Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Damages -- Season Premiere -- "You Want to End This Once and for All?" -- 7/11/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Damages -- Season Premiere -- "You Want to End This Once and for All?" -- 7/11/12

Old 07-11-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-07-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The founder of a controversial website devoted to government and corporate transparency gets sued after his most recent information leak does not go as planned. It's the perfect stage for the ultimate showdown between the mentor and her former protégée.

10 episode final season.

Airs tonight at 9pm on the Audience Network

Ryan Phillippe
John Hannah
Jenna Elfman
Janet McTeer

all join the cast this season

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mgy6S7DY4g0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-11-12, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Damages -- Season Premiere -- "You Want to End This Once and for All?" -- 7/11/12

Been looking forward to it. Can't wait for Patty to get hers.
Old 07-11-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Damages -- Season Premiere -- "You Want to End This Once and for All?" -- 7/11/12

GREAT to have this back (& props to DTV), though I'm really not liking the flash-forward reveal @ the end re Ellen.
Old 07-11-12, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by uteotw
GREAT to have this back (& props to DTV), though I'm really not liking the flash-forward reveal @ the end re Ellen.
No shit. Although I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, this show always did have balls, plus it being the final season...
Old 07-12-12, 02:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ellen looks thinner every season.
Old 07-12-12, 08:04 AM

I guess what I also missed was the cool intro they used to have, some scene that started each episode and slowly came into focus as the season went on. I like the premise and there are some great cast additions, but it just seems weird knowing that, in this final season, a main character is, apparently (barring some weird trick) going to
Spoiler:
go off a roof onto the pavement beneath. Will it really just end with Ellen dying and Patty winning? Hope not.
(Spoilered just in case, even though it was in the episode.)
Old 07-12-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Great to see the awesomeness of Patty again. And I'm not believing that Ellen is dead on the concrete.

I had no idea that Rose Byrne was English (when she was being interviewed in the red carpet premiere preview). She's a lot sexier with that accent.
Old 07-12-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Just because it's so much like her character on the show:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o70r3j34n18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-12-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I had no idea that Rose Byrne was English
Australian, actually. I love the show, but thought that it had gotten a bit stale, yet over the top. In a way, I think the show is a lot like 24 in that it has a gimmick (the flash-forwards and flash-backwards vs. 24's "real time" conceit), and both shows had ever more over-the-top plots. However, I CAN'T WAIT for the final showdown between Ellen and Patty. That's gonna be epic, in the true sense of the word!
Old 07-12-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Good to have the show back. There were a couple of things I didn't expect in this episode. I wasn't expecting Jenna Elfman's character to get killed off already, although I'm sure she will be appearing in flashbacks. I must admit that her death really made me squirm. Also surprised about the Ellen reveal. I don't know what to make of it. My first instinct was that it must be a fake out and that she's really alive. But then I remembered it was the final season ...

I loved how Patti manipulated things so that Ellen wouldn't testify against her and then challenged her to a legal showdown. My guess is that Ellen really is dead but that she already had put in motion something that will rock everyone's world from beyond the grave. I think that's the only way she will be able to beat Patti.

But the great thing about this show is that anything can happen. The show does have a history of putting Patti and Ellen on opposite sides only to eventually have them team up for the greater good. Hmm ... maybe it's Ryan Phillippe's character who kills Ellen.
Old 07-12-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Hmm ... maybe it's Ryan Phillippe's character who kills Ellen.
I don't think they would go that route so soon after (movie title, but similar idea)
Spoiler:
The Lincoln Lawyer
Old 07-13-12, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Good 1st episode. I like the arc that they have set up with Phillippe's character. Considering this show was going to get canned after season 3, I'm very happy that Directv gave us two more seasons to really flesh out the end.

at how Patty is such a master manipulator. I loved how she totally set that scenario up for Ellen to choose one case or the other.

And I agree, the murder scene with Jenna Elfman's character was creepy as hell. I have to wonder who sent those goons to kill her. I think it would be really interesting if Patty had some involvement with it.

I was a little confused on how Elfman's character being a whistleblower blew up in her face. So she sent the encrypted files to McCLaren, but it also uploaded all her slutty activities/photos from her PC as well? Who the hell keeps detailed activities of all their sexual flings on their computer?

As for Ellen, she looked pretty dead to me. But, I guess we won't know for sure until 9 weeks from now. I guess in the end, she had to pay with her life to finally beat Patty.
Old 07-13-12, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I was a little confused on how Elfman's character being a whistleblower blew up in her face. So she sent the encrypted files to McCLaren, but it also uploaded all her slutty activities/photos from her PC as well? Who the hell keeps detailed activities of all their sexual flings on their computer?
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think she actually (intentionally) sent the files. It looked like she changed her mind, I thought, since she shut her computer right after her daughter mentioned "college." Maybe there was some program on the flash drive she inserted that took the files anyway & gave access to the rest of her computer where she happened to have saved a few photos, not exactly sure...
Old 07-13-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched this show (and liked it a lot) the first 3 seasons.. I started season 4 but could never get into it so quit after a few eps..

Should I watch the rest of S4 so I can pick up S5?
Old 07-13-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I watched this show (and liked it a lot) the first 3 seasons.. I started season 4 but could never get into it so quit after a few eps..

Should I watch the rest of S4 so I can pick up S5?
The arc from season 4 about the military contractor was self contained and wrapped in that year. However, some of the storylines and a few characters from that season carried over.

I assume since it's the final season, you want to see how the show ends. I say finish season 4 first, it's only 10 episodes just like this season.
Old 07-13-12, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Yeah I figured after Patty's meeting with McClaren, she somehow set the wheels in motion to release all that other info to make Elfman look bad and become suicidal, and then had her "kill herself". A bit contrived, but as mentioned previously, this show's storylines have gotten more unbelievable with each passing season, like 24.
Old 07-13-12, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by aktick
Yeah I figured after Patty's meeting with McClaren, she somehow set the wheels in motion to release all that other info to make Elfman look bad and become suicidal, and then had her "kill herself". A bit contrived, but as mentioned previously, this show's storylines have gotten more unbelievable with each passing season, like 24.
If that turns out to be true, that is definitely contrived, rather predictable, and very unbelievable. This show is usually smarter than that.
Old 07-15-12, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw
If that turns out to be true, that is definitely contrived, rather predictable, and very unbelievable. This show is usually smarter than that.
I doubt it's true. Patty didn't know who the leak was until Elfman's identity was actually leaked (how would she know when McLaren wouldn't even divulge the name of the investment firm aside from dropping a couple of hints?); that's when she pounced on her in an effort to get the upper hand with Ellen. She may be a shark, but she's not a soothsayer.