Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do stores have placeholder prices on TV shows?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ask because I noticed that the new season of Fringe on Bestbuy.ca is $56.99.

I have trouble believing that a new season of a broadcast show, on DVD is more than a HBO show on DVD. I mean even the new season of Dexter is cheaper then that.

Could this be a placeholder price or am I indeed gonna have to pay that much money to buy it?

Edit: keep in mind I live in Canada so please don't say "buy from Amazon". Amazon.ca is as bad as stores here

Last edited by bristow84; 08-09-12 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-10-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do stores have placeholder prices on TV shows?

If you mean placeholder pricing as in MSRP pricing for cars (MSRP means Maufacturers Suggested Retail Price), then yes. In other words, it's how much the company that made it, thinks it should sell for.

The actual sale price very often changes changes by the date or period the item first goes on sale. For example, Amazon had the Hatfield & McCoys series with a pre-order price of $29.99. By sale date on 7/31/2012 , retailers like Best Buy had put the item "on sale" for $19.99 and Amazon matched that price and then beat it by pricing the item at $19.96 which is what I got it for.

Anyone will tell you to wait as very few will ever pay full MSRP on any item (unless they want to).

Fringe will probably be on the higher end of pricing; most likely at $22.99 - $24.99 the first week. With DVD pricing in swift decline it's possible someone may have on sale for $19.99 the first week but as we've been seeing the price will fall within the first couple of months.
Old 08-10-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Wasn't the original MSRP on alot of the HBO season sets about $100?
Old 08-10-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Original MSRP on Star Trek: Next Generation was something like $125-140 per season.
Old 08-10-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjcool
Wasn't the original MSRP on alot of the HBO season sets about $100?

Yes.... way back in the day.
Old 08-10-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Original MSRP on Star Trek: Next Generation was something like $125-140 per season.
The X-Files was the first TV show to be done in season sets and was at $150 per season. When TNG was released, Paramount didn't actually set an MSRP, they just had stores setting what they wanted, and many retailers used the X-files as an example and so the TNG sets were super expensive.
Old 08-10-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember paying over 100$ for each of those xfiles sets. Makes me cringe that I spent probably close to 700$ for the entire series.. But I still have them and the packaging is still top notch.
Old 08-10-12, 07:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I remember paying over 100$ for each of those xfiles sets. Makes me cringe that I spent probably close to 700$ for the entire series.. But I still have them and the packaging is still top notch.
I remember when season 1 went on sale for $70 and thought it was a great deal. $10 for each disc. But weren't the future later season releases priced much lower?
Old 08-10-12, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch. I can't imagine spending $100 on a single season of a show, unless it's a limited edition.
Old 08-11-12, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember buying the first couple seasons of Sopranos and (maybe) Six Feet Under for $100 a pop, but I didn't care because the quality was so great.

I mean, back then, if you paid MSRP you paid an average of $20-$30 for a 2 hour movie. What's $100 for 12+ hours of top notch entertainment?
Old 08-11-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bristow84
Ouch. I can't imagine spending $100 on a single season of a show, unless it's a limited edition.
You have to remember, this was the first time a show had been released in this manner. Before X-Files, you had the original release of Star Trek. For the original release, 2 episodes were released per disc, and each disc cost $15. That was $600 for all 40 discs.