Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best way to get rid of DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Best way to get rid of DVDs?

Could go in the Store Forum too, but it's not about a store, it's about DVDs.

I have a bunch of BR, HDDVD, and SDDVD to get rid of, hundreds. Who gives the best rates in cash? (Amazon out of the question). Tons of them still wrapped.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-12, 02:05 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Best way to get rid of DVDs?

Why against amazon? Check in the trade in value at amazon. You can get amazon credit for trades and they pay shipping. Bestbuy.com has a trade in center too. Online you get store credit for DVD or instore you can trade this week 5 dollars towards a blu ray. There are sites online where you can sell best buy gift cards for cash like plasticjungle.com. You'd probably do better selling yourself on ebay or half.com or amazon. Half.com now has a system to sell instantly which may yield more than amazon trade in. Some independent stores may give an ok deal. FYE often has promotions to get extra but it is better in store credit.
Stay away from Half price books, if you have one. They are great for buying from but are terrible when you sell.

Last edited by g; 07-31-12 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Be prepared for whomever you do sell to not to buy them all.

If you start a thread here, maybe some members could take some off your hands.
Old 07-31-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

You're going to have to do something like Amazon to get any decent amount of cash back, but even then don't expect more than a few dollars each, if that.

Start a thread here, there's always somebody looking for something.
Old 07-31-12, 09:47 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to http://sitcomsonline.com and post a Message on their "Trading Post" that's in their Message Board.
Old 07-31-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by g
Why against amazon? Check in the trade in value at amazon. You can get amazon credit for trades and they pay shipping. Bestbuy.com has a trade in center too. Online you get store credit for DVD or instore you can trade this week 5 dollars towards a blu ray. There are sites online where you can sell best buy gift cards for cash like plasticjungle.com. You'd probably do better selling yourself on ebay or half.com or amazon. Half.com now has a system to sell instantly which may yield more than amazon trade in. Some independent stores may give an ok deal. FYE often has promotions to get extra but it is better in store credit.
Stay away from Half price books, if you have one. They are great for buying from but are terrible when you sell.
The trade-in values on Amazon have bottomed out. I've seen them now offer only .10 cents for recent tv seasons. Ex. Falling Skies Season 1 Blu-ray - .10 cents used. It's nuts.

At that rate, the mailer for shipping would cost more so you'll better off doing old fashion garage sale, Goodwill or throw them in the trash.
Old 07-31-12, 01:43 PM

you could also put them on your local Craigslist, iOffer, eBay, etc. or maybe there's a local flea market in your area where you could set up a table outdoors on a nice weekend. Usually, outside booths are inexpensive and if you have a lot to sell, you could do well, as long as you don't price them too high (don't expect to get more than a couple bucks for the average DVD of a movie, for instance).

Except for OOP titles, not only has buy-back pricing bottomed-out, but for sale pricing has, too. It's not unusual to see your average single-disc title for a buck (two at most) at your local pawn shop or flea market. Blu-rays hold a little more value, but it's not uncommon to see them going for $5-7 each around here.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-12, 03:30 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! ioffer!
Old 07-31-12, 04:53 PM

Ditto on Half Price. Good place to find bargains, but they ream you out royally when they buy. I haven't sold to them in years. I'd rather give the stuff away.

If I had hundreds of titles, I'd set up a Fri-Sat sale, post it on Craigslist and charge $2 per single DVD & 6 for $10, or something like that; after 2 on Sat., $1 per. All you need is a yard or a garage, some card tables, boxes, and signs posted around the hood. It's fun, too, visiting with people.
Old 07-31-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you live in a high traffic area? Yard or garage sale?
Old 08-01-12, 07:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'll admit that when we go to flea markets or garage sales, I'll be more likely to buy DVDs if they're priced at $2 than I would if they were priced at $3, although if it's something I've been looking for and it's in good enough condition, I won't balk at paying $3 for it. Used DVDs priced at $4 or more I'll usually just walk away from without even looking (unless they're seasons of TV shows I'm interested in). DVDs priced at $1 I'll practically drool over hoping to find something...

If I were on the other end trying to sell mine, in as good a condition as I keep them, I'd probably want to get at least $3 for them, but if I was at a flea market or garage sale, I definitely wouldn't leave them laying out in the sun like alot of people do. I hate seeing DVDs laying flat on a table, baking in the sun. -kd5-
Old 08-01-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I'm leaning towards garage sale type thing, esp. since you have "hundreds". You can even list the event on craigslist and you'll really pull in the buyers.