Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TomKat = Splitsville

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TomKat = Splitsville

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
TomKat = Splitsville

Source:

Friday June 29, 2012 01:00 PM EDT

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Are Divorcing

After five years of marriage, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting a divorce, PEOPLE has learned exclusively.

"This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family," says Holmes's attorney Jonathan Wolfe. "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter's best interest."

The Rock of Ages star, 49, wed actress Holmes, 33, in an Italian castle in November 2006. They have daughter Suri, 6.

This was Holmes's first marriage and the third for Cruise, who previously was married to the actresses Nicole Kidman, with whom he has two children, and Mimi Rogers.
For as much grief as he gets, I've never heard Cruise is anything but a decent guy. I don't think most Hollywood marriages are going to last but never had a problem with this one.
Old 06-29-12, 12:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: TomKat = Splitsville

But I'm confused...I thought Holmes was brainwashed and being held prisoner by Cruise?
Old 06-29-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

For as much grief as he gets, I've never heard Cruise is anything but a decent guy.

You obviously haven't been in the Rock of Ages thread and read the story about him and Steven Spielberg. The guy might be a decent actor and make good movies, but rest assured he is quite the nutjob.
Old 06-29-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
But I'm confused...I thought Holmes was brainwashed and being held prisoner by Cruise?
Maybe she finally got tired of him assaulting the Masseurs? Or wait was that the other Scientologist?
Old 06-29-12, 12:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

finally she can get together with Dawson!
Old 06-29-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You obviously haven't been in the Rock of Ages thread and read the story about him and Steven Spielberg. The guy might be a decent actor and make good movies, but rest assured he is quite the nutjob.
Oh, I read it. Doesn't mean I believe it, especially since it's written like there was a third person standing next to everyone for every conversation.

Bottom line is I don't actually care, as I don't expect actors to do anything but act. I couldn't give a shit about their personal lives. That said, whenever I hear another actor talk about Tom Cruise, even if it's just meeting him once (so not on the same level = no reason to lie) they say he is nothing but kind and gracious. That rings more genuine to me than all the "Katie is just a beard!" stuff that gets thrown around by people who absolutely do not the truth one way or the other.
Old 06-29-12, 01:06 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Oh, I read it. Doesn't mean I believe it, especially since it's written like there was a third person standing next to everyone for every conversation.

Bottom line is I don't actually care, as I don't expect actors to do anything but act. I couldn't give a shit about their personal lives. That said, whenever I hear another actor talk about Tom Cruise, even if it's just meeting him once (so not on the same level = no reason to lie) they say he is nothing but kind and gracious. That rings more genuine to me than all the "Katie is just a beard!" stuff that gets thrown around by people who absolutely do not the truth one way or the other.
Usually people describe encounters with him as more like "so gracious and kind that it seems phoney or rehearsed". I think he's a guy who spent so much time focused on his career and perfecting his persona that he missed a lot of opportunities to be properly socialized and stopped being a real person. Have you ever heard Jimmy Kimmel and/or Adam Carolla tell the story about the time he came to Jimmy's house? He's a weird guy.
Old 06-29-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

She's free!

I mean her contract came to an end.
Old 06-29-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bottom line for me is that I think people are far less complicated than we'd like to imagine. There may be some sort of subconscious desire to "cast" actors into situations as intricate as a movie plot.

Where some may see some vast Hollywood conspiracy, back room Scientology dealings and millions in hush money, I see two people who are getting a divorce because their marriage didn't work out. That might seem mundane, but it's the more logical of the possible situations.

People just like to gossip.

Last edited by Draven; 06-29-12 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-29-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
She's free!

I mean her contract came to an end.
Yeah a 5-year deal was enough for her. I heard Cruise has a pre-nup and she doesn't get a dime if the marriage lasted 5-years.

ET, Access Hollywood and Extra are going to be all over this tonight.
Old 06-29-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Old 06-29-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Have you ever heard Jimmy Kimmel and/or Adam Carolla tell the story about the time he came to Jimmy's house? He's a weird guy.
You mean the time Carolla pretended to "crap out the basketball" and Cruise decided that was the time to leave? What a weirdo.
Old 06-29-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't know the real story about the marriage or about Cruise. I do know that Scientology is a cult of whackos, so the more distance Katie puts between it and her, the better.
Old 06-29-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only aspect of this I might remotely give a shit about is if Katie gives a tell-all interview about how wacko Cruise is in real life. But, then again, I only care about his acting, and that's fine by me, so... whatever.
Old 06-29-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Bottom line for me is that I think people are far less complicated than we'd like to imagine. There may be some sort of subconscious desire to "cast" actors into situations as intricate as a movie plot.

Where some may see some vast Hollywood conspiracy, back room Scientology dealings and millions in hush money, I see two people who are getting a divorce because their marriage didn't work out. That might seem mundane, but it's the more logical of the possible situations.

People just like to gossip.
I agree with this 100%. Of course if everyone agreed with us, there would be no reason for TMZ to exist.
Old 06-29-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I thought most people believed the marriage was a sham set up by the Church of Scientology to further both their careers? That always seemed the likeliest story.
Old 06-29-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I thought most people believed the marriage was a sham set up by the Church of Scientology to further both their careers? That always seemed the likeliest story.
Again, it's not the "most likely." It's maybe a more interesting story, but considering how many millions of people marry (and divorce) all the time, isn't it more likely it was just a marriage?
Old 06-29-12, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to click on this to find out wtf TomKat was. Wonder how Holmes will survive..cuz you know...she has such an awesome career there.
Old 06-29-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I hear John Travolta is quite pleased with the news.
Old 06-29-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm still sad my name combo, Tatie Colmes, never took off.
Old 06-29-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Oprah's couch can rest easy.
Old 06-29-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously it was sham marriage. Tom Cruise is as gay as an easter bonnet ...it's Hollywood's worst kept secret (well aside from Travolta). No heterosexual male would jump up and down on a couch on national television professing his more for his fair maiden. That was cringeworthy to the extreme.

He is also batshit crazy.

Old 06-29-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

So I guess the sanctity of a Scientology wedding is about as strong as the other religions. I had strong hopes for that one
Old 06-29-12, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So who gets custody of the "messiah"... I mean their kid?
Old 06-29-12, 03:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
So who gets custody of the "messiah"... I mean their kid?
Wait, Obama is their son?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.