Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Wes Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ronan

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Wes Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ronan

Old 07-17-12, 12:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well, Johnny Depp doing a Wes Anderson character. Hopefully it'll be as fun as him doing Hunter Thompson.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/john...udapest-hotel/

Johnny Depp To Star In Wes Anderson’s Next Film ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’

By MIKE FLEMING | Monday July 16, 2012 @ 8:51pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: Johnny Depp will star in The Grand Budapest Hotel, the next film that Wes Anderson wrote and will direct.

Anderson is going right back into business with his collaborators on Moonrise Kingdom, which is heading toward a $40 million gross to be among this summer’s art house hits.

The Grand Budapest Hotel will be produced by Anderson along with Scott Rudin and Indian Paintbrush’s Steven Rales. UTA reps Depp and Anderson.

This comes as Depp continues to work on The Lone Ranger for Disney. He stars in that Gore Verbinski-directed film with Armie Hammer, and response was strong to scenes unveiled during Disney’s panel at Comic-Con over the weekend. Depp will likely make this next; plans for him to star in The Thin Man for Rob Marshall have been pushed for the time being.
Old 07-17-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
re: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Wes Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ronan

I thought Depp's next film was going to be a gothic version of The 3 Little Pigs with Helena Bonham Carter & directed by Tim Burton.
Old 07-17-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
re: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Wes Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ronan

What's Wes Anderson going to do with Johnny Depp? Have him look glum and act somber for 2 hours like he's done with Bill Murray for the last 14 years?

Jesus, the characters in The Matrix Trilogy have livelier affects than the characters in Anderson's movies (with the exception of maybe Rushmore).

Last edited by PatD; 07-17-12 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

No problem with that!
Old 07-17-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I like Wes Anderson but am not a big fan of Depp. I'll wait for more information and see how trailers look before making a determination on this though.
Old 07-17-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ask me, Johnny Depp & Wes Anderson are made for each other. They both strike me as very socially awkward people. Oh and... they both live in Paris!

Glad to see he's not going to be taking 5 years between live-action projects this time around!
Old 07-17-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
If you ask me, Johnny Depp & Wes Anderson are made for each other. They both strike me as very socially awkward people. Oh and... they both live in Paris!

Glad to see he's not going to be taking 5 years between live-action projects this time around!
Yup this seems perfect.

I've never thought of Wes Anderson's characters as gloomy. A lot of them seem like they're exceptionally happy they just don't act all goofy about it.
Old 07-17-12, 11:28 PM
Banned

Love Wes Anderson, but fuck Depp.

Doubt I'll bother seeing this now.
Old 07-17-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

They're a good fit for each other.
Old 07-17-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Depp is fundamentally superb. He stuck with Burton too long...their last truly good film together was Ed Wood. And the Jack Sparrow shite got old long ago. But his body of work is top flight overall. He needs to move into new areas and I think this move is a recognition of this. The Wes Anderson stable of actors is one of the best in current cinema. Depp only adds to it, greatly.
Old 07-18-12, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't excite me. Depp just doesn't get my attention...I blame Burton and the PoTC films for making him too cliche for me. He is a solid actor though. He just needs to branch out more.

Regardless of what I feel about Depp...I am excited for a new Wes Anderson film. Always a fucking pleasure.
Old 10-01-12, 06:10 PM
Banned

Anderson confirmed that Depp won't be in the film while talking to the

Huffington Post:

Not much is known about Wes Anderson's next film, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" -- Anderson has been coy about plot details, simply referring to is as "Euro" -- but one thing that seemed to be known was the lead, Johnny Depp. We spoke to Anderson on Saturday (who is currently in Italy working on a project) to discuss the Blu-ray release of "Moonrise Kingdom." During our conversation (the full interview will publish next week), "The Grand Budapest Hotel" was discussed and Anderson is still being coy about the details. Except one: It won't be starring Johnny Depp. (Though, rest assured, it will star Bill Murray.)

The rumor appears to have stemmed from a Deadline.com report in July, and was widely carried on a number of entertainment news sites, including HuffPost Entertainment. But Anderson says the story was without merit.

Your next movie is The Grand Budapest Hotel," which is reported to star Johnny Depp?
It's not Johnny Depp.

Oh, it's not?
No. There's a lot of... You know, the Internet has a way of announcing things on its own [laughs]. You will find that even though I'm very aware of the cast that has been announced on its own devices, you'll never find me saying who's in the movie. Or, as far as I know, anybody else. I really don't know where it all comes from. In fact, Johnny is somebody who I would love to work with at some point, but he's not going to be in this movie. But I actually have not put the cast out -- I have not announced the cast. We have quite a great cast.

Well, Bill Murray is in it. He's been telling people during his "Hyde Park on Hudson" press tour that he's in it. Unless he's lying?
[Laughs] That's true. That's true. Bill is in it. Bill is in it.

You've labeled it a European story.
Yeah, it's "Euro." That's about all I've been saying.
Old 10-01-12, 06:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a moot point now, but I wouldn't be opposed to Depp being in a Wes Anderson film. I think Anderson would give him something I don't think he's had a in a long time: Actual direction.
Old 10-01-12, 06:21 PM
Banned

Yeah. I mean...I've nothing against the man himself or his talent. I just hate how cliche he's been lately. Like what? 5 years? 7?

I honestly don't know under who's direction he would excite me under. I'd be fine w/ him in an Anderson film if it was true. He's just boring now.
Old 10-01-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Jude Law, Owen Wilson, Angela Lansbury are cast in this along with Bill Murray.
Old 10-01-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I honestly don't know under who's direction he would excite me under.
How about someone that might take him out of his element like maybe Lars von Trier, David Cronenberg or Pedro Almodovar.
Old 10-01-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
How about someone that might take him out of his element like maybe Lars von Trier, David Cronenberg or Pedro Almodovar.
I could see him fitting with all three, but I bet a Cronenberg film with him in it would be interesting.
Old 10-01-12, 07:23 PM
Banned

yeah...Cronenberg would probably make something more out of him.
Old 10-01-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Jude Law, Owen Wilson, Angela Lansbury are cast in this along with Bill Murray.
lansbury in a wes anderson film is just too perfect!
Old 10-03-12, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My question is when will a Wes Anderson movie open wide?
Old 10-03-12, 12:45 PM
Banned

didn't Fantastic Mr. Fox do that?
Old 10-10-12, 02:01 PM
Banned

Ooooooooh.

After several serious turns in "Coriolanus," "Great Expectations" and Sam Mendes' upcoming James Bond pic "Skyfall," two-time Oscar nominee Ralph Fiennes is in talks to star in writer-director Wes Anderson's next film "The Grand Budapest Hotel."

Anderson is producing the Euro-set pic with his "Moonrise Kingdom" collaborators Scott Rudin and Steven Rales of Indian Paintbrush.

Fiennes is making a deal to play a character named M. Gustave, who serves as the hotel's perfectly composed concierge.

While Anderson is fond of working with the same troupe of actors including Bill Murray, who is expected to appear in "Hotel," he has actively recruited actors he's never worked with before, including Jude Law.

Fiennes will soon be seen alongside Daniel Craig in "Skyfall," which Sony opens Nov. 9. He also plays Magwitch in Mike Newell's adaptation of Charles Dickens' novel "Great Expectations," which premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. Additionally, Fiennes plays Dickens opposite Felicity Jones in "The Invisible Woman," which he also directed.

Released by Focus Features back in May, "Moonrise Kingdom" has grossed $63 million worldwide.

Fiennes is repped by CAA and Dalzell and Beresford.
Old 11-04-12, 08:48 PM
Banned

Saoirse Ronan to star in 'Budapest Hotel'
Thesp joins Fiennes, Law, Murray, Schwartzman in Anderson pic
By JEFF SNEIDER

Having established herself as one of the leading dramatic actresses of her generation with turns in "Atonement" and "The Lovely Bones," Saoirse Ronan is looking to try her hand at lighter fare, as she's set to play the female lead in Wes Anderson's next movie "The Grand Budapest Hotel."
As Variety first reported, Ralph Fiennes will star in the period pic alongside Jude Law and Anderson regulars Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman, among others. While Anderson is fond of working with the same troupe of actors, he has actively recruited international thesps he's never worked with before such as Fiennes, Law and now Irish thesp Ronan.

The director has said that the story, set 85 years ago in a Hungarian hotel, is partly inspired by the witty films of Billy Wilder and Ernst Lubitsch ("The Shop Around the Corner").

Anderson is producing the Euro-set pic with his "Moonrise Kingdom" collaborators Scott Rudin and Steven Rales of Indian Paintbrush. Production is skedded to start early next year in Germany.

Ronan, who was nominated for an Oscar at the age of 13 for her supporting perf in "Atonement," will next be seen in Andrew Niccol's adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's bestselling novel "The Host," which Open Road Films will release March 29. Thesp is attached to star in Working Title's drama "Mary Queen of Scots" and most recently wrapped Kevin Macdonald's "How I Live Now," while Neil Jordan's "Byzantium" and Geoffrey Fletcher's "Violet & Daisy" are awaiting release.
Old 11-04-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

partly inspired by the witty films of Billy Wilder and Ernst Lubitsch ("The Shop Around the Corner").
Couldn't ask for better "inspiration" than those two. Wilder is great, and Lubitsch's comedies and musicals from the 30s and 40s are amazing.

On the other hand, I've heard that Lansbury is no longer going to be part of the film - which makes me incredibly sad if true.
Old 03-04-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Hell of a cast he's assembled.

Ralph Fiennes
Jude Law
Saoirse Ronan
Edward Norton
Tilda Swinton
Bill Murray
Adrien Brody
Owen Wilson
Willem Dafoe
Harvey Keitel
Jeff Goldblum
Jason Schwartzman
F. Murray Abraham

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.