Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Better performance: Daniel Day Lewis/There Will be Blood or Robert Deniro/Raging Bull

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Robert Deniro in Raging Bull or Daniel Day Lewis in There Will be Blood
Daniel Day Lewis
32.14%
Robert Deniro
67.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Better performance: Daniel Day Lewis/There Will be Blood or Robert Deniro/Raging Bull

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Two of the most iconic film performances of alltime. Whats your pick?
Old 06-03-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Better performance: Daniel Day Lewis/There Will be Blood or Robert Deniro/Raging

Daniel Day Lewis

DeNiro is truly great as LaMotta, but you still easily see DeNiro in the character; Day Lewis is unrecognizable.
Old 06-04-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Better performance: Daniel Day Lewis/There Will be Blood or Robert Deniro/Raging

It wasn't even DeNiro's best performance, granted it was Day Lewis' best either... but gonna go with Day Lewis.
Old 06-04-12, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ddl
Old 06-04-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Instead of voting, I'm just going to chime in and say that calling Daniel Day Lewis' performance in There Will Be Blood one of the most iconic film performances of all time is overstating things just a little.
Old 06-04-12, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heh...I didn't read the OP..just thread question.

Not sure if I'd actually call it iconic either. I'd say Taxi Driver is iconic. Daniel Plainview played by DDL is a better job on so many levels but..it's not iconic..just fucking good. I feel horrible for saying that about that role but it's not really iconic.
Old 06-04-12, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

De Niro really embodied the role a lot heavier(no pun intended) in Raging Bull. It is a much harsher film then There Will Be Blood, and I thought that De Niro was unregocnizable in the role and I as I watch the film I forget it is De Niro. All I see is a jealous, crazy monster beating his wife and yelling.

Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood, just reminded me of Bill the Butcher. I mean it was powerful. But I thought De Niro was better.
Old 06-04-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Not to take anything away from Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in There Will Be Blood, which was masterful, but I gotta go with DeNiro.
The way he portrayed his character with all these insecurities & flaws just waiting to explode.
The little nuances & facial expressions he used such as in the scene where he is asking his brother if he is having an affair with his wife are brilliant.
Old 06-04-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Robert DeNiro is better for me. Yeah, Day-Lewis was unrecognizable, however he overacted...his character was acted beyond the point of realism. He didn't feel like a real person.

In Gangs of NY, that heightened performance style was pitch perfect for the surreal world they created. but I don't know what kind of world There will be Blood was, it strived to be real but it was also very exaggerated. There is a tone problem in it.

DeNiro felt like a real person. The role also demanded way more of the actor, because of the emotions and physicality. You feel drained after watching the film, due to his power. In There will be Blood, you feel drained at the end, due to its running length.
Old 06-04-12, 01:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I voted DeNiro.

I think DDL was best in Gangs of New York (even though it's a bad film).

And DeNiro best performance is probably Taxi Driver.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-05-12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Bobby.

But when comparing these two movies, we need to remember that De Niro was blessed with the better DIRECTOR...so perhaps Daniel DID give a better performance, and Marty just put it all together better than Paul Thomas Anderson did.
Old 06-04-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems most of us who chose DeNiro are giving explanations, while the ones who choose Daniel Day-Lewis are remaining silent. I wonder if DDL is being chosen for the reasons similar to people liking Scarface, because of all the crazy lines he shouted during the movie and his outbursts. It is probably a more 'cult classic' performance.

Maybe it would have been better to compare him to DeNiro in Cape Fear, due to the transformation and 'theatrical' over-the-top quality of his acting there. That role makes me think DeNiro could have done Gangs of NY as well.
Old 06-04-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob
Old 06-04-12, 05:34 PM
Banned

De Niro.
Old 06-04-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I voted DeNiro.

I think DDL was better in Gangs of New York (even though it's a bad film).

And DeNiro best performance is probably Taxi Driver.
It's definitely Taxi Driver.
Old 06-04-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Deniro. But both performances are masterful.
Old 06-04-12, 09:47 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Raging Bull it's acting like an unlikeable asshole the whole movie and at the end "sorry bout that folks". Taxi Driver he is layered upon layered tapping into a universal problem that no one really thought about to make a movie about.