Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Falling Skies - Season Premiere - "Worlds Apart/Shall We Gather at the River" 6/17/12

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Falling Skies - Season Premiere - "Worlds Apart/Shall We Gather at the River" 6/17/12

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Season 2
Episodes 1 & 2 (of 10)

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Season 2 opens with Pope seizing command of a renegade contingent within the 2nd Mass unit. Meanwhile, Tom suddenly returns to the group, but his loyalty comes into question; and Hal and Ben drift apart.

Tom is plagued by haunting memories of his time with the aliens and begins to speculate that they may have tampered with his mind. Elsewhere, Pope oversees an interview with Tom; Ben's hatred toward the skitters escalates; and scouts discover a bridge that could lead the group to safety.

Trailer:

Opening 3 minutes:

http://www.tvfanatic.com/videos/fall...ing-3-minutes/
Old 06-16-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Falling Skies - Season Premiere - "Worlds Apart/Shall We Gather at the River" 6/2

6/27? It airs tomorrow night.
Old 06-17-12, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: Falling Skies - Season Premiere - "Worlds Apart/Shall We Gather at the River" 6/2

Looking forward to this.
Old 06-17-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I completely forgot this even existed. I'll try it again.

And I did not remember that end.

Last edited by arminius; 06-17-12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-17-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Hopefully, season 2 is better then season1 which was a bit of a mess.
Old 06-17-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Falling Skies - Season Premiere - "Worlds Apart/Shall We Gather at the River" 6/1

Fixed the date in the thread title.
Old 06-17-12, 09:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Falling Skies - Season Premiere - "Worlds Apart/Shall We Gather at the River" 6/1

I muddled thru the lackluster first season.... I'll probably only give it 1-2 more eps before deciding if I will continue. It never was very good.
Old 06-17-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I liked S1 for the most part. It's better than the sci-fi crap (V, Flash Forward, The Event, etc) the networks have put out in recent years.
Old 06-17-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Red Dog said, the first season was OK and better than most Sci-Fi on the networks. It's summer so it will be nice to have another shpw to watch. I can't for the life of me remember how season 1 ended, can anyone give a recap?
Old 06-17-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Video Recap of season 1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5T-L_76k2ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-17-12, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed S1 quite a bit more than I expected, although I suspect much of that was due to the charisma of Noah Wyle. I also thought the pacing was quite good. Where they could have drawn out that kid who was rescued from the Skitters acting suspiciously, the son pretty much reported him right away. The showdown at the school and the (unexpected) defeat of the attack on the structure added up to a pretty satisfying conclusion.

Watched a few interviews and previews and this season looks to hit the ground running. From what I've read, they deal with a few of the deus ex machina from the first season (the radio jammers, the magic bullets, etc.)

Here's to more aliens!
Old 06-17-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After I read about how the new show runners had to backflip out of last seasons finale, I'm curious to see the results.
Old 06-17-12, 06:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
After I read about how the new show runners had to backflip out of last seasons finale, I'm curious to see the results.
what does that mean?
Old 06-17-12, 06:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen a couple of critics including Mo Ryan who have tweeted that this season is much Improved. And I liked last year so I'm psyched,
Old 06-17-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

If I'm not mistaken, almost all the Producers and wriiting staff from season 1 have left the show. I know Graham Yost was a credited Writer/Producer in season 1, but he's solely working on Justified now.

I knew about the new showrunner as he was hired before season 1 aired.
Old 06-17-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Video Recap of season 1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5T-L_76k2ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks!
Old 06-18-12, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk God

That was a pretty damn good 2 hours. It almost felt like an entirely different show compared to last season. I was alot more invested in the characters and plot than I was most of last season. It opened up with a bang with that pretty intense shootout with the Mechs.

I thought the non-linear storytelling tracing Tom's steps back from last season worked pretty well for this episode.

I wasn't a huge fan of Pope, but he was alot more interesting in this episode. I liked that he was alot more badass.

When the hell did Sarah Carter start adding the Sanguin part to her name? I recall someone mentioning it last season, but I thought it was some inside joke I wasn't getting.

I was also pretty impressed with the special effects and creatures budget for this episode. IMO, there seemed to be alot more Skitters and Mechs in this episode compared to most of last season.

So I'm assuming that parasite that Anne pulled out of Tom's eye was some kind recording/monitoring device? I don't know what kind of information it would have reported back to the Skitters since Tom was bedridden most of the 1st hour after getting shot.

Overall good start to the season.
Old 06-18-12, 03:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

vast improvement! I'm in.
Old 06-19-12, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I like the alien parts of this show, but hopefully they cut down on the 'dumb things kids do' angle.

It also still does things that drive me up the wall.

For example... The bridge gets hit. Okay, now you can't easily drive across it. But the line from Pope is 'You can't even walk across this thing."

I guess you'd have to be a Wallenda to make your way across that tiny little yellow beam on the right, you know, right next to the handrail. Nah, we better send the boy to swim across.

Also, what's wrong with this picture? Not that it was a big deal, but still, so glaring it should be caught:

Old 06-19-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

^^

I see it. Maybe they shot the scene at a wrong angle and had to invert it. That was a blink and you will miss it kind of thing. I know I didn't see it Sunday night.
Old 06-19-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

It's a post-apocalyptic world. Who knows how they had to rebuild bikes with spare parts. I say, it adds to the realism.
Old 06-19-12, 12:56 PM

My biggest issue with this show is the kids....total stop-down whenever they're dealing with the middle son who was previously "harnessed" and the youngest one. Speaking of the pipsqueak, how the hell did he get past the front line of soldiers to be the one to save papa by shooting the skitter on the bridge? And where did he get the M-16?

Other than that, I enjoyed the premiere. You can definitely see the benefits of the season two budget.
Old 06-19-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to catch this online sometime this week. Looking forward to 10 more eps!!
Old 06-19-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

These episodes were better than last year, though I was disappointed by the interaction with the alien on the ship. A lot more could have been laid out for the aliens' motivations.
Old 06-19-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
^^

I see it. Maybe they shot the scene at a wrong angle and had to invert it. That was a blink and you will miss it kind of thing. I know I didn't see it Sunday night.
Yeah, I'm guessing they wanted them to be headed in the same direction you saw in the scene prior, so they just flipped the image. Usually pay attention to the bikes since they use a lot of older bikes (for some reason, the invasion seems to have wiped out any recent bike models). I saw it right away and when I viewed it again you could see that she let out the clutch with her right hand, and the throttle cable was on the left-hand side.

Originally Posted by chowderhead
It's a post-apocalyptic world. Who knows how they had to rebuild bikes with spare parts. I say, it adds to the realism.
See above...

Originally Posted by dave94
My biggest issue with this show is the kids....total stop-down whenever they're dealing with the middle son who was previously "harnessed" and the youngest one. Speaking of the pipsqueak, how the hell did he get past the front line of soldiers to be the one to save papa by shooting the skitter on the bridge? And where did he get the M-16?

Other than that, I enjoyed the premiere. You can definitely see the benefits of the season two budget.
Yeah, I agree about the kids. Kids seem to make a lot of shows more annoying. Maybe Pipsqueak will become this show's Carl. God, I hope not...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.