Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance -- The 9th Season Thread -- Only 1 show per week now!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So You Think You Can Dance -- The 9th Season Thread -- Only 1 show per week now!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-05-24

Season 9 starts tonight.

INSPIRED DANCING CONTINUES ON THE NINTH SEASON PREMIERE OF "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" THURSDAY, MAY 24, ON FOX

Series Moves To Its Regular Wednesday 8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT Timeslot beginning, May 30

The pursuit of "America's Favorite Dancer" begins tonight on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE! Watch what happens when the most talented dancers - skilled in everything from Ballroom and Ballet to Salsa, Jive, Hip Hop and Krumping - all compete for a prized spot on the live shows. See who impresses the judges and who trips up in the "Auditions #1 and #2: Dallas and New York" two-hour season premiere episode of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE airing on a special night, Thursday, May 24 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (DAN-901) (TV-PG D, L)

Host: Cat Deeley

Judges: Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy

Read more: Listings - SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1vq8hHsQD

Tonight through June 20th are auditions and Vegas week. FOX has cut the fat and also cancelled the results show. It's 1 show per week and the results will be revealed the same week now during the performance show.

I've missed the last 2 seasons because I had trouble keeping up with 3-4 hours of shows per week. I'm going to make an effort to watch season 9 now that it's only 1 episode per week.
Old 05-24-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance -- The 9th Season Thread -- Only 1 show per week now!

That exorcist dance was freakin amazing!
Old 05-25-12, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance -- The 9th Season Thread -- Only 1 show per week now!

Originally Posted by sinned
That exorcist dance was freakin amazing!
He wasn't kidding, I genuinely felt cleansed after that dance! It was mesmerizing!!!
Old 05-25-12, 11:51 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

seems like it's been ages since there has been a series, ditto for Hell's kitchen

There were some great performances in this episode
Old 05-26-12, 07:05 PM

I also hope they have some good Ballroom dancers on the show this season
Old 05-27-12, 07:26 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Disappointing that they didn't showcase any outstanding girls in the first episode. The best dances were all from men. Hmm, I guess the 29 year old mom was decent, but the dance was interrupted by her son.
Old 05-29-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Just finished watching the premiere today.

Yeah I agree with Perry, the women were more of an afterthought. They did show alot of good male dancers.

I'm actually surprised that the Producers, including Nigel let that idiot Von audition. That guy was the epitome of dickhead with a bad attitude. I've seen so many better B-Boys than him who don't have shitty attitude and a mouth. I know they probably wanted to stir the pot with a little controversy, but the guy didn't even really want to fucking audition. So don't waste the viewers time with his smug ass.

I liked the 29 year old Mom and normally I don't gush over stuff like that, but her daughter was fricking cute as hell. I loved it when they let her dance on stage. She's 2 years old!!

I was disappointed the Red headed Japanese guy quit before the chereography. I liked his moves and how quirky he was.

So glad this is only 1 episode per week. Hopefully I can keep up with it this summer.
Old 05-31-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad to hear they're cutting back to once a week. It was just too long before, but once a week is good. Glad it's back!
Old 06-01-12, 08:02 AM

I liked 70s whacker guy, shame he didnt get through

All of the stand out dancers have been of exactly the same style which is gonna suck

Way too much of the show was spent on those gay twins

Last edited by Original Desmond; 06-01-12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-01-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How dare you assume they were gay? Based on what? Some shallow stereotype?

Just kidding...they were super gay.
Old 06-01-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been enjoying the audition episodes, really neat stuff on display, plus that girl Sam (whose mom kicked her to the curb) has amazing brown eyes.
Old 06-01-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well they certainly showcased the girls this episode!
Old 06-02-12, 05:52 AM
Political Exile

I watched my DVRd episode last night, and wow! As mediocre as the first episode was, this second episode was outstanding. Gorgeous, athletic women, one after the other, throughout the show. Loved the girl that had the backstory about being a pole dancer! I didn't care for the flakey ballet guy, and am not crazy about these professional ballet performers coming out for the show and doing straight ballet moves as their tryout, I understand that most of these dancers are ballet trained, but the jump scissor kick over and over is really boring.

Last edited by PerryD; 06-02-12 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-02-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Impressive dancing (0:36)! I wish that they would make that style of dance a standard on the show, and she has my vote!
Old 06-05-12, 11:02 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Week 1... meh.

Week 2... WOW!

Bring on Week 3!
Old 06-09-12, 02:58 PM
Political Exile

Just watched my DVR copy of week 3, not as good as week 2, but still very good. I like that they don't waste time on the bad dancers anymore. I really liked the first dancer, but I can't find a youtube clip of her yet. Belly dancer very nice. And the three hip hop roommates were fun to watch.

Another good one:
Old 06-09-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

I thought the third week was terrific. Not a lot of fat, and a lot of great performances. The "Dragon House" guys (especially "Glitch") stole the show with their Hip Hop, but there several excellent contemporary dancers. Of course, I have to wonder if the Hip Hop guys, -who went straight to Vegas without having to prove themselves in Choreography, -can handle other styles. there have also been so many really attractive girls who just happen to be excellent dancers, -you've got to wonder how many of them will actually make the cut, or just turn to vapor during the Vegas Call-Backs.
Old 06-10-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched the last 2 episodes back to back last night.

Agree with alot of what has been said. Alot of really stellar dancers.

Really enjoyed the LA auditions. I felt really bad for that young girl who was thrown out by her Mom and is living with her friend. She was pretty good and glad that Nigel and them gave her a chance.

The 2 Gay brothers (I assume they are?) were hilarious. But, why waste everyone's time and audition when they were already over the age limit? I know this show allows people to do that occassionally, but still. Waste of time.

I liked the Asian guy who mixed some martial arts into his routine.

The Atlanta auditions were also good. The girl who likes bacon, the belly dancer, Courtney Kirby (the girl above with the grandma) were solid. I liked the 3 roommates, but I don't get their logic on how they handle hip-hop and B-Boy dancers. Some go to Vegas right away and others are forced to go to chereography where they tank.

And can I say again how better the show is only 1 day per week. Less fat, more talent.

Also, does anyone think Mary Murphy looks a little strange this season? All that botox she injects into her face is making it look really puffy.
Old 06-10-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Gay Bros were entertaining, made me laugh, so I didn't mind their inclusion in the auditions.

If they never showed any of the over-aged contestants, we'd never have gotten that viral hit, "Pants on the Ground." from American Idol. Haha.

The thick-legged girl contestants kinda freak me out, prefer more of a Katie, Kathryn or Chelsie body-type, not the Melanie or Courtney Kirby type. I guess the thicker legs gives them more power and propulsion, but aesthetically, not my preference.
Old 06-10-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
Another good one:

(Courtney Kirby)
I liked the clip and the grandmother.

As for Courtney - she has the athletic ability but is still a little rough around the edges. I don't think that she will make the Top 20.
Old 06-10-12, 04:01 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Heat
I liked the clip and the grandmother.

As for Courtney - she has the athletic ability but is still a little rough around the edges. I don't think that she will make the Top 20.
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm easily enamored by the attractive athletic women on this show, that I can live with some lack of polish.

I found a video link for the first dancer of this week's episode. For some reason, it wouldn't show up in a search on my iPad. It appears to be disabled for mobile and iPad viewing.

I love the move just after the 2 minute mark (2:10) where she does a sideways split and rocks her head down and up.
Old 06-10-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang - Fox has changed how they handle TV episodes at their website ( www.fox.com/dance ). Now you have to wait two or three weeks to see the episode, unless you are a subscriber of a "participating TV provider" which is Dish Network or Verizon (I don't have cable or satellite).

I can see Episode 1 but based on the reviews here Episode 1 stunk, so I will be skipping it. I can probably catch Episode 2 starting Thursday, and I suppose I can start watching the show live on Wednesdays.
Old 06-12-12, 08:01 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, does anyone think Mary Murphy looks a little strange this season? All that botox she injects into her face is making it look really puffy.
I was thinking she looks 'off' this season as well, like she's suddenly aged 10 years since last season.
Old 06-14-12, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably had higher expectations than usual for the Utah auditions, but I didn't really find too much to get excited about, except for a few contestants.
Old 06-22-12, 10:36 PM

Vegas week was cool, i hope Cyrus and at least one of the ballroom girls makes the show

You can only have so many classically trained dancers

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.