Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I fucking loved it - saw the midnight IMAX and thought visually, it was excellent. A lot of great production design and the 3D was very immersive. I liked that there were a lot of big ideas they through out there, even if none of them really get fleshed out.

I feel a lot of the characters did make stupid decisions, but in a movie like this, I'm fine with it to a point. Sure we don't really care about many of the characters (Nothing in the film makes me care for them, but I bring baggage of already liking people like Elba to the film) and there were a few moments that really needed to be expanded (like what was happening to Holloway and when the mineral dude showed up for that final time). Fassbender stole the movie, even if his motivations are mysterious. The special effects were great though, and I really like almost anything to do with the Engineers and how they were complete pricks

I wasn't a fan of the score overall, but the rest of the sound design was great. I need to see it again to take it all in and probably will reserve my star rating until then, but even when I was frustrated with the film, I was still having a great time, so I can overlook most of the flaws that are clearly there. I am eager for a sequel and hope this makes enough cash to make one possible.
Old 06-08-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I have to say, I kind of got chills when David was imitating Peter O'Toole. Fassbender is fucking amazing.

Upon reflection, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Going again to see it in IMAX and with the knowledge that it's not a direct prequel to Alien .

I too had a problem with what happened with Vickers. She seemed a somewhat pointless character whose sole function is walking around in spandex for eye-humping purposes, which I've noticed is consistent with many of her roles (Aeon Flux, 2 Days in the Valley).

One possible theory I do have that makes her interesting:

Spoiler:
Vickers is a Nexus 6 replicant, which last I checked was not a robot like David but a synthetic being. She was clearly displaying Nexus 6 level emotions toward the end, unlike David, and was most likely under the impression that she was Weyland's real daughter via the memory implants.

Take that FWIW. Kind of interesting that Scott wants to re-visit the worlds of both of his sci-fi efforts so close together, don't you think? Maybe he's trying to tie everything together.

Also:

Spoiler:
Kind of letdown that the Engineers were a bunch of intergalactic douchebags. I guess we are to infer that every ship had its own share of bio-weapons and the one in Alien is another such ship where stuff went awry. These guys weren't really that clever I guess, if this stuff keeps happening. Does this mean David and Shaw flew off in a ship also full of weapons at the end ? Not too safe IMO.
Old 06-08-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I too went to a midnight IMAX 3D showing. I loved it!

Right from the onset, this is an Alien prequel film....although it also isn't. There is so much going on in this, but you really did not need to be a fan of the Alien franchise to get what was going on.

Rapace was good, is she future leading lady material, that I can't say. Fassbender on the other hand steals the movie with very little effort. I also loved the fact he looked like Bowie, which all of cohorts with me last night did not even pick up on.

Another aspect I loved was how practical most of the effects in the film were. Can you tell when there is CG, yes. But for the most part, it wasn't like an overpowering Michael Bay CG-fest. And the sound design for this was, pardon the pun, out of this world. I have always liked films that make you feel like you are in them. This one did it perfectly. I do expect some Oscar nods.

The one thing I did not like was the actual 3D. While it is used perfectly, it felt a little off. Now this could be because I wear glasses, but I did experience some dizziness while watching. But Scott totally understands how 3D works and uses it to create atmosphere, rather then a plot device.

This is without a doubt one of the best films of 2012 so far. I hope the home video release comes out before Christmas.
Old 06-08-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ooh, it's a weird mainstream Hollywood movie? I like weird mainstream Hollywood movies.
Old 06-08-12, 11:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that more people have seen it, I'm going to get into some detail about what I thought were problems (spoilered for length and content and so people sick of hearing me whining don't have to look at it):

Spoiler:
Scene 1. Directed panspermia. Does this create all life on Earth or only human life? If it's the former, how could the Engineers have accounted for the mass extinction events that go on through Earth's history? Did they cause those events? Why bother? If it's the latter, how could we be so closely related to the great apes?

Shaw and Holloway are boring and obnoxious, respectively. The basic premise is exactly the same as AvP.

Prometheus has a crew of 17. That's too many people for a movie like this. Alien had 7 characters and you cared about all of them. Prometheus has 17+ and you care about maybe two of them.

Case in point, crew wakes up, one guy introduces himself to another as "the biologist." He has a name, but we won't remember it. The other guy angrily tells him to sod off. Great character development, guys.

Vickers is really antagonistic to Shaw and Holloway. I'm sure this will be important later, right? Not really.

The team goes in and Holloway takes off his helmet. The air is like earth's in the structure, but we have no clue if there are, oh I don't know, airborne viruses? Holloway is a jackass and so is everyone else for following his lead.

Geologist guy freaks out and starts shouting about big dead bodies. Why? Because it feels dramatic. It's not. It's melodramatic and stupid.

Holloway manages to unleash what look like earthworms. Why would earthworms be on the soles of the boots of a suit designed for space travel? I highly doubt people were running around in those boots outside on earth soil before putting them on the ship.

Back on the ship, we see the Engineer's head. Shaw, like any good scientist, runs a rigorous set of tests and is careful to preserve the specimen. Oh no wait she jams a needle in its neck and runs an electric current through it. Really?

The biologist and the geologist get lost even though they have arm bands with readouts of the map. Uhm.

Vickers and Elba sleep together. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait, it's not.

David purposefully infects Holloway for seemingly no reason. Maybe he does it because Holloway is an unrepentant jackass, in which case, fine with me. But there's no other good explanation for it.

Shaw casually declares she can't have kids. But she has her faith! This is not character development, it's character telegraphing.

Oh, don't get me started on the Engineer's DNA being the same as ours. Similar to ours? That I would buy. Identical to ours? Fuck you, writers. Do you see any humans that are 9 feet tall, white as bone, with black eyes and massive strength? No, I didn't think so.

Biologist and geologist get scared of a pile of dead bodies and run back to the room that made them so scared the first time that they ran away and got lost. Mutated earthworm shows up and the biologist, now encountering alien life for the first time, treats it like a bunny rabbit. I think any biologist worth his salt would know not to touch strange lifeforms and observe them from a reasonable distance. But no, let's touch the damn thing and SURPRISE it kills them.

Holloway sees he's sick, says nothing, goes out with the expedition anyway. What a douchebag.

They get back to the structure only to have to leave immediately because Holloway is sick. Who structured this plot?

The white snake thing leaps out of the biologist's mouth. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait it's not.

David appears to have expected Shaw to be pregnant with an alien. How could he have foresee Holloway would sleep with her? Why is he interested in a mutant hybrid alien baby? Does this sound like Alien: Resurrection to anyone else?

The CGI in the abortion sequence is awful. The baby looks like a squid. Gone are the elegant creature designs of Giger.

Zombie geologist shows up and kills people. Why? Why not? Does this advance the plot? No. Does it add character development? No. The geologist looks like a reject from The Walking Dead TV series. Who thought this shit up?

Weyland is woken up, has meaningful conversation. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait it's not.

Vickers calls him "father" pointedly. Is she a robot? I guess we'll find out later (no we won't).

They wake up the engineer, finally an answer to our questions! Nope, Engineer goes "Hulk Smash" over everyone for no reason except that the writers couldn't think of an answer to anything.

Let's make a big deal of Vickers gearing up to escape just in time. I'm sure she'll play a major role in the last ten minutes. Nope, she's crushed by a spaceship in one of the dumbest scenes I've seen in a film in a long time. A large, but thin, object is crashing toward her. She keeps running right in the path of the ship. Why not make a 90 degree turn and run away from it that way? Shaw manages to ROLL away from it while Vickers can't make it out alive. Who was Vickers? Was she a robot? Turns out it doesn't matter because fuck you that's why.

Baby hybrid becomes big ass hybrid. Shaw lets White Hulk and Lotus Flower duke it out in a scene with awful CGI. The full grown hybrid is uglier and messier than the baby. Where are Giger's designs when you need them?

What appears to be a fully grown Proto-Xenomorph bursts out of the engineer. The design is a cruel mockery of Giger's original. The CGI is again pretty bad. Is this film suggesting that the Xenomorphs, described in the original film by Ash as the perfect killing machines, were born by accident because of the events of this film? Not only that, but they somehow get from this moon to the next moon over? Was there no one on staff asking these questions?

Every monster is shown in full light with no hidden elements. The mystery is gone. Take that, Alien!

That's just off the top of my head but as you can see my list of complaints is long and the more I think about it the more problems I find.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-08-12 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-08-12, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fail to see how the CGI was "pretty bad".
Old 06-08-12, 12:08 PM
Banned by request

In the abortion scene, her cut up abdomen looked ridiculous. The CGI engineer did not mesh well with the guy in the suit engineer. That's two examples.
Old 06-08-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Now that more people have seen it, I'm going to get into some detail about what I thought were problems (spoilered for length and content and so people sick of hearing me whining don't have to look at it):

Spoiler:
Scene 1. Directed panspermia. Does this create all life on Earth or only human life? If it's the former, how could the Engineers have accounted for the mass extinction events that go on through Earth's history? Did they cause those events? Why bother? If it's the latter, how could we be so closely related to the great apes?

Shaw and Holloway are boring and obnoxious, respectively. The basic premise is exactly the same as AvP.

Prometheus has a crew of 17. That's too many people for a movie like this. Alien had 7 characters and you cared about all of them. Prometheus has 17+ and you care about maybe two of them.

Case in point, crew wakes up, one guy introduces himself to another as "the biologist." He has a name, but we won't remember it. The other guy angrily tells him to sod off. Great character development, guys.

Vickers is really antagonistic to Shaw and Holloway. I'm sure this will be important later, right? Not really.

The team goes in and Holloway takes off his helmet. The air is like earth's in the structure, but we have no clue if there are, oh I don't know, airborne viruses? Holloway is a jackass and so is everyone else for following his lead.

Geologist guy freaks out and starts shouting about big dead bodies. Why? Because it feels dramatic. It's not. It's melodramatic and stupid.

Holloway manages to unleash what look like earthworms. Why would earthworms be on the soles of the boots of a suit designed for space travel? I highly doubt people were running around in those boots outside on earth soil before putting them on the ship.

Back on the ship, we see the Engineer's head. Shaw, like any good scientist, runs a rigorous set of tests and is careful to preserve the specimen. Oh no wait she jams a needle in its neck and runs an electric current through it. Really?

The biologist and the geologist get lost even though they have arm bands with readouts of the map. Uhm.

Vickers and Elba sleep together. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait, it's not.

David purposefully infects Holloway for seemingly no reason. Maybe he does it because Holloway is an unrepentant jackass, in which case, fine with me. But there's no other good explanation for it.

Shaw casually declares she can't have kids. But she has her faith! This is not character development, it's character telegraphing.

Oh, don't get me started on the Engineer's DNA being the same as ours. Similar to ours? That I would buy. Identical to ours? Fuck you, writers. Do you see any humans that are 9 feet tall, white as bone, with black eyes and massive strength? No, I didn't think so.

Biologist and geologist get scared of a pile of dead bodies and run back to the room that made them so scared the first time that they ran away and got lost. Mutated earthworm shows up and the biologist, now encountering alien life for the first time, treats it like a bunny rabbit. I think any biologist worth his salt would know not to touch strange lifeforms and observe them from a reasonable distance. But no, let's touch the damn thing and SURPRISE it kills them.

Holloway sees he's sick, says nothing, goes out with the expedition anyway. What a douchebag.

They get back to the structure only to have to leave immediately because Holloway is sick. Who structured this plot?

The white snake thing leaps out of the biologist's mouth. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait it's not.

David appears to have expected Shaw to be pregnant with an alien. How could he have foresee Holloway would sleep with her? Why is he interested in a mutant hybrid alien baby? Does this sound like Alien: Resurrection to anyone else?

The CGI in the abortion sequence is awful. The baby looks like a squid. Gone are the elegant creature designs of Giger.

Zombie geologist shows up and kills people. Why? Why not? Does this advance the plot? No. Does it add character development? No. The geologist looks like a reject from The Walking Dead TV series. Who thought this shit up?

Weyland is woken up, has meaningful conversation. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait it's not.

Vickers calls him "father" pointedly. Is she a robot? I guess we'll find out later (no we won't).

They wake up the engineer, finally an answer to our questions! Nope, Engineer goes "Hulk Smash" over everyone for no reason except that the writers couldn't think of an answer to anything.

Let's make a big deal of Vickers gearing up to escape just in time. I'm sure she'll play a major role in the last ten minutes. Nope, she's crushed by a spaceship in one of the dumbest scenes I've seen in a film in a long time. A large, but thin, object is crashing toward her. She keeps running right in the path of the ship. Why not make a 90 degree turn and run away from it that way? Shaw manages to ROLL away from it while Vickers can't make it out alive. Who was Vickers? Was she a robot? Turns out it doesn't matter because fuck you that's why.

Baby hybrid becomes big ass hybrid. Shaw lets White Hulk and Lotus Flower duke it out in a scene with awful CGI. The full grown hybrid is uglier and messier than the baby. Where are Giger's designs when you need them?

What appears to be a fully grown Proto-Xenomorph bursts out of the engineer. The design is a cruel mockery of Giger's original. The CGI is again pretty bad. Is this film suggesting that the Xenomorphs, described in the original film by Ash as the perfect killing machines, were born by accident because of the events of this film? Not only that, but they somehow get from this moon to the next moon over? Was there no one on staff asking these questions?

Every monster is shown in full light with no hidden elements. The mystery is gone. Take that, Alien!

That's just off the top of my head but as you can see my list of complaints is long and the more I think about it the more problems I find.
I actually enjoyed it for most of the reasons you hated it. I like movies that doesn't overly explain.

Spoiler:
I think David was developing emotions that's why he poisoned the dude. He even has a smirk before they go back to the Space Jockey's ship. I think that was his first emotional expression throughout the whole movie.
Old 06-08-12, 12:18 PM

I agree with matrixrok9, I enjoyed the film for the reasons you didn't as well. As for the CGI, I don't agree. I though it was very well done.

Last edited by macnorton; 06-08-12 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-08-12, 12:27 PM
Banned by request

You guys enjoyed the movie for the poor scripting and idiot characters?
Old 06-08-12, 12:33 PM

Yes, is that a problem?
Old 06-08-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Saw it last night at The Dome.

I loved it. The visual fx and cinematography were outstanding. I think the mixed reviews are what they are, because this is not standard horror fare. The first film was routine, but had never been presented in that way before.

Prometheus has so many layers that one has to peel off. I think the majority of the haters wanted the template of Alien over to Prometheus. They're sorely mistaken if they think it's anything like Alien.
Old 06-08-12, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Saw it last night at The Dome.

I loved it. The visual fx and cinematography were outstanding. I think the mixed reviews are what they are, because this is not standard horror fare. The first film was routine, but had never been presented in that way before.

Prometheus has so many layers that one has to peel off. I think the majority of the haters wanted the template of Alien over to Prometheus. They're sorely mistaken if they think it's anything like Alien.
Great summation. The film was never going to live up to the hype for a lot of people. Ultimately, they were let down.

Not to say their opinions aren't valid, I personally did not agree with a lot of them.
Old 06-08-12, 12:44 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by anomynous
Yes, is that a problem?
A problem? No. Just mystifying to me.
Old 06-08-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys enjoyed the movie for the poor scripting and idiot characters?
HELL YEAH!

*Raise hands up*
Old 06-08-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also CG to me looked fine.
Old 06-08-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the majority of the haters wanted the template of Alien over to Prometheus. They're sorely mistaken if they think it's anything like Alien.
I had the opposite problem. I went in hoping for a unique and intelligent sci-fi mystery/adventure and ended up getting Aliens-lite. Except it was significantly dumber than the first three Alien films.

I was actually enjoying the film quite a lot for the first 40 or minutes or so, and then:
Spoiler:
the two idiots return to the room that they ran away from in the first place and try to pet the freaky alien snake thing
and the film just became routine after that. Too many stupid character decisions and too many pointless action scenes (seemingly to compensate for the writers' lack of ideas after a great setup.)

I was also pissed by the stuff with the engineer:
Spoiler:
I usually dislike plot dumps, but I would have preferred one there vs. the writers' "We don't know what's going on either so we're just going to have him kill everyone instead of giving us any information" that we got.
Ambiguity is great - in fact, I was hoping this would be a film that would convey a strong sense of mystery and awe (as one would expect from a film about the origins of life and ancient alien civilizations.) And I understand that a big budget film like this has to make some concessions for mass audiences - but it was pretty clear that the writers simply didn't know what was going on and hoped we would be satisfied with a bunch of random stuff instead (hey, reminds me of Lost.)

There's a difference between being ambiguous/leaving things up to interpretation and simply throwing in a bunch of random shit and hoping that it seems "deep."
Old 06-08-12, 01:19 PM
Banned

A problem? No. Just mystifying to me.
People don't always (In fact, I'd say they almost never...) make the smartest decisions. Just check out any thread in Otter for proof of this.

I've always failed to understand how characters not making the absolute smartest decision in a given situation is an actual valid criticism.
Old 06-08-12, 01:24 PM
Banned by request

If there were one or two bad decisions, fine. If everyone consistently makes the worst decisions, I don't buy it.
Old 06-08-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back, and I enjoyed it. Glad I saw it at a faux-imax screen, because that really does help with the enormity of the ships. I also didn't mind the 3d. I wouldn't have paid to see it in 3d if that wasn't the only screening that would work for my schedule, so I bit the bullet, and I wasn't let down. Usually the 3d doesn't look good to me when a movie is chaotic (the Spidey trailer in 3d looked awful to me), but because Prometheus is a slower paced movie, I was able to take it all in.

I must say that I didn't really care for the Engineers. I think they looked king of silly, and I don't like how this really alien franchise has become very earth-centric with the retcons of this movie. Maybe they would have been fine, if not for the other creatures in this series, the Aliens proper, being such original and iconic beasts. The Engineers were just super-sized versions of Powder. That took all of the tension out of the confrontations had with it, because of how silly it looked.

It makes me less interested in a potential sequel on the Engineers home-planet, if it deals more with that race, and their planet isn't overun by face-huggers.

Also, who's idea was it to make Idris Elba talk in a southern accent? That shit was so wrong, on so many levels.

That stuff aside, it was a pretty looking movie, that I really enjoyed losing myself in for a couple of hours. It definitely has some problems, but none of them bothered me while watching. There are a lot of questions swirling around in my head, especially about the ending, that I'm sure will be discussed into the ground by nerds of this franchise like myself.

I do have one question, though, about the ending.

Spoiler:
At first I thought the hero Engineer in this movie was the dead Engineer we saw in Alien. But obviously, they aren't the same, so I'm at a loss as to what that thing was that Shaw gave birth to. At first, I was wondering if we're supposed to think that thing mixed with her DNA, and then mixed with the Engineer, to make the very first Alien, but that doesn't make any sense either. I just don't know what I'm supposed to think that thing was.
Old 06-08-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I'll say that it felt like one of those stories that a person starts a page and people after that add their own. It was a jumbled mess. There was no flow. The only thing I want right now is the same questions Shaw has for the makers, "why?"
Old 06-08-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, not to be that guy, but Noomi Rapace has a KILLER body. Geezus. Tight and right.
Old 06-08-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Also, not to be that guy, but Noomi Rapace has a KILLER body. Geezus. Tight and right.

I fucking love this post.
Old 06-08-12, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Just got back, and I enjoyed it. Glad I saw it at a faux-imax screen, because that really does help with the enormity of the ships. I also didn't mind the 3d. I wouldn't have paid to see it in 3d if that wasn't the only screening that would work for my schedule, so I bit the bullet, and I wasn't let down. Usually the 3d doesn't look good to me when a movie is chaotic (the Spidey trailer in 3d looked awful to me), but because Prometheus is a slower paced movie, I was able to take it all in.

I must say that I didn't really care for the Engineers. I think they looked king of silly, and I don't like how this really alien franchise has become very earth-centric with the retcons of this movie. Maybe they would have been fine, if not for the other creatures in this series, the Aliens proper, being such original and iconic beasts. The Engineers were just super-sized versions of Powder. That took all of the tension out of the confrontations had with it, because of how silly it looked.

It makes me less interested in a potential sequel on the Engineers home-planet, if it deals more with that race, and their planet isn't overun by face-huggers.

Also, who's idea was it to make Idris Elba talk in a southern accent? That shit was so wrong, on so many levels.

That stuff aside, it was a pretty looking movie, that I really enjoyed losing myself in for a couple of hours. It definitely has some problems, but none of them bothered me while watching. There are a lot of questions swirling around in my head, especially about the ending, that I'm sure will be discussed into the ground by nerds of this franchise like myself.

I do have one question, though, about the ending.

Spoiler:
At first I thought the hero Engineer in this movie was the dead Engineer we saw in Alien. But obviously, they aren't the same, so I'm at a loss as to what that thing was that Shaw gave birth to. At first, I was wondering if we're supposed to think that thing mixed with her DNA, and then mixed with the Engineer, to make the very first Alien, but that doesn't make any sense either. I just don't know what I'm supposed to think that thing was.
Spoiler:
The squid she gave birth to turned into the giant facehugger.....which facehugged the Engineer and created proto-Alien
Old 06-08-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
Spoiler:
The squid she gave birth to turned into the giant facehugger.....which facehugged the Engineer and created proto-Alien
Spoiler:
And is that meant to be the very first alien ever? The mothership alien? The by-product of the engineer and Shaw's "baby" mixing?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.