Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Great Escape -- From the Producers of The Amazing Race -- Sundays (TNT)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

This summer, TNT will drop teams of everyday people into the middle of their own epic action/adventure movie and challenge them to complete one task: escape. That's the premise of TNT's first-ever unscripted-competition series, The Great Escape. This fast-paced, nail-biting series comes from the Emmy®-winning producers of The Amazing Race and the Oscar®- and Emmy-winning producers of Apollo 13, The Da Vinci Code and 24. The Great Escape will take viewers on a thrill ride as competing teams try to escape from seemingly impossible situations, with the winning team taking home a huge cash prize. Rich Eisen (NFL Network) hosts The Great Escape, which is slated to premiere Sunday, June 24, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT), after an all-new episode of TNT's epic sci-fi drama series Falling Skies.

Each week on The Great Escape, three pairs of players are taken to a secret location that none of them has ever seen before. Upon arrival, the teams must race against each other to find a way out. Along the way, they are faced with a range of obstacles that they must overcome in order to make their way to freedom. Some challenges require brute strength while others call for brains and strategy.

To raise the stakes even higher, the players won't be alone. They will have to avoid detection by guards and others whose job it is to stop anyone and everyone from escaping. Players must rely on their wits, skills and whatever tools they can find to overcome obstacles, evade pursuers and make their way to freedom, where Eisen will be waiting to hand the winners a cash prize.

The Great Escape comes to TNT from some of the biggest and most successful names in the industry. The series is executive-produced by the Oscar-winning team of Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, and Francie Calfo as well as the Emmy-winning producers of The Amazing Race, Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri. The series is created and executive produced by Justin W. Hochberg (The Apprentice) and Charlie Ebersol (The Wanted).

TNT's The Great Escape is a production of Fox Television Studios, Imagine Television, The Hochberg Ebersol Company and Profiles Television Productions.

Promo:

<param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TNT/cvp/2.0/cvp_embed_container1.swf?site=tnt&profile=4&context=embed&contentId=310578' /><param name='bgcolor' 'value='#FFFFFF' /><embed src='http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TNT/cvp/2.0/cvp_embed_container1.swf?site=tnt&profile=4&context=embed&contentId=310578' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' bgcolor='#FFFFFF' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' width='442' height='375'></embed></object>

Overview of the show:

<param name='movie' value='http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TNT/cvp/2.0/cvp_embed_container1.swf?site=tnt&profile=4&context=embed&contentId=322871' /><param name='bgcolor' 'value='#FFFFFF' /><embed src='http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TNT/cvp/2.0/cvp_embed_container1.swf?site=tnt&profile=4&context=embed&contentId=322871' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' bgcolor='#FFFFFF' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' width='442' height='375'></embed></object>
Old 06-24-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Great Escape -- From the Producers of The Amazing Race -- Sundays (TNT)

as someone going through Amazing Race withdrawal i am looking forward to this.
Old 06-24-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I'll give it a shot. I have nothing else to watch this evening.
Old 06-25-12, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk God

After watching the 1st episode tonight, I'm kind of lukewarm on the concept of this show. The idea of the show is interesting, but I don't think it was really executed well here.

It wasn't horrible, but alot of it was very repetitive and corny. The 3 teams getting "captured" and having to start the game over again got really repetitive. Also, having the guards walking around and capturing the contestants is kind of corny IMO. You mean to tell me these guards can't see the contestants being followed around with camera crews and lighting people?

After Rich Eisen explained the concept of the show, I kind of figured they wouldn't stretch out an escape from Alcratraz to 10 weeks. It also doesn't really give the viewer a chance to get invested in the contestants.

I was meh on the brother-sister red team winning. The green team was alot more interesting because that Lexx guy was borderline psychotic.
Old 06-25-12, 11:39 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, having the guards walking around and capturing the contestants is kind of corny IMO. You mean to tell me these guards can't see the contestants being followed around with camera crews and lighting people?
This is the part that bugged me as well. It's the same problem I had with that show Chase that was on SyFy a few years ago (Watch on Hulu). I'm guessing there are strict rules and routes the guards have to follow and it just ends up feeling like 'video game stealth', where you just study the routine, wait for the right moment and run for it while the guard is looking the other way, knowing they can't and won't break their pattern.
Old 06-25-12, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was awful, couldn't finish the episode. As said already, the guard stuff was dumb and got repetitive. None of the Stages were difficult and even if you were caught, it seemed like everyone was able to get back right where they needed to be without any guard issue in no time at all.
Old 06-25-12, 07:09 PM

I thought this was pretty bad. The getting caught thing was dumb IMO, worse guards ever. I found you, now let me put you back into the same cell you've escaped from 2 times already.
Old 06-25-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

The problem I also have is 1 episode is not enough time to get invested/interested in these contestants. The Amazing Race at least allows you to get invested in the same group of contestants over the course of 3 months.

I'll give this maybe 1-2 more weeks, but these 1 and done episodes aren't very appealing, especially for a competition themed show.
Old 06-26-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Awful premise with some of the worst casting I've seen on TNT. I couldn't make it past 35 minutes into the episode. It was obvious to me someone at the network came up with the title and premise first, and then told some producer to make it happen without giving any sort of detail to the concept.
Old 06-26-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I must be in the minority cause I thought that was awesome. I'm in for a season pass.
Old 06-26-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

The Alcatraz setting was cool, but I was also wondering why the guards didn't see the cameramen and their lights every time.

Next week's episode on the aircraft carrier might be interesting, but I have a feeling I won't be sticking with this show very long.
Old 06-26-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damfino
The Alcatraz setting was cool, but I was also wondering why the guards didn't see the cameramen and their lights every time.

Next week's episode on the aircraft carrier might be interesting, but I have a feeling I won't be sticking with this show very long.
They probably did but that's too easy a way for them to get caught.

So they probably set up some rule about already having would have seen them even without the cameras pointing them out to actually count.
Old 06-28-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I call bullshit on the teams being captured. Seems like producer interference to me.
Old 06-29-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm guessing that the guards are instructed to follow a set pattern and can only "catch" an escapee if they stray into their direct line of sight while they're making their rounds. Of course they can hear them and see the cameras so it only makes sense that there be some ground rules to follow.
Old 07-02-12, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the second episode was an improvement. I like how the door puzzle had to be solved in its own unique way and that the hoisting of the crate didn't have 3 unique ways but ended up being that. For a summer show I'll think I stick with it. Especially if the puzzles stay varied.

The brother throwing his sister under the bus.