Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Hero 6 (Disney's animated Marvel film)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-30-12, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ComingSoon.net reports (via Blue Sky Disney and It's On the Grid) that the surprise property is currently being tossed around as an animated feature film, with Winnie the Pooh's Don Hall set to direct. Rumors suggest the film could be hitting theaters as early as 2014. While no other details have been revealed, we do know that the comic superhero team is a Japan-based group developed in 1998 that originally included Silver Samurai, Sunfire, GoGo Tomago, Honey Lemon, Hiro Takachiho and Baymax.

It's unclear which of the group's team members would make the cut for a movie, especially Silver Samurai and Sunfire as they both originated in the X-Men comics (a 20th Century Fox property). Silver Samurai in particular is already rumored to be a featured character in 2013's The Wolverine.

Update: EW is now confirming that the film is in the "early stages of development," though Disney reps are not confirming which filmmakers are involved. Stay tuned for more details -- hopefully from Comic-Con in a couple of weeks!
Odd. Uhm...how does this work animated rights wise? You buy the film rights...you buy any and all film possibilities in format, no?
Old 06-30-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: Big Hero 6 (Disney's animated Marvel film)

Disney isn't fucking around with the Marvel licenses. Me likey.
Old 07-01-12, 08:24 AM
Banned

Yeah. They're taking this MCU seriously. I mean...I'd never expect Guardians of the Galaxy. Of coursen I'd also never expect...the Human Fly either. I honestly wonder wtf the pitch was for that one.
Old 07-01-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I don't know. Personally I see Disney buying Marvel as good and bad. On the one hand yes we're going to see some awesome movies being made. On the other you have to think eventually if they keep churning out every random character into movies that the interest is going to fade, the movies will start being less of moneymakers, and comic movies will crash. The fact that they're taking more obscure characters and doing movies of them is kind of starting to solidify this line of thought for me as it seems like Disney is hoping people will see the Marvel brand name and they'll do big business everytime.
Old 07-01-12, 11:33 AM
Banned

Possibly. Guardians of the Galaxy has potential. human fly and BH6 are odd ones.
Old 07-01-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't know. Personally I see Disney buying Marvel as good and bad. On the one hand yes we're going to see some awesome movies being made. On the other you have to think eventually if they keep churning out every random character into movies that the interest is going to fade, the movies will start being less of moneymakers, and comic movies will crash. The fact that they're taking more obscure characters and doing movies of them is kind of starting to solidify this line of thought for me as it seems like Disney is hoping people will see the Marvel brand name and they'll do big business everytime.
but if they are making it an animated film, as speculated, it's not going to take anything away from the live action movies.
Old 07-01-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Right but it's still comic book related. Once people start getting sick of them I just worry that we'll stop seeing comic movies made for a period of time. Plus let's be honest they've already got three iffy (to the general public) movies in the works that are supposed to be live action (Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Human Fly). I guess I feel like the more marketable characters have been made into movies. A lot of the ones left are sort of cheesy (with exceptions of course).

Also Marvel doesn't exactly have the best record for animated features recently. Granted they've been direct to DVD/Blu-ray and I'm sure something like this will be bigger budget and they'll have Disney's animation team but still.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-01-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-01-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Disney is being smart. They are digging deep seeing potential $$$$$ in everything Marvel has to offer.
Old 07-01-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Disney/Marvel isn't making the Human Fly. It was a licensed property that Marvel doesn't own anymore.
Old 07-02-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The success of The Avengers means that every Marvel team is gonna be examined for potential. X-Men and the Fantastic Four are tied up with other studios. The Defenders are Avengers-lite with weirder characters; there's no real hook to differentiate them from the A-team, their biggest name is already tied to the Avengers, and it would take far too long to set-up the rest of the kooks in one film. So yeah, third-string teams with high concepts like GotG (Space Avengers!) and BH6 (Japanese Avengers!*) are getting a shot.

Of course, my dream project would be a Heroes For Hire film set in the 70's (Exploitation Avengers!). Power Man, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Shang-Chi, see if we can't steal Dazzler out from under Fox. Have a framing device where Nick Fury recounts his first mission, the one that led him to believe that a team like the Avengers could work. Solid!

*"Kids are all still into that mangame stuff, right?"
Old 05-09-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GSV3laJplpU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-09-13, 11:19 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Well count me in! Geez... what am I looking at? San Francisco? Why even release something like that?
Old 05-09-13, 11:25 AM
Banned

Well that is really pretty for however long it is.
Old 05-09-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I sort of agree. It'll be interesting to see how long Disney stays aggressive with both Marvel and Star Wars. I guess it will go on as long as box-office expectations are met.
Old 12-31-13, 04:19 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Chris Williams has joined Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Big Hero 6 as director, alongside helmer Don Hall. Additionally, Roy Conli has boarded the project as producer.

Williams co-directed and co-wrote the screenplay for Disney Animation’s 2008 release Bolt, for which he received an Oscar nomination for best animated feature. His writing credits (story) include Mulan, The Emperor’s New Groove, and Brother Bear for Disney. He also lent his voice to the character Oaken in Disney's current hit Frozen.

Conli previously produced the studio’s Tangled, which was released in 2010 and made $588.8 worldwide, and 2002’s Treasure Planet.

Hall previewed Big Hero 6, which is scheduled for release on Nov. 7, 2014, last summer at Disney's D23 Expo. At that time, Kristina Reed was attached to produce.

The stereoscopic 3D CG feature is inspired by the Marvel comic of the same name (and marks the first project of its kind since Disney acquired Marvel). The action comedy adventure follows robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, who must save the city of San Francisco from a criminal plot with the help of a robot, Baymax; and Gogo, Honey Lemon, sushi chef Wasabi and fanboy Fred.

Disney Animation vet Hall directed 2011’s Winnie the Pooh and wrote the screenplay for Meet the Robinsons.
Old 01-01-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the postcard that I picked up at D23. Definitely not San Francisco. It's:

Old 05-20-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-20-14, 05:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I look forward to the awkwardly shoehorned-in, ill-fitting melodramatic tug at your heartstrings song sung by the latest Disney TV starlet in the middle of the film.
Old 05-20-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I look forward to the awkwardly shoehorned-in, ill-fitting melodramatic tug at your heartstrings song sung by the latest Disney TV starlet in the middle of the film.
You mean Idina Menzel?
Old 05-20-14, 07:07 PM
Banned by request

Ha, no. I mean those Disney animated films that aren't musicals but have a sappy song thrown in the middle because it was effective in Toy Story 2.
Old 05-20-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Ha, no. I mean those Disney animated films that aren't musicals but have a sappy song thrown in the middle because it was effective in Toy Story 2.
Oh, I know what you mean. I was just teasing. She's a good singer (even if I didn't like her song from Frozen and thought her song from Beowulf, though nice, was a waste of her talent).
Old 05-20-14, 09:35 PM
Banned by request

Frozen was a disappointing movie with poor songs, but I don't blame her for that.
Old 05-20-14, 11:13 PM
Banned

I never saw frozen. Don't really know wtf that was about.
Old 05-21-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I never saw frozen. Don't really know wtf that was about.
If you don't have kids, I think its okay to skip it.
Old 05-21-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
If you don't have kids, I think its okay to skip it.
And even if you loved Tangled, you're better off just re-watching Tangled.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.