic' tone to the storyline they are taking. Good job writers! Too bad they still haven't explained how scrawny Nick suddenly goes MMA when needed and overcome all of his opponents.

I don't like what they are doing with David Giuntoli's hair either, why is it all poufed up on top hiding his forehead?

Showrunners, please make him bulk up a bit and get his clothes ripped off during fights more too.
Old 08-15-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved it. Loved the back story (Knights Templars are Grimms?) Glad to see Rosalee back, it was obvious that they are going to try their hardest to hide the pregnancy (Sweaters, different angles, head shots etc).

Juliet is losing her memory, Hank is messed up out of his mind.