Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you buy your music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How do you buy your music
Physical CD
44.44%
Digital MP3
7.41%
Combination of CDs and MP3s
30.86%
Vinly
19.75%
I prefer to listen on Pandora and Spotify
4.94%
What does buy mean?
12.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently gave up on free consumption of music and decided to start buying music. a lot of times i've enjoyed going to the local used cd shop and browsing for stuff while i have also enjoyed picking up stuff from the best buy bargin bin, though lately i'm noticing myself spending more and more on digital music, which leads me to wonder how do you buy your music?
Old 08-01-12, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: How do you buy your music?

Once I joined Spotify, I largely stopped buying CDs or MP3s, unless it's from an artist not on Spotify (example: a local band I see at a show).

At $10/m, it's also significantly cheaper.
Old 08-01-12, 06:02 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still an old school CD collector. Generally better audio quality, artwork, etc.
Old 08-01-12, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I still purchase cds. Not to the extent that I have in the past, but I still buy from time to time.
Old 08-01-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JAA
I'm still an old school CD collector. Generally better audio quality, artwork, etc.
Same here. Can purchase most of what I want for less than ten dollars per album, which I find reasonable. I probably buy around 40 CDs per year.
Old 08-01-12, 08:41 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

"Vinly."

Old 08-01-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CDs primarily, mp3 when the price is under $5 for an album, and vinyl as an indulgence.
Old 08-01-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Pretty much exclusively from Amazon when a record is $5 or less. I have so much music as it is that I don't buy a ton of new stuff. I did buy a physical copy (deluxe edition of Ten Stories by mewithoutYou), but that is the only physical piece of music I have bought in years.
Old 08-01-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I ("illegally") download, but after a quick listen, I immediately delete it and end up buying on CD what I like, and pass on what I don't. I'm a little bit of a sound snob, so the compressed MP3s really chap my hide.
Old 08-01-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by HollywoodLights
I recently gave up on free consumption of music and decided to start buying music.
Good on you!

Here's the best argument against pirating I've come across:

http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/...gs-considered/
Old 08-01-12, 10:31 AM

CD unless it is something only out on MP3.
Old 08-01-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Mostly from Amazon, and mostly CDs until recently. Due to space constraints, getting tired of having to keep adding more storage, and the fact that I play the actual CD about once, I've just started buying MP3s. There are a few things I'll buy the CD for, but not that many.
Old 08-01-12, 11:23 AM

I pay to see artists perform live, that's how they make the most money.
Old 08-01-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I always buy the CD for the music I want, assuming I can find a copy.
Old 08-01-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still buy CDs and Vinyl, both new and used. Very occasionally, I will purchase a random song here or there via digital download - but even then, if it's the only way I can find a song, or don't want the whole album. Otherwise, I still very much like physical media, and generally want to have the artwork, better sound, etc.
Old 08-01-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

New releases that I'm pretty interested in, I pick up the cd new. Anything that I'm just mildly curious about, I keep a list and watch for either a used copy or a cheap download on Amazon or Google Music.
Old 08-01-12, 01:09 PM

I'm actually surprised at how many people but CDs still but that just shows that the format isn't going anywhere just yet.

And slop101 that's a good argument but it isn't quite the one that one me over.
Old 08-01-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Prefere to buy the cd. Will buy the cd from itunes if it is OOP. I then burn it to cd, download hi-rez image of cover to print and cut out. Any music I download is for the purpose of burning to a cd. Could care less about the music files on my computer.
Old 08-01-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

CD, but not because I care much about a physical format and artwork. I just want lossless audio, and major sellers don't offer that (yet, if ever).
Old 08-01-12, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Prefere to buy the cd. Will buy the cd from itunes if it is OOP. I then burn it to cd, download hi-rez image of cover to print and cut out. Any music I download is for the purpose of burning to a cd. Could care less about the music files on my computer.
Do you just do the front cover for the slim jewel cases or do you get full sized cases and do front/ back cover
Old 08-01-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

CD. Occasionally a record.

I really hate the idea of buying mp3 files. If I'm laying out cash, I want something I can hold in my hand.
Old 08-01-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I really hate the idea of buying mp3 files. If I'm laying out cash, I want something I can hold in my hand.
This is my problem as well...I like the tangible. Also, even though CD's do scratch...those tracks are still sitting on that disc at 320 kbps no matter what.

But with that said....I have been buying a lot of MP3's as of late mainly because there are no new bands at all that I have liked in the past...well, probably 8 to 10 years (damn time flies as you get a little older).

I don't know...while I'm buying more and more MP3's....they're mainly from older bands...Jack White's Blunderbuss was the last CD I bought and I think it's excellent...I like every track on the disc and I can honestly say that I haven't liked an album in full like that in many years.

I don't know how it is in anybody's area but where I live...Best Buy, Walmart, Target....they barely even stock new release CD's now. Also, In April of 2011 when I bought my new vechicle I asked "Where's the CD player" to which they replied "No need, the Aux jack is right there" I laughed and said nice try...put a CD player in this damn thing or I'm not buying it (I really would have though).
Old 08-01-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I voted CD and vinlys. I work at a record store so it makes it cheaper but I'm constantly surrounded by music so that can get expensive.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

This. I'm not paying for a file on a computer.

Originally Posted by Rival11
This is my problem as well...I like the tangible. Also, even though CD's do scratch...those tracks are still sitting on that disc at 320 kbps no matter what.

But with that said....I have been buying a lot of MP3's as of late mainly because there are no new bands at all that I have liked in the past...well, probably 8 to 10 years (damn time flies as you get a little older).
I used to be the same way. I've found that there are a lot of good bands but unless you go out of your way, you're not going to find them.

I don't know...while I'm buying more and more MP3's....they're mainly from older bands...Jack White's Blunderbuss was the last CD I bought and I think it's excellent...I like every track on the disc and I can honestly say that I haven't liked an album in full like that in many years.

I don't know how it is in anybody's area but where I live...Best Buy, Walmart, Target....they barely even stock new release CD's now. Also, In April of 2011 when I bought my new vechicle I asked "Where's the CD player" to which they replied "No need, the Aux jack is right there" I laughed and said nice try...put a CD player in this damn thing or I'm not buying it (I really would have though).
I'm lucky that where I live there are a few good record stores to get music. I don't know what people do who only have Best Buys and Wal-Marts to go to for their music needs.
Old 08-01-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

CD.

When I'm buying music, I want the physical product in my hand - otherwise my money stays in my wallet.
Old 08-01-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I honestly don't want to get off topic but I have to ask....are there any legit talks out there of a new format? I remember somebody posting something about 2012 being the last year for the CD which turned out to be complete B.S. but searches I do for a possible next format always just come back with assumptions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.