Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

For those interested in Norse mythology.

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon has a bunch of free books available for Kindle.

Myths of the Norsemen.

The Younger Edda Also called Snorre's Edda, or The Prose Edda

The Edda, Volume 1 The Divine Mythology of the North, Popular Studies in Mythology,Romance, and Folklore

And several others. Didn't see this mentioned anywhere so sorry if duplicate.
Old 08-19-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: For those interested in Norse mythology.

This probably could have gone in one of the kindle threads, but I do like the Norse myths so thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-14, 02:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Gospel of Loki

"Chocolat" author Joanne M Harris has very recently brought out an ambitious tome "The Gospel of Loki" which is described thus:
"[...]first-person narrative of the rise and fall of the Norse gods - retold from the point of view of the world's ultimate trickster, Loki. It tells the story of Loki's recruitment from the underworld of Chaos, his many exploits on behalf of his one-eyed master, Odin, through to his eventual betrayal of the gods and the fall of Asgard itself."
Skimming through the reviews, this may be one of young adults and older adults who enjoy young adult books. So I would imagine that this rules in quite a few of us!

When I was told today about The Gospel of Loki I recognised the author's name through having read her first novel ("The Evil Seed") many moons ago. However, I was entirely unaware that she was the same person who'd later hit the biig time with "Chocolat" and its couple of sequels.

Looking through her bibliography, I note that this current interest in Norse gods is nothing new: she already has a couple of other novels under her belt in which the Norse gods exist, albeit diminished, in the modern day; "Runemarks" and "Runlelight". Again, these seemed to be pitched at the younger reader...