Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sub keeps cutting out...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sub keeps cutting out...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Sub keeps cutting out...

Using a Pioneer 1019 receiver and Sony SAWM40 Sub (which is about 8 yrs old). The sub is set to 'auto' , but this makes no difference. It is receiving the signal from the receiver because it is kicking on, but there is no sound. This has been an ongoing problem for a couple of months now. Maybe the subs amp is going? Any help appreciated.
Old 07-15-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sub keeps cutting out...

Could be the sub or receiver. You can try troubleshooting the driver by wiring it with speaker wire instead of the RCA wire. If that works, it isn't the driver. You could troubleshoot the amp by connecting a CD player or something direct to it. If that works, it isn't the amp. That would leave the receiver.
Old 07-15-12, 03:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

could also be the sub cable. those things can be finicky.
Old 07-15-12, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
could also be the sub cable. those things can be finicky.
Def not the cable, it was the first thing I checked.
Old 07-15-12, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Could be the sub or receiver. You can try troubleshooting the driver by wiring it with speaker wire instead of the RCA wire. If that works, it isn't the driver. You could troubleshoot the amp by connecting a CD player or something direct to it. If that works, it isn't the amp. That would leave the receiver.
As far as it being the receiver, I doubt it. Like I said, the sub is receving the signal from the receiver bc it is powering on, just no sound.. i will try what u suggested.
Old 07-15-12, 08:25 PM

OK I just connected an MP3 player to the sub and still got nothing. Normally, the subs power light will be red until it receives a signal, then goes green. The light stays green and there is no sound whatsoever. I'm really not looking forward to taking it apart.
Old 07-15-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does sound like the sub. Honestly, unless you happen to have the right parts laying around, it's probably more cost effective to move on.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-629
Old 07-15-12, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
It does sound like the sub. Honestly, unless you happen to have the right parts laying around, it's probably more cost effective to move on.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-629
You're probably right. However, after doing a polyfill mod I read about awhile ago, it sounds excellent. I always said when this one went I would upgrade to SVS or HSU. SVS is way over my budget. I found this HSU. Opnions?
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
Old 07-16-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, definitely those would be better subs if you have the money. Love my SVS, which I got used to save about $400. It keeps up with anything, at any volume my body cares to hear/feel. And that was before I got upgraded drivers that raised the volume 6db without changing other characteristics. (which was just ridiculous, seems to defy physics)

SVS seems to have dropped the idea of maintaining a sub-$500 model. Not sure why, I thought the $425 model was one of their best sellers, and was really the driving force behind a slowly changing sub market. (many traditional speaker mfgrs put a lot more effort into their recent models, and dropped prices...I think they had to compete) Actually, they hardly seem to be selling anything right now. It's weird. Their high-end speakers, which were architectural, were only available for a few months, then vanished along with most of their lineup.

I've not listened to Hsu myself, but they have near-unanimous praise for the best bang for the sub-$500 price range. Every now and then you get some genious that scoffs at SVS or Hsu and says their $4000 sub can beat a $500 model. Really!? That's almost the best praise you can get.
Old 07-17-12, 01:06 AM

I'll probably order the Dayton sub you posted the link to after reading all the good reviews on it. My Sony sub is still barely working. If I leave it off for a few hours and then turn it on, it'll work for about 5 minutes but then cut out. Maybe the fan crapped out for the amp (if there is one). Gonna open it up.