Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rank the Batman films thus far

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Hey guys, with the upcoming release of The Dark Knight Rises just thought a thread would be interesting to see how people feel the other Batman films rank. I'm doing two lists personally, one for the live action features and one for the animated features.

My live action listing would be:
1. Batman Begins- I loved The Dark Knight and feel like it's a great movie however I've always been kind of partial to this one. I really liked Nolan's take on the origin and the fact that he took a chance by using relatively unknown (to the mainstream audience) villains in it.

2. The Dark Knight- I don't think there's a lot more that can be said about it that hasn't been said a bunch of times over. The movie just captured lightning in a bottle and while I think it is a tad overrated it's still really well done and an enjoyable film.

3. Batman: The Movie- Sure the Adam West/Burt Ward series and this movie seem really cheesy now however it's still really enjoyable and a lot of fun to watch. I loved all the classic villains and the actors who portrayed them. Just a damn fun movie. Plus really as goofy as the series/movie seems now if you look at the comics from the era they were pretty accurate portrayals for the time they were done.

4. Batman (1989)- Aside from the Adam West/Burt Ward series this is the first exposure I had to Batman and one of the first films I remember seeing theatrically. For that it'll always hold a close spot for me, however looking back on it now I really don't feel that it holds up the best. Nicholson is great as The Joker and Keaton actually is decent as Batman. I don't care all that much for his Bruce though. Also Batman kills too many damn people in this film (and Returns) intentionally which has always bothered me.

5. Batman Returns- I watched this again and I don't feel like it holds up well at all to be honest. Way too cartoony and over the top for my liking and yet at the same time it's dark and weird too. I really hated DeVito's Penguin and the whole plot about him running for mayor is ridiculous (even for a comic based movie). I used to think this was one of the better entries to the series but I could barely make it all the way through.

6. Batman Forever- I have mixed feelings on this particular film I guess. It isn't terrible but there are a lot of things with it I don't care for. I really didn't like Kilmer as Bruce or Batman that much. I also didn't really care much for Tommy Lee Jones' portrayal of Two-Face and hated that it basically seemed like he was just The Riddler's bitch. I will say that even though it wasn't perfect I didn't actually mind Chris O'Donnell in the role of Dick/Robin.

7. Batman & Robin- If The Dark Knight can't have enough good comments this one can't have enough bad. Just not a good film in so many ways. Every villain was completely wrong and Clooney who I actually think could have been a decent Bruce/Batman with a better script just seemed like he was half assing it the entire time.

The animated list I'm not going to go into too much yet but my listings would be:
1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm- The Animated Series was such a great portrayal of Batman. Kevin Conroy is forever solidified in my mind as the voice of Batman. The movie had a good story and is an entertaining watch.

2. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker- Pretty damn good if you ask me. Batman: The Animated Series is more memorable to me and what I grew up with so I wasn't as big on Batman Beyond then however watching it now it's not that bad. This movie was a pretty good outing for it too if you ask me.

3. Batman: Under the Red Hood- My favorite of the Warner Premiere line for Batman features thus far. I liked the opening and how we got brief glimpses from the A Death in the Family story line and the story for bringing Jason back was actually fairly decent if you ask me.

4. Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero- It isn't as good as Mask of the Phantasm but anything done by Bruce Timm and company is worth a watch in my book.

5. Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman- Again not as great as Mask of the Phantasm but still worth a watch.

6. Batman: Year One- I was pretty excited about this one but it was a bit of a let down if you ask me. I didn't really care much for the voice actor doing Bruce/Batman. Bryan Cranston however was really good as Commissioner Gordon.

7. Batman: Gotham Knight- Meh..I wasn't very big on this one really. I didn't care much for the anime style and it just wasn't a very memorable collection of stories. I haven't watched it for a long time so I might need to revisit it.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-07-22)
Old 07-12-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Rank the Batman films thus far

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman
4. Batman Mask of the Phantasm
5. Return of the Joker
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman Returns
8. Under the Red Hood
9. OG Batman
839th. Batman and Robin
Old 07-12-12, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Batman ('89)

Everything else has been pretty wretched in my opinion, not including any of the animated stuff.
Old 07-12-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this thread would've been a better idea in a week.
Old 07-12-12, 04:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Old 07-12-12, 04:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Batman Returns - I like this best of all. Great sets, great design, and I actually really don't like Michele Pfiefer as an actress but her Catwoman is the best villian in any Batman film I've seen. She really nails it.
The Dark Knight
Batman: The Movie
Batman '89
Batman Begins

all the others I don't like so rate them whatever.
Old 07-12-12, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Batman 1989
Batman Returns
Batman 1966 movie

All the rest are just action movies that bear only very faint resemblance to what fans would call Batman.
Old 07-12-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Meh there's already the main thread and I'm sure there will be a reviews thread too. I figured this would have been a better option to discuss the character on film as a whole. People can always amend their lists for the ranking of The Dark Knight Rises later.
Old 07-12-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured one of these would be coming up soon.

(1) The Dark Knight - one of my favorite movies of all time. I've rewatched this countless times and it still continues to amaze me. Heath Ledger is flawless and outshines another fantastic performances from Aaron Eckhart.

(2) Batman Begins - I love how you can watch the beginning of this film and have no idea it's a superhero film. A great way to set up the second installment with excellent character development / backstory and some nice twists and turns.

(3) Batman Returns - Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman allowed me to amazingly hit puberty at the age of six. DeVito was perfect for the Penguin role and I always enjoyed the Gotham city created by Tim Burton. Keaton does a nice job as Batman (my favorite from the 90s) and Danny Elfman's score is great.

(4) Batman - Although overshadowed by Heath Ledger's portrayal, Nicholson's Joker is spot on for the tone of the movie. Even though I'm ranking this fourth, I recently rewatched and still liked it quite a bit.

(5) Batman Forever - Meh - I found enjoyment in this one as a kid and watched it countless times, but looking back at it now, Batman Forever was really nothing special.

(6) Batman & Robin - I love George Clooney, but not as Batman. "Hi Freeze - I'm Batman" was just not intimidating enough for me.
Old 07-12-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Meh there's already the main thread and I'm sure there will be a reviews thread too. I figured this would have been a better option to discuss the character on film as a whole. People can always amend their lists for the ranking of The Dark Knight Rises later.
Agreed. More time to discuss & debate while we wait. Thanks for creating!
Old 07-12-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

So how mnay Batman threads will we see here by the end of the summer?
Old 07-12-12, 05:40 PM
Banned

1. Batman begins
2. The dark knight
3. Batman (1989)
4. Batman returns (1992)

Last edited by WeylandYutani; 07-13-12 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-12-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I haven't seen the direct-to-video animated films. Of the theatrical films (and Mask of the Phantasm *was* in theaters briefly--so it counts):

1) tie: Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/(and probably) The Dark Knight Rises
What I call, the "Batman: Perfected Trilogy". Christopher Nolan should be made consultant (at the very least) to all DC Comics-to-Film endeavors--especially if they want to go up against Marvel.

2) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
This was the first theatrical Batman movie that took the mythos seriously. Weird that it had to be a cartoon that could shame Burton and Schumacher.

5) Batman '89
This is a decent popcorn film, and it was an understandable 80s pop culture phenomenon for a reason! "They stole my balloons!"

6) Batman '66
Campy, self-aware fun. It's true to Batman (at the time) and the casting of the villains is top notch.

1000) 3-way tie: Batman Returns/Batman Forever/Batman and Robin
Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher should be ashamed of themselves for releasing these 3 cynical, dumb-as-bag-of-hammers, gaudy, summertime mall products.

Last edited by PatD; 07-12-12 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-12-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Batman: The Movie is my favorite out of all the Batman movies. The modern Batman movies are really good, very entertaining, but they just have too many stupid moments that ruin the movies for me. When I rewatch them I have to skip entire scenes. This movie is the only - and I mean, the ONLY - Batman movie made where the parameters of the characters and story are clearly defined and respected throughout the movie. It's not the campy tone of the movie that makes it more forgiving - it's because it's just written better.
Old 07-12-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Batman 89 - It holds a special place in my heart. It's the first movie I ever owned on VHS and I watched it so many times that to this day, I can still recite the entire movie with sound effects and music cues.

The Dark Knight
Batman The movie
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
Batman and Robin - Only ranked above Forever because it's so horrible and fucked up it's almost fun to watch.
Batman Forever - Boring as fuck. The Jim Carrey overacting is in full display here. I cringe everytime he's on the screen. Robin is like 30. It's confusing that this even made money.
Old 07-12-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to see some love for Batman: The Movie
Old 07-12-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

1.) Batman Begins
2.) The Dark Knight
3.) Mask of the Phantasm
4.) Batman 89
5.) Batman Returns
6.) Batman (1966)
7). Batman Forever
8.) Batman and Robin

4&5 could be switched either way depending on my mood. Same for 7&8.
Old 07-13-12, 08:00 AM
Suspended

Batman 89
Batman Returns
Old 07-13-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dark Knight - Superb action, and a terrific performance by Ledger. One of my favorite movies.

Batman Begins - Great origin, although I think the casting of Liam Neeson as the real Ra's al Ghul was terrible.

Batman 89 - Waited for years for this to come out. Doesn't hold up as much as I would like, but was pleasantly surprised by Michael Keaton as Batman.

Batman 66 - ADORED this movie when I was a kid, but it's almost unwatchable now, even for nostalgia.

Batman Forever - Jim Carrey as the Riddler didn't work for me, and Tommy Lee Jones was wretched.

Batman & Robin - Mr. Freeze could've been an awesome villain too, instead of just spouting bad ice/snow puns.

Batman Returns - Hated every minute of it.

Never saw any of the animated movies.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 07-13-12 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-13-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Figured one of these would be coming up soon.

(1) The Dark Knight - one of my favorite movies of all time. I've rewatched this countless times and it still continues to amaze me. Heath Ledger is flawless and outshines another fantastic performances from Aaron Eckhart.

(2) Batman Begins - I love how you can watch the beginning of this film and have no idea it's a superhero film. A great way to set up the second installment with excellent character development / backstory and some nice twists and turns.

(3) Batman Returns - Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman allowed me to amazingly hit puberty at the age of six. DeVito was perfect for the Penguin role and I always enjoyed the Gotham city created by Tim Burton. Keaton does a nice job as Batman (my favorite from the 90s) and Danny Elfman's score is great.

(4) Batman - Although overshadowed by Heath Ledger's portrayal, Nicholson's Joker is spot on for the tone of the movie. Even though I'm ranking this fourth, I recently rewatched and still liked it quite a bit.

I'll go along with those in that order.
Old 07-13-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

BATMAN (1989)
BATMAN BEGINS (2005)
BATMAN THE MOVIE (1966)
BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM (1993)
BATMAN FOREVER (1995)

Those are the only ones I deem worthy of ranking.
Old 07-13-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

1. Batman and Robin - Totally underrated movie. It does not deserve the hate it gets. Arnold Schwarzenegger gave what may be the best performance of his career in this one. George Clooney was perfectly cast as Bruce/Batman, and the whole Poison Ivy thing was great, too. Arguably one of the best comic book superhero movies ever.

2. Batman Returns - How clever was it to have the Penguin run for Mayor? Stroke of absolute genius. And the fact that DeVito's performance is so different from what is expected from the Penguin just shows the courage of a talented actor and a director willing to take risks. The only downside to the movie was Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman. She isn't quite good looking enough to adeqately fill Julie Newmar's boots.

3. Batman Forever - Jim Carrey as the Riddler! Freaking BRILLIANT!! The tough but loopy gangster Riddler that Frank Gorshin played was too dangerous at heart to allow for truly comic moments like Jim Carrey punching someone and hurting his hand. HILARIOUS!!! And the whole color scheme was fantastic, too - a comic book come to life!

4. Batman - This one set it all in motion. The warped take on Gotham really gave Batman a new, surrealistic look and feel. Tim Burton really made all the changes for the better.

5. The Dark Knight - Damn, but this one could have been great. The Joker is a little too dark, and seems superhuman in the way he convinces everyone that he should be feared and respected despite being just as mortal as everyone else. Well, maybe he's not mortal since he was able to plant dozens of high explosives in that hospital despite beefed up security looking for him. Maybe he had hidden, unexplained magic powers that he used to plant those bombs. Too long and boring, overall.

6. Batman Begins - Pure crap. Yet another origin story, this one being long winded and unentertaining. Too realistic, really, to work as a comic book superhero movie. I can't think of anything redeeming about this one.
Old 07-13-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
1.) Batman Begins
2.) The Dark Knight
3.) Mask of the Phantasm
4.) Batman 89
5.) Batman Returns
6.) Batman (1966)
7). Batman Forever
8.) Batman and Robin
Pretty much, this.

I was rewatching Nolan's first 2 Batman films last week in Preparation for The Dark Knight Rises and I was surprised at how much more I liked Batman Begins over The Dark knight.
Old 07-13-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen all of them, but here's my list:

1. Batman Forever - The perfect mix of zaniness and seriousness, which is what Batman is and always has been about. The colors are vibrant and exhilarating, the casting is spot on, the plot is incredibly entertaining, and Two Face is by far the most interesting and complex batman character ever shown on screen. The duality of man has never been better illustrated in a movie character. Tommy Lee Jones' enthusiasm is contagious. Great movie.

2. Batman Returns - As a sequel to Batman Begins, I actually found this one better than its predecessor. While Begins was a good origin story, this one had a key that was ingredient missing from the earlier movie: Danny Devito. He's just absolutely marvelously chilling as Penguin. I also enjoyed Catwoman.

2. Batman Begins - As I said about its sequel, this is a good origin story but doesn't come close to the magic of Returns. And while Kilmer will always be the better batman to me, Bale comes pretty close.

3. Batman and Robin - Not as goofy and interesting as Forever, but still goofy enough to be entertaining. Clooney is one of the better batmans.

Like I said, I haven't seen them all, so my opinion might change when the new one comes out.
Old 11-19-21, 06:59 AM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

1. Zack Snyder’s Justice League
2. The LEGO Batman Movie

3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman
6. Batman Returns

7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Batman Forever
9. Batman (1966)
10. Batman v Superman (extended)

11. Batman v Superman (theatrical)
12. Justice League

13. Batman and Robin

Last edited by Rodney2187; 03-19-22 at 08:27 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.