Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How accurate is this post regarding Edward Norton?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading several people comment on why Edward Norton's career has seemingly fizzled out. I know we'll see him in the upcoming Bourne Legacy, but he seriously seemed to have fell off the face of the earth compared to a few years ago when he was on his way to being a super star.

Norton is one of my favorite actors and I really enjoy most of his movies. But the following post was made from someone on another forum and I'm just wondering if it's true. Here's the quote:

I know people who worked with him. The guy is an insufferable
a$$hole on set and was a genuine pest to the rest of the crew.

Norton has a history of taking over projects to the point where he
would be re-editing whole scenes of a movie to simply make himself
look better.

Had he of worked on "The Avengers", he would of demanded
for Downey Jr's "Ironman" scenes get cut and for pretty much
every single frame shot of him as "Bruce Banner" get put
into the flick.

Hollywood won't say it, but the truth is: Nobody wants to work
with the "Dennis Rodman" of films.

Give it about 5-8+ years when Norton drops out of "Leading man"
status, and he'll wisen up, confess that he was terrible to a lot
of people: and get back to making good movies.

It's just a serious waste of talent seeing Norton's career like this...but
he's done it to himself.
Quite a shame if true
Old 05-29-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Re: How accurate is this post regarding Edward Norton?

Did Alan Smithee Humpty Dumpty write that?
Old 05-29-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Norton has a long history of being "difficult". He's a regular Val Kilmer, and look where the former Batman is now.

Marvel's President Kevin Feige on why Norton wasn't in The Avengers:
We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks.
Old 05-29-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

apparantly he had a ball working on Moonrise Kingdom. I read someowhere that the cast all stayed in a rented cabin in the woods, and even ate and spent free time with each other. Working with Wes was probably the best thing he could have done for his career, because too many people have had problems working with him for anyone not to believe Norton is the problem. Very talented for sure, but his career skyrocketed so fast, his ego had to be on cloud 9. Unfortuanately for moviegoers, we don't see him in many projects (decent).
Old 05-29-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I hope Ryan Gosling doesn't follow the same path as Norton. They seem very similar in quite a few ways.
Old 05-29-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Norton has a long history of being "difficult". He's a regular Val Kilmer, and look where the former Batman is now.

Quote:
We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks.

Marvel's President Kevin Feige on why Norton wasn't in The Avengers:
I can't wait to see who it is! Oh, wait ...
Old 05-29-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
apparantly he had a ball working on Moonrise Kingdom. I read someowhere that the cast all stayed in a rented cabin in the woods, and even ate and spent free time with each other. Working with Wes was probably the best thing he could have done for his career, because too many people have had problems working with him for anyone not to believe Norton is the problem. Very talented for sure, but his career skyrocketed so fast, his ego had to be on cloud 9. Unfortuanately for moviegoers, we don't see him in many projects (decent).
Has he ever really been an "A-lister"? Don't get me wrong, he has been in some great films and I think he is a fantastic actor, but I don't recall anybody ever saying "I can't wait to see the new Ed Norton flick!" I can't recall any previews that open with "Ed Norton is ... "
Old 05-29-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I hope Ryan Gosling doesn't follow the same path as Norton. They seem very similar in quite a few ways.
Where are their parallels?
Old 05-30-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought this was already widely known? He's a prick. He's a talented prick, but a prick nonetheless. He took over American History X from Tony Kaye. He's got script authority written into his contract meaning that he can change anything in the story that he doesn't like. He clashed with Letterier in the Incredible Hulk movie, too.

It's hubris, baby.
Old 05-30-12, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it's a shame he seems to be difficult to work with, though he's been in some great movies and delivered more than a few stellar performances.

He certainly has phoned in several performances (The Italian Job, Red Dragon, Pride and Glory, The Incredible Hulk) but was also brilliant in and around the same period in The Painted Veil and The Illusionist.

Norton was the best thing about The Score and delivered the goods in Down in The Valley, Leaves of Grass and the underrated Stone.

Add to that....Primal Fear, The People vs. Larry Flynt, American History X, Fight Club and The 25th Hour and he cements his place at the top of the list of the best actors of his generation.

I'm thinking he's not finished just yet.
Old 05-30-12, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
It's encouraging that he's working again with Nicholas Winding Refn and Derek Cianfrance. If he was a jerk, they wouldn't come back for more.
Old 05-30-12, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Yeah it's a shame he seems to be difficult to work with, though he's been in some great movies and delivered more than a few stellar performances.

He certainly has phoned in several performances (The Italian Job, Red Dragon, Pride and Glory, The Incredible Hulk) but was also brilliant in and around the same period in The Painted Veil and The Illusionist.

Norton was the best thing about The Score and delivered the goods in Down in The Valley, Leaves of Grass and the underrated Stone.

Add to that....Primal Fear, The People vs. Larry Flynt, American History X, Fight Club and The 25th Hour and he cements his place at the top of the list of the best actors of his generation.

I'm thinking he's not finished just yet.
don't forget DEATH TO SMOOCHY!
Old 05-30-12, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I've read other people bring up the Gosling/Norton comparisons. But let's be honest, Norton runs circles around him. Gosling is a good actor but Norton is an exceptional one.
Old 05-30-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I thought this was already widely known? He's a prick. He's a talented prick, but a prick nonetheless. He took over American History X from Tony Kaye. He's got script authority written into his contract meaning that he can change anything in the story that he doesn't like. He clashed with Letterier in the Incredible Hulk movie, too.

It's hubris, baby.
I've heard the same thing for years. I can't post links or anything specific, but I vaguely remember reading on a few occasions how much of a dick he was. Not so much to the cast and crew, but on pushing HIS vision.
Old 05-30-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't he get into a big fight with Paramount around the time of The Italian Job? I think he had a contract with them for a few movies and after Italian he didn't want to fulfill it.
Old 05-30-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I think he is a fantastic actor, but I don't recall anybody ever saying "I can't wait to see the new Ed Norton flick!"
You would have around the year 1999.
Old 05-30-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
He certainly has phoned in several performances (The Italian Job, Red Dragon, Pride and Glory, The Incredible Hulk)
Can't argue with Italian Job but I hardly thought he was phoning it in for TIH...

Originally Posted by sauce07
Didn't he get into a big fight with Paramount around the time of The Italian Job? I think he had a contract with them for a few movies and after Italian he didn't want to fulfill it.
Yeah, I seem to recall reading the same thing and you can see he couldn't give a rat's ass in that performance.
Old 05-30-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07

It was actually for The Italian Job. That was his last flick for them on contract.
Old 05-30-12, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe he'll wise up as he gets older. Dustin Hoffman did.
Old 05-30-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

He doesn't work well with Hollywood movies, but seems to thrive with the indie set/working with known directors. He seems to be one of those actors that while working with some directors thinks he knows better (Leterrier, Ratner), but that doesn't come out with other, name directors (Spike Lee, Wes Anderson, David Fincher)

I remember Salma Hayek (his ex) came out and basically called him a little bitch at one point.
Old 05-30-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
He doesn't work well with Hollywood movies, but seems to thrive with the indie set/working with known directors. He seems to be one of those actors that while working with some directors thinks he knows better (Leterrier, Ratner), but that doesn't come out with other, name directors (Spike Lee, Wes Anderson, David Fincher)

I remember Salma Hayek (his ex) came out and basically called him a little bitch at one point.
This I never heard of, but do know he helped her with the re-writes on Frida and his small role in that film, too.
Old 05-30-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

If he's such a control freak, why doesn't he direct himself? Or has he tried that and failed?
Old 05-30-12, 09:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

He directed the Jenna Elfman vehicle Keeping the Faith back in 2000 and it was terrible.
Old 05-30-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
He directed the Jenna Elfman vehicle Keeping the Faith back in 2000 and it was terrible.
That's what I heard. Never saw it, but did mention it in that thread that someone started about directors and their one movie and never directed anything again. Norton fits that bill.
Old 05-30-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This I never heard of, but do know he helped her with the re-writes on Frida and his small role in that film, too.
It was more implied, right around their break up she went off on needing a real man with bigger balls than her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.