Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Covert Affairs -- "Speed of Life" -- 7/31/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Annie investigates a break-in at a high-tech company and reaches out to the FBI for help. But her plan is complicated by Simon's unexpected arrival in town.

Episode 4 of 16
Old 08-01-12, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Covert Affairs -- "Speed of Life" -- 7/31/12

Maybe its me but so far this season feels "off". I mean I love Jeff from Coupling guest starring, but I can't take him seriously as a bad a**. I keep thinking *breasts* and the evil vibe dissipates. Also not sure if there's a significant diff this season from past, but Annie's clothing and lipstick are just driving me bananas. Its hard to concentrate on dialogue when all I can think is "who painted the clown lipstick on her". And I truly hated that orange shirt-dress thing.

They seem to be going much darker, more adult (aka skin) this season. Maybe USA told 'em they had to up the ante and bring in better demographics but its definitely a different vibe show IMHO.

Specifically about last night's episode, was ok. The new boss kinda dumped her pretty fast and I was surprised that with all the talk of her being outed she wasn't put in a safe house or something for a couple days 'til they could see if there was chatter about her? I mean *Jeff* was riding in her real-life car so had plates, address and all that info presumably.
Old 08-01-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably has more to do with real life outed spy Valerie Plame being able to have a life and the world is aware of what she used to do with no repercussions to her physically.
Old 08-01-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's funny that a cable show can afford to send them to film in Paris, but a network show like Alias always tried to make LA look like all these exotic locales.
Old 08-06-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm a little late to commenting, but I just saw this last night.

As Jadzia said, it's really interesting how USA spends money on location shoots throughout Europe on this show. But major network shows that have higher budgets instead fake everything in LA. I know the shooting schedules for cable and network shows work differently, but it really puts network shows to shame alot of times.

Season 3 feels like a really different show. It feels alot darker. The color scheme is different and I think the tone is alot darker (some coarser language too). Annie has become alot more sexual as a character and is putting herself in more dangerous situations, whereas the 1st 2 seasons felt more fluffy. It really seems like USA told the Producers to make the show edgier since it's a 10pm cable show.

The episode was alright. I agree with Post 2, that it felt a little rushed that Lena just dumped Annie back to Joan's department.

BTW, it did not surprise me at all that Parker broke up with Auggie. That was a no-brainer.