Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2
^ Yet it is still getting generally good reviews. The biggest issue I see is they try to over-explain the stuff nobody cares about and skimp on the rest.
Whoa. So "Lost" really did spill over into Prometheus?

Ah well, I'm a sucker for that ambiguous, cryptically vague narrative. It does get old. But I think that I can hang on for two hours.
Old 06-04-12, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a free ticket that'll pay for the 3D price. Soooooo...I'm good. If it's merely good..well at least I didn't pay for it.
Old 06-04-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Got a chance to see it tonight while I'm in the UK. I guess I wanted more of the xenomorphs and the explanation of what they are is really vague. Also there are continuity issues that took me out of it in spots. The self sacrifice at the beginning of the movie by the meta-human (for lack of a better word) didn't help and just served to confuse me when it came to David giving some of the liquid to Charles. Was he to evolve at a rapid rate? Was it the introduction of the Xenomorph DNA? There's a lot to play with to make the movie more cohesive, but it comes out a mess.
Old 06-04-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few more positive reviews have pushed it back up to 81% on RT. 48 reviews total.
Old 06-05-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If nothing else this movie looks stunning. The biggest problem is probably the lack of proper characters and the cliched horror movie moments. Plenty to admire though and it's certainly not a let down. Well, not to me anyway..
Old 06-06-12, 03:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought this was almost a complete stinker. Fassbender is exceptional, but the plot is awful. The characters act irrationally, and there are too many of them to begin with. The premise really is exactly the same as AvP, and the end reminded me more of Alien: Resurrection than anything else. Ridley Scott seems to have completely forgotten what made the first film scary, because this movie is big, loud and overly complicated. It has none of the elegance or grace of Alien, and the villain(s) are ridiculous.

I knew this movie wouldn't be as good as Alien, but I'm very disappointed in how badly it turned out. Somebody stop Ridley before he ruins Blade Runner as well.
Old 06-06-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I knew this movie wouldn't be as good as Alien, but I'm very disappointed in how badly it turned out. Somebody stop Ridley before he ruins Blade Runner as well.
You've got a film degree, use it for all it has been helpful for in life so far and make something better.
Old 06-06-12, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

I don't like making movies. That doesn't mean I can't criticize those who do.
Old 06-06-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll see it tomorrow, but do you think there might be salvation in your view with a Director's Cut? Does it feel like there might have been any outside tinkering or that it was meant to be a longer movie?
Old 06-06-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The movie isn't as bad as supermallet is making out. It has its flaws certainly but there are plenty of positives, and I think it ends up in credit overall. It's a fun movie when taken on its own and only really fails completely if your expectations are sky high due to the universe of films (first 2, anyway) it is associated with.
Old 06-06-12, 04:21 PM
Banned by request

I think a director's cut could help aspects of the film, but there are some fundamental storytelling flaws in the film that I can't imagine any director's cut would fix. I could be wrong.

Also there are several instances of absolutely awful CGI that seemed out of place in such a big budget film.
Old 06-06-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
It's a fun movie when taken on its own and only really fails completely if your expectations are sky high due to the universe of films (first 2, anyway) it is associated with.
Well then I'm fucked!
Old 06-06-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And is the 3D quality good?
Old 06-06-12, 04:42 PM
Banned by request

I thought the 3D was well utilized, yes.
Old 06-06-12, 05:20 PM
Banned by request

Oh, and I know I harp on this a lot, but creature design really is in the doldrums these days. Prometheus uses a lot of Giger-inspired stuff for the ship (and obviously the space jockeys are taken straight from Alien), but when they introduce new elements, they look like the same crappy JJ Abrams-inspired junk we've seen far too much of lately.
Old 06-06-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think JJ Abrams stuff was junk. It wasn't top of heap, but it wasn't junk.

I think the key to this will be keeping my expectations modest and just enjoying it for what it is, not what I thought it might be.
Old 06-06-12, 05:50 PM
Banned by request

The JJ Abrams school of creature design is "everything and the kitchen sink". His style of creatures have an uncountable amount of appendages, eyes, and openings. There are no lines to draw the eye, as these creatures are masses of conflicting movement. There's no grace, no sense of aesthetics. Compare that to the Xenomorph or even the Predator and it's no contest. Why anyone would make a movie in the Alien universe and not use Giger-style designs for the creatures is beyond me.

It's even more incongruous because all of the architectural designs are 100% out of the Giger playbook, and upon looking it up it appears that Giger did do some building designs for the film (which is probably why some of the stuff looks like it was re-used from Giger's old designs for Jodorowsky's production of Dune that never got off the ground).

Edit: And apparently the creature designer, Neville Page, was also the creature designer for Super 8.
Old 06-06-12, 06:40 PM
Banned by request

Okay, after thinking about it, this is how I think Prometheus could have been a good, nay, a great film (only read if you've seen the movie):

Spoiler:
Forget Shaw and the other archaeologist. They add absolutely nothing to the movie. Make this an Oedipus/Elektra story with David and Meredith. Weyland is dying, he doesn't have faith that Meredith has what it takes to follow in his footsteps. He adores David, but David is a robot and can't take over the company. Meredith is desperate to gain Weyland's approval, whereas David is more concerned about proving that he is superior to his "father," although he masks his true intentions. Meredith suggests the expedition when scientists discover evidence of a technologically advanced race in another star system. They go with the express intention of learning the alien secrets to prolong Weyland's life, although David secretly has plans to foil the mission so as to ensure Weyland dies and knows that it's David's doing.

Drop most of the faceless crew. Keep Idris Elba and develop his relationship with Meredith. Make her the focus of the film, as she's way more interesting than Shaw, who shouldn't even be in the movie. You can have Idris Elba's character being the one who pushes the questions about the origins of life, give his character more depth. I'd rather have four or five characters I cared a lot about rather than 12 I didn't give two shits about.

Also have them establish a base camp inside the alien structure. Going back and forth to and from the ship kills the momentum. Keep the Engineers as aliens. Have them be fused with the ship and specialized in their function. They should be biomechanical. Have them actually be working on creating the Xenomorphs, not this generic black goo that makes random aggressive mutations. And the end of the film should be the Xenomorph bursting out of the chest of the Engineer in the chair, not in some escape pod on another planet.

Those are just some thoughts that I think would have made a vastly better film.
Old 06-06-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Giger given any credit, since they took so much from him?
Old 06-06-12, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Is Giger given any credit, since they took so much from him?
Yes.
Old 06-06-12, 07:59 PM
Banned by request

From what I read, Giger did do some mural and building designs from the film, plus his designs for the Space Jockey ship is re-used in its entirety, so yes, he gets credit.
Old 06-07-12, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
The space jockeys are mostly new though since we haven't seen them without their helmets and suits on up to this point.

It's frustrating that many things could have been improved about this movie, though at the same time there are still plenty of impressive moments and nice little ideas. Flawed certainly, but better than Sunshine - which had the same oriental fella in it.
Old 06-07-12, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Also there are several instances of absolutely awful CGI that seemed out of place in such a big budget film.
Well that's just the way it is today. Aside from the Transformers movies most big budget Hollywood flicks seem to have really shoddy CGI in places.
Old 06-07-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Well Ebert loved it, gave it 4 out of 4 stars. That makes me feel a little better.
Old 06-07-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This little blurb from Ty Burr of the Boston Globe was pretty funny.

"Watching "Prometheus" is like opening a deluxe gift box from Tiffany's to find a mug from the dollar store."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.