Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Verily, Behold! The Third Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Be Upon Us!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

So, uh, I kinda dropped the ball and we only have about a week before this one gets underway. Looking through last year's discussion thread, I don't really see much in the way of suggestions or requests for changes from last year, so my proposal is to re-use last year's checklist. We've got a week, though, so anyone who has any thoughts: now is the time to speak up! We're all-inclusive here, so if you've thought of something new or maybe you're new to the challenge, I'd love to have your ideas.

In a nutshell, here are the basics:
  • This challenge will run from 12:01 AM 1 June until 11:59 PM 30 June.
  • Movies and TV content specifically about a historical figure, event or period are eligible.
  • 2 hours TV content (based upon broadcast, not run, time) = 1 entry

The initial premise was to combine War and Western challenges, and those are the primary focuses here. You're welcome to expand to include biographies, documentaries, even "costume dramas."

Regarding specific films, I would suggest--and this goes for any questions--that you ask about a specific film in the discussion thread and see what feedback you get from others who have seen it. If you don't get anything helpful, I would say if you feel that you have a sufficient reason to believe that it's an appropriate selection then go ahead and watch it. If it turns out not to really fit the nature of this challenge, go ahead and share those thoughts with us.

Lastly, many of the films at the heart of this challenge have considerable run times, so even though there's always a sort of de facto goal of hitting 100 movies watched, it's not really expected here. We'd much rather you take this opportunity to finally see Lawrence of Arabia than to squeeze in two shorter films.

Check List
Spoiler:

GENERAL
--- Recreation of a specific Historical Event (like Apollo 13)
--- Sports film
--- Bio Pic
--- Documentary
--- Folk Hero/Mythological (Robin Hood, Greek gods, etc.)
--- Judeo-Christian (based on stories from the Torah, Mishna, New Testament, etc.)
--- Non-Judeo-Christian religion (may be about an individual holy person, like Kundun)
--- Film about Women's History (prominent woman, feminism, etc.)
--- Film about minority rights (prominent minority figure, civil rights, etc.)
--- Film about LGBT rights (prominent LGBT figure, gay rights, etc.)
--- Zeitgeist Film (movie that captures the spirit of a specific setting)

DECADES - Watch a film set--but not produced--during five different decades no more recent than the 1980s:
--- Movie 1 (Decade)
--- Movie 2 (Decade)
--- Movie 3 (Decade)
--- Movie 4 (Decade)
--- Movie 5 (Decade)

Watch a film that takes place during five different centuries prior to the 20th Century (Note Century of setting):
--- Movie 1 (Century)
--- Movie 2 (Century)
--- Movie 3 (Century)
--- Movie 4 (Century)
--- Movie 5 (Century)

Watch 5 movies about historical events of different countries (Note Country of setting).
--- Movie 1 (Country)
--- Movie 2 (Country)
--- Movie 3 (Country)
--- Movie 4 (Country)
--- Movie 5 (Country)

BIO PICS
--- Bio Pic of a War participant
--- Bio Pic of a Historical Person
--- Watch a Western Bio Pic
--- Watch a Sports or Humanities Bio Pic
--- Watch a Bio Pic about a prominent woman, minority or LGBT figure

Watch a Documentary from each of the following (may be as general or specific as you prefer):
--- War
--- Western
--- Historical Event
--- Biographical
--- Sports or Humanities (Miracle on Ice, Frida, etc.; lots of range here!)

WAR
Watch 5 movies that take place during different American wars. (Civil War, World Wars I or II, Viet Nam, etc.)
--- Movie 1
--- Movie 2
--- Movie 3
--- Movie 4
--- Movie 5

Watch 5 movies that take place during different countries' wars (Trojan War, Crusades, the Anglo-Zulu wars, etc.)
--- Movie 1
--- Movie 2
--- Movie 3
--- Movie 4
--- Movie 5

WESTERN
--- John Ford Western
--- John Wayne Western
--- "Singing Cowboy" Western
--- Clint Eastwood Western
--- Spaghetti Western (not starring Clint Eastwood)
--- Comedy Western (may be spoof, parody or just humorous)
--- Western based on a novel
--- Western told from perspective of Native Americans
--- Western told from perspective of Outlaws
--- Western about cross-country travel (wagon train, cattle drive, etc.)

Wild Cards (3 max): The checklist is pretty generous, so be very selective about what you use here.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 05-27-12 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added "Zeitgeist Film" to the General Checklist because Doc Moonlight is a terrorist.
Old 05-24-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Verily, Behold! The Third Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Be Upon Us!

Online Resources

These aren't necessarily "safe" lists (though most should be fine), but these should all prove helpful to participants as they seek to explore the themes of this challenge.

Crackle - Free Streaming!
Biography
Documentary
Historical Films
War Films
Western Films

The Criterion Collection
Made During World War II
War Films

Flickchart
Letterboxd

The History Channel
TV Schedule, 1-7 June

I Check Movies
IMDb - Biography
IMDb - History
IMDb - War
IMDb - Western
100 Essential Westerns
Spaghetti Westerns

YouTube - Free Movies

Mubi
Biopic Movies
Historical Movies
War Movies

Free Streaming Movies
In the Year of the Pig
Messenger of the Great River
Remote Transmissions
Zero Silence

Netflix Watch Instantly
Art & Design (Good for Humanities selections!)
Biographies
Classic War Stories
Classic Westerns
Documentary
Epics
Faith & Spirituality Documentaries
Foreign Action & Adventure
Judaica
Military & War Action
Military & War Drama
Westerns
Old 05-24-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Verily, Behold! The Third Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Be Upon Us!

I have tons of period gangster, westerns, kung fu (old China) and sword 'n' sandal left over from the Action/Adventure/Crime and B-Movie challenges--plus actual historical epics and fact-based war movies. I'll be busy.
Old 05-24-12, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I participated in last year's challenge and was surprised as to how much I enjoyed it since it really took me out of my comfort zone. Sadly in my personal collection I don't have that many titles that I could use for the challenge so I ended up renting most of the movies watched.
Even so, I believe I'm in this year as well if only to see Lawrence of Arabia, which I've never seen all the way through!
Old 05-24-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have tons of period gangster, westerns, kung fu (old China) and sword 'n' sandal left over from the Action/Adventure/Crime and B-Movie challenges--plus actual historical epics and fact-based war movies. I'll be busy.
Sword and Sandal? If that is eligible I have many movies in my MC Warriors collection that I never watched during the B Movie challenge
Old 05-24-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I have *several* documentary sets I purchased for last year but ran out of time. Not to mention dozens of westerns I've stockpiled over the past year waiting for this challenge! Heck... I just ordered a couple of westerns from Timeless that qualify for both my theme in the MYO *and* this one. Once again, I have too much content to squeeze in and some tough decisions to make as to just which ones will get a viewing!
Old 05-25-12, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Sword and Sandal? If that is eligible I have many movies in my MC Warriors collection that I never watched during the B Movie challenge
Well, since this is an item in the checklist:

--- Folk Hero/Mythological (Robin Hood, Greek gods, etc.)
...I figure that anything with Hercules, Samson, Goliath, Achilles, Helen of Troy, etc. is eligible.
Old 05-25-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably take part and watch a few Criterions, though I'll be away for a big chunk of the month.
Old 05-25-12, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Glad to have you back MLS!

I'll be doing a few documentaries with the wifey this time. Maybe a dozen if it rains a lot on my work days.
Old 05-25-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm excited to participate! I'm in the midst of taking a summer French course, and watching films has become something of a release for me. There's nothing like escaping into a good story after hours of translation and reviewing verb tenses.
Old 05-25-12, 03:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm really looking forward to this challenge too. I'll probably start out with a week or so of war movies then move to mainly westerns. I plan to finally dig into The Films of Budd Boetticher among other things.
Old 05-25-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm starting off with:
Hondo
Ride Lonesome
Comanche Station
Shenandoah
The Professionals
Hombre
The Shooting
Will Penny
Support Your Local Sheriff!
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Bad Company
Jeremiah Johnson
Ulzana's Raid
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
The Long Riders
Pale Rider
The Last of the Mohicans
Open Range
Yellow Sky

After that I'm pretty much going with my mood.
Old 05-26-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to see a Musical added to the checklist (there was some discussion of this last year), as well as a Contemporary western ("Lonely Are The Brave", "Coogan's Bluff", "Junior Bonner", etc.).

I'll also repeat my annual argument for the inclusion of "Zeitgeist" films, contemporary films that capture a moment in time ("Rebel Without a Cause", "Saturday Night Fever", etc.). Yes, I understand that these are covered by the Wild Card, but for me, the term "Wild Card" carries a certain stigma of "yeah, OK, we'll let it slide" of not really belonging, while I think these films should be front and center. I agree they shouldn't dominate the challenge, but on the other hand, they shouldn't be considered the bastard sons of the Challenge. either.
Old 05-26-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
I'm really looking forward to this challenge too. I'll probably start out with a week or so of war movies then move to mainly westerns. I plan to finally dig into The Films of Budd Boetticher among other things.
I cracked open my Boetticher for the B-Movie challenge and watched a couple. For this challenge, I'll probably watch some of the items that seemed too high-end for that one, like The Magnificent Seven. Several of Mister Peepers' items are on my shelf as well so I might try to slip in some of those.
Old 05-27-12, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pagefrance
Even so, I believe I'm in this year as well if only to see Lawrence of Arabia, which I've never seen all the way through!
Greatest movie ever made, and if I'm not mistaken, the Blu-ray Disc is *supposed* to come out (at least somewhere) during this challenge.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
...I figure that anything with Hercules, Samson, Goliath, Achilles, Helen of Troy, etc. is eligible.
Not "anything" per se, but definitely anything that plays it straight. You can watch Disney's animated Hercules if you want, but I think it's best to avoid the late 90s TV show because that was really more about creating and growing its own mythology and continuity than in celebrating the original mythology.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Glad to have you back MLS!
"I never left."

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm excited to participate! I'm in the midst of taking a summer French course, and watching films has become something of a release for me. There's nothing like escaping into a good story after hours of translation and reviewing verb tenses.
Absolument! Le cinéma est très bon pour la déviation!

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I'd like to see a Musical added to the checklist (there was some discussion of this last year), as well as a Contemporary western ("Lonely Are The Brave", "Coogan's Bluff", "Junior Bonner", etc.).
I didn't see anything about musicals when I skimmed through the thread, but I admit I didn't read everything closely. Where would you like to see that added, specifically?

I'll also repeat my annual argument for the inclusion of "Zeitgeist" films, contemporary films that capture a moment in time ("Rebel Without a Cause", "Saturday Night Fever", etc.). Yes, I understand that these are covered by the Wild Card, but for me, the term "Wild Card" carries a certain stigma of "yeah, OK, we'll let it slide" of not really belonging, while I think these films should be front and center. I agree they shouldn't dominate the challenge, but on the other hand, they shouldn't be considered the bastard sons of the Challenge. either.
I think this whole challenge is considered the bastard child of the challenges! Zeitgeist films are the gateway films to anarchy and ruin. They are the first slippery step in a steep, slippery slope to no guidelines at all and if we allow them then the terrorists win. Or something. The hell with it. I'll add 'em. Knock yerselves out, y'all. Just do try to remember that the spirit of the challenge is to use cinema to look into the past and not justify counting whatever it is you're gonna watch anyway. (And that holds for all checklist items.)
Old 05-27-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minlshaw
the hell with it. I'll add 'em.
Victory!!!!
Old 05-27-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Zeitgeist films are the gateway films to anarchy and ruin. They are the first slippery step in a steep, slippery slope to no guidelines at all and if we allow them then the terrorists win.
Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Victory!!!!
You see it for yourselves, folks. Doc Moonlight is a terrorist.

Also, I still need you to clarify for me exactly where you want to see musicals on the checklist.
Old 05-27-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also at present, there are a few History Channel specials available free on iTunes (in HD, no less!).

America's Book of Secrets: The Monuments
America's Book of Secrets: The White House
10 Things You Don't Know About: Benjamin Franklin

Titanic: How It Really Sank [National Geographic Channel special]
Old 05-27-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this whole challenge is considered the bastard child of the challenges! Zeitgeist films are the gateway films to anarchy and ruin. They are the first slippery step in a steep, slippery slope to no guidelines at all and if we allow them then the terrorists win. Or something. The hell with it. I'll add 'em. Knock yerselves out, y'all. Just do try to remember that the spirit of the challenge is to use cinema to look into the past and not justify counting whatever it is you're gonna watch anyway. (And that holds for all checklist items.)
Does this mean that most noirs would count?
Old 05-27-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Does this mean that most noirs would count?
Dammit, Doc Moonlight! This is what I was talkin' about! >

Actually, now that March is the Action/Crime Challenge month I think noirs are probably more appropriate then than in this challenge.
Old 05-27-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Dammit, Doc Moonlight! This is what I was talkin' about! >

Actually, now that March is the Action/Crime Challenge month I think noirs are probably more appropriate then than in this challenge.
No, noirs do not count because they are films set in their present, and this challenge is about films that look at the past. Little Caesar might look historical to us because it was made 82 years ago, but that film is up-to-the-minute for 1930, its subject a thinly veiled portrait of Al Capone, a contemporary celebrity gangster. There is no historical perspective in noirs or crime films that are "ripped from the headlines."

The Godfather was made in the 70s and set in the 1940s, so it counts because it looks back to a past era. Little Caesar and its ilk do NOT qualify because they deal solely with their contemporary period, although it would IMO qualify as a "Zeitgeist" film, but those should be limited.

Last edited by Gobear; 05-28-12 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-28-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will episodes of Little House on the Prairie and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman qualify?
Old 05-28-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
No, noirs do not count because they are films set in their present, and this challenge is about films that look at the past.
Yup, this. A neo-noir like LA Confidential would be perfect, though.
Old 05-28-12, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear
No, noirs do not count because they are films set in their present, and this challenge is about films that look at the past.
I already ruled on it. It's rather bad form to ignore a host's ruling and offer your own. Or have things changed around here while I've been "away"?

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Will episodes of Little House on the Prairie and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman qualify?
Yarp. They've been eligible since we started this challenge.
Old 05-28-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yarp. They've been eligible since we started this challenge.
Merci! A little research would have answered my question... and reminded me that I watched some episodes of Little House on the Prairie for last year's challenge. Perhaps, I should lay off the liquor as it seems to be addling my little grey cells!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.