Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Cooper, Diesel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Cooper, Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) D: Gunn; S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Gillan, Cooper

I'm assuming Thanos will be in this flick and will tie into the Avengers sequel? Man, the price of Iron Man #55 is gonna get even higher (1st Thanos and Drax).
Old 07-14-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) D: Gunn; S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Gillan, Cooper

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I'm assuming Thanos will be in this flick and will tie into the Avengers sequel?
Rumors prior to today's announcement have already confirmed this.
Old 07-14-12, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Soooooo were the rumors confirmed? lol I'm fuckin' with you, of course Thanos has got to be in this just would like someone official stating that.
Old 07-19-12, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I forgot to comment on this. I know this is concept art. So...I'm taking this w/ a grain of salt.

I dig Starlord's (guy in mask) look. I'm assuming that's Gamora on the side, can't really tell much about her aside that she looks fine. HOWEVER...Is that Drax w/ only one fucking hand? WTF is that where his right hand i supposed to be? Don't really like Groot's visual either. Also...Rocket Raccoon is a bit too.....cartoony for me. I know this is concept but..I'd like to see wtf the other concept art is like.
Old 07-19-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to see a character named Rocket Racoon in a movie theater. If you told me that ten years ago, I'd say you were a fucking loon,
Old 07-19-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Also...Rocket Raccoon is a bit too.....cartoony for me. I know this is concept but..I'd like to see wtf the other concept art is like.
Eh, just watch a Narnia movie and you'll accept it.
Old 07-19-12, 05:16 PM
Banned

I know what Narnia is but don't exactly get the statement.
Old 07-19-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just sub the sword with a rocket
Old 07-19-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Eh, just watch a Narnia movie and you'll accept it.
DON'T LISTEN TO THIS MAN SNAKE.

The Narnia films were all garbage. Well the first two were enough for me to not even bother with the third... and I would say that goes for the majority as they're not producing the remaining four!
Old 07-19-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I wasn't talking about the movies themselves. But the fact that a talking, weapon-wielding critter can be pulled off. I was just using Reepicheep as a reference.
Old 07-19-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^I wasn't talking about the movies themselves. But the fact that a talking, weapon-wielding critter can be pulled off. I was just using Reepicheep as a reference.
The biggest difference between the Marvel Studios' films and the Narnia franchise have been the Narnia films have taken place in a fantasy world.

The Marvel films have (tried) to have some sort of resemblance of being grounded in reality. They mash the real with the whimsical. It's a tough job to pull off, but it can be done as long as Marvel gets the right team in place.
Old 07-19-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys are ragging on the Rocket now. But some day Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be a big hit, and you're going to say "Oh, I've been into Rocket Raccoon for years and I think he's fabulous".
Old 08-03-12, 03:29 PM
Banned

Via THR:

Chris McCoy is being tapped to rewrite Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Studios’ space adventure movie.

Galaxy is part of Marvel’s second wave of movies and is the only new title among the crop of mostly sequels featuring Iron Man, Thor and Captain America. It was revealed as the company’s mystery movie in late June and officially announced at Comic-Con in July.

While there have been several incarnations of the team in the comics over the years, the movie’s lineup will include Drax the Destroyer, a human resurrected as a green warrior with the sole purpose of killing Thanos (the villain in the Avengers final-scene tease); Groot, a giant tree-man; Star-Lord, a gun-toting half-human/half-alien intergalactic vigilante; Rocket Raccoon, a genetically engineered animal with a knack for guns and explosives; and Gamora, the last survivor of her species who was saved by Thanos to be his assassin but now battles him.

Nicole Perlman wrote the previous draft. Perlman is graduate of Marvel’s now-defunct writing program who wrote two space-themed biopics: Challenger, about the 1986 Space Shuttle disaster, and an untitled Neil Armstrong project.

While he has yet to achieve a produced credit, McCoy is considered to have a lot of heat as a writer. The scribe has had three of his specs land on the Black List: Get Back in 2007, Good Looking in 2009 and Good Kids in 2011. His scripts have been praised for their quirky comedic bent.

McCoy is repped by WME and the Gotham Group.
Old 08-18-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Okay, so James Gunn (Slither & Super) in talks to direct Guardians..... I am interested now.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marve...axy-32552.html

Marvel Studios has a track record of picking unlikely directors for their giant tentpole projects, but they may have just outdone themselves. James Gunn, the indie filmmaker whose last movie was the dark anti-superhero movie Super, is apparently the studio's top choice to direct Guardians of the Galaxy, the upcoming space drama that's a key part of "phase two" of the studio's development.

Announced at Comic Con last month, Guardians of the Galaxy is set for release August 1, 2014, which gives them not a lot of time to put together a CGI-heavy film set in space that features a machine-gun-wielding raccoon as one of its characters. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel is considering several other unlikely choices if talks with Gunn don't work out-- they're also eyeing Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, the indie filmmakers behind projects like Half-Nelson and It's Kind Of A Funny Story, and Peyton Reed, most famous for directing Bring It On. If they had simply thrown darts at a board covered with every director currently alive, I don't think they could have come up with a more seemingly random list.

But that's kind of the magic of the Marvel films so far, which have brought in unlikely choices-- like Kenneth Branagh for Thor, or especially Joss Whedon for The Avengers-- and made them pay off in spadea. Marvel is also famous for refusing to pay top dollar for talent, and Gunn-- whose debut film Slither made $7.8 million total, and whose Super topped out at $327,716 theatrically-- surely can't demand a giant paycheck. We'll see if talks pan out, but Gunn's participation could take Guardians of the Galaxy from what looked like an oddball also-ran Marvel movie to something potentially fascinating, dark and unlike anything else they've made.
Old 08-18-12, 02:33 PM
Banned

well that's interesting. Never saw Slither....always wanted too.
Old 08-18-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
well that's interesting. Never saw Slither....always wanted too.
Rectify that asap. Slither is hysterically awesome. Great gore and Nathan Fillion is the lead.

If they let Gunn direct, I'd love for him to contribute to screenplay.

He's a cool dude. I won an autographed Super script by the entire cast a few months ago.
Old 08-18-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If Gunn and Whedon are both directing the MCU, it can't be long until Nathan Fillion shows up.
Old 08-18-12, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Rectify that asap. Slither is hysterically awesome. Great gore and Nathan Fillion is the lead.

He's a cool dude. I won an autographed Super script by the entire cast a few months ago.
I'm actually, and seems like hopelessly, waiting for it to hit BD. It was on HD DVD. I know I would like it. I just...await to own it at some point.

Originally Posted by anomynous
If Gunn and Whedon are both directing the MCU, it can't be long until Nathan Fillion shows up.
And that might be too much for us to handle. I honestly no idea what he'd be in it but he sure has a lot of charm that's hard not to love.
Old 08-18-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If Gunn directs then my interest level has raised by 137%.
Old 08-18-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if gunn's directing...uh, i'm fucking in.
Old 08-18-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
If Gunn gets the gig, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up polishing the screenplay. In fact, I also wouldn't be surprised if Whedon contributes notes too.

I hope Gunn says yes.
Old 08-18-12, 11:44 PM

Joss Whedon, James Gunn, Edgar Wright and Shane Black is a nerd murderers row of directors. Not sure how the Russo's fit in, though..

I just now learned Gunn from Angel was named after him. That's awesome.
Old 08-19-12, 04:44 AM
Banned

So...out of all the directors Marvel has hired...who's the most expensive? I'd assume it'd be Wright and Whedon, no?
Old 08-19-12, 09:10 AM

Of Phase II and on, Joss Whedon, post-Avengers most likely.
Old 09-18-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So James Gunn just confirmed on his FB page that it is on:

For a month or so there’s been a lot of Internet speculation about my involvement with Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Until now I haven’t said anything, because I’m trying to be less expulsive about this project than I am about the rest of my life. But last night I got the go-ahead from Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing Guardians of the Galaxy. As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I’ve been waiting to make since I was nine years old. Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we’re committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited. I am also incredibly grateful to the fans and the press for all their words of encouragement and support regarding my involvement with this project since the news first leaked. Thanks – you have, honestly, touched and overwhelmed me. And that’s it for now. Other than the occasional photos of my dog and cat here on Facebook, I’ll talk to you again in August 2014 when Guardians is released!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.