Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Axl Rose Bans Slash T-Shirts From Guns N’ Roses Gigs.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-02-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Well, that much-hoped-for Guns N' Roses reunion keeps seeming more and more unlikely. After Axl Rose, the band's lone remaining original member, sat out GNR's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April (and was booed by ceremony attendees in absentia), he's made it even more clear that he has no plans to make nice with his former bandmate, guitarist Slash. Because apparently not only is Slash not welcome at any GNR gigs, but neither are Slash T-shirts.

According to British music magazine NME, a fan at GNR's May 31 concert at London's O2 Arena, who showed up a wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the top-hatted likeness of Axl's nemesis, was forced by security to remove his shirt at the door. The concertgoer, 18-year-old James Revell, grudgingly abided and entered the venue bare-chested.

When NME asked O2's security if there was in fact an official ban on Slash shirts, the answer was: "We were told by the management not to allow anyone into the O2 Arena who is wearing a Slash T-shirt, and we are asking anyone who is to remove it and if they refuse they will be turned away."

Revell told NME: "I believe they asked me to do this because Axl Rose has some problem with Slash and if he saw me wearing the shirt he might have stormed offstage." However, O2 security stated that this ban applied even to audience members sitting in the very back rows of the 20,000-capacity venue, who could not possibly have been spotted by Axl from the arena's stage.

Said Revell: "I felt very angry because I was looking after my little brother at the time, and felt as though my freedom to wear what I want had been taken away from me. However, I did not react angrily, as I didn't want to spoil the show for him."

He added: "I have never experienced anything as insulting as that at a concert before and I had to sit there in my little brother's jumper [sweater] and wait for Axl to turn up well over an hour late, which we could only stay to watch three songs as we had to catch a train back. I think that Axl Rose doesn't appreciate his fans or anyone for that matter, he needs to grow up and stop acting like a child."

No word yet on whether Velvet Revolver, Izzy Stradlin & The Ju Ju Hounds, Adler's Appetite, Gilby Clarke, or Buckethead tees are allowed at Guns N' Roses shows--but just to be safe, if you attend a GNR gig any time soon, you may want to bring a change of clothing with you.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-th...213123025.html
Old 06-02-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Axl Rose Bans Slash T-Shirts From Guns N’ Roses Gigs.

I think that Axl Rose doesn't appreciate his fans or anyone for that matter, he needs to grow up and stop acting like a child."
When did he ever appreciate the fans or not act like a child.

Only an hour late going on? Consider yourself lucky.
Old 06-02-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Why do people pay money to see him, again?
Old 06-02-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

So, Axl won't let people wear Slash t-shirts at his show, but he allows (probably requires) this bozo to wear one on stage?!?
Old 06-02-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad this happened in London and not in the United States, where he could be sued for infringing upon other people's freedom of speech.
Old 06-02-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm so sick of reading endless non-news about G'n'R. Slash is clearly tired of discussing the much-wanted reunion ad naseum, and Axl keeps proving to everyone that he's a dick whose talent well dried up long ago.
Old 06-02-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bus
Because they still put on a good show
Old 06-02-12, 02:11 PM

^ No they don't. They suck and have sucked for years. Douchebag Rose is as washed up as you can get. He is the worst douchebag in music. Whats even more amazing is his ego is still in tact! He is viewed as a joke by everyone in the music business. He should crawl under a rock and die finally!
Old 06-02-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

What a little bitch.
Old 06-02-12, 02:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Too bad this happened in London and not in the United States, where he could be sued for infringing upon other people's freedom of speech.
Private venue.
Old 06-02-12, 09:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
I imagine most casual GnR fans have no clue about the internal power struggles the band went through.
Old 06-02-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

This is pretty ridiculous. So what if the shirt is from the Guns N' Roses era when Slash was in the band and has a group photo or something? I assume they'd kick someone out for that. What if someone is wearing a sweatshirt or jacket with a Slash shirt under and the person takes it off? Does security go around checking or something ?? Axl needs to get over it already.
Old 06-03-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to fans take this viral and arrange to all bring in the Slash shirts, change in the venue restrooms, and fill the first few rows in front of the stage. Talk about a grudge.
Old 06-03-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
I'd love to fans take this viral and arrange to all bring in the Slash shirts, change in the venue restrooms, and fill the first few rows in front of the stage. Talk about a grudge.
Or just wear them underneath another shirt, and take them off when Axl takes the stage.
Old 06-03-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Then Axl gets pissed, storms off the stage during the first song, and a riot ensues.
Old 06-03-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wasn't there a thread here recently where someone suggested that Slash was the real problem in the group?
Old 06-03-12, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MWB
Wasn't there a thread here recently where someone suggested that Slash was the real problem in the group?
I think that was about Velvet Revolver in the Scott Weiland rejoining Velvet Revolver thread
Old 06-04-12, 04:23 PM
Banned

what a jackass.
Old 06-04-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
I don't know that I completely buy that Slash is all innocent either. In this instance it's nothing of his doing but Velvet Revolver has been looking for a new frontman for what like five years? I don't think he's as big a problem as Axl but I think he's a little big headed himself.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-04-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that Slash is difficult to work with, but it's sort of hard to not see Axl Rose as the driving force behind the destruction of Guns n Roses: He's the last original member left. Slash, Duff, and Matt all either quit or were fired within a short span of time. Chinese Democracy took something like fifteen years to come out. Rose's onstage behavior (showing up late, storming off stage in the middle of concerts).
Old 06-04-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
He's the last original member left. Slash, Duff, and Matt all either quit or were fired
If you're counting Matt as an original, then you have to count Dizzy too--and Dizzy's still in the band
Old 06-04-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho
If you're counting Matt as an original, then you have to count Dizzy too--and Dizzy's still in the band
I really wasn't counting Matt as an original member, but something seems to have happened because all three of those guys were out of the band within a relatively short time. And, if Slash was the problem, since he was the first one gone, then why did the other two leave less than a year later? Of course, Slash, Duff, and Matt ended up working together again in Velvet Revolver...

I am sort of surprised that Dizzy has managed to stick around as long as he has, but keyboard players are generally the lowest guy on the totem pole in a rock band.

I suppose it really shouldn't be surprising that there's a lot of turnover in the band. Tracii Guns, the "Guns" of Guns n' Roses was out before they even recorded their first album.
Old 06-04-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that Slash is difficult to work with, but it's sort of hard to not see Axl Rose as the driving force behind the destruction of Guns n Roses: He's the last original member left. Slash, Duff, and Matt all either quit or were fired within a short span of time. Chinese Democracy took something like fifteen years to come out. Rose's onstage behavior (showing up late, storming off stage in the middle of concerts).
Yep.

Axl made a number of decisions which alienated his bandmates over the years. To not showing up to rehearsals and recording sessions, to firing their long-time manager and demanding that the guys sign over the name "Guns N' Roses" to him, to firing Gilby by himself and bringing on one of Axl's childhood friends as a replacement. It's nearly impossible to point the finger at anyone else besides Axl as the sole reason for Guns N' Roses' disintegration.

As for why VR can't seem to find a replacement singer, who knows? Maybe they just don't want to. Duff, Matt, and Slash seem to be perfectly happy with their current projects. To say that VR can't find a singer = Slash is the problem = Slash was the secret problem behind GN'R is fucking absurd. Why Slash? Why not Duff, or Matt? Slash, Duff, and Matt have been cool with each other for over two decades now.

Last edited by Matt; 06-04-12 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Or just cancelation the damn show entirely with short notice. I wouldn't mind seeing Guns 'N Roses live just for the sake of it, but knowing that Axl takes his sweet ass time to start a show and then is likely to run off stage before the setlist is even done... nah. Not worth my money. I'll go buy a couple of Blu-rays in place of a ticket to see this idiot live.
Old 06-07-12, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Or just cancelation the damn show entirely with short notice. I wouldn't mind seeing Guns 'N Roses live just for the sake of it, but knowing that Axl takes his sweet ass time to start a show and then is likely to run off stage before the setlist is even done... nah. Not worth my money. I'll go buy a couple of Blu-rays in place of a ticket to see this idiot live.
i was lucky when i saw them on the tour when buckethead was in the band. they started on time, played around 2 1/2 hrs and sounded great. it was one of the best shows ive been to and ive been to over 100 concerts. my tickets were free though so i didnt have to worry about losing out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.