Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fairly Legal: Season 1 (w/ Sara Shahi, USA Network)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-18-12, 05:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find a thread and I was looking for opinions on this show and it's DVD. I caught the new episode with Meat Loaf last week and loved it and I remember missing the first season, and not finding it on DVD. This week at Target it is $19.99 and I was there last Sat. (day before the sale) and it said it was a Target exclusive. I was looking for not only thoughts on the season but the AV quality and that of the bonus features. Unfortunately, I do not have any specs at the moment. Let me know what you all think!
Old 05-18-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Fairly Legal: Season 1 (w/ Sara Shahi, USA Network)

I bought the DVD to catch up on the show before the second season as I've been a fan of Sara Shahi since "The L Word." And this is a very typical USA dramedy (and I don't mean that in a bad way): The characters are quirky and mostly likable, the plots are unique (but can fall into procedural ruts) and the cinematography/music is very well chosen. My only complaint is that they don't really start to flesh out the main characters (besides Shahi) until season two.

In regards to quality it's pretty good. The video isn't reference material but it looks crisp and there are very few grain notes (the blacks can come off a tad grey in really dark scenes) and the bonus features are light, but enjoyable. Instead of doing full commentaries the writers/actors sat around and did select-scene commentary (I believe the entire pilot is covered) so it's more meat and potatoes and less filler than your normal commentaries. There are no featurettes, but about 15 minutes of deleted scenes.
Old 05-18-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I liked the pilot well enough but never got around to watching more. And yeah, I recently learned that it was a Target exclusive, which I might get at some point but I was hoping for a wider release.

The TV forum has a thread for the pilot, plus a number of episode threads. For the second season, Djariya gave up and just did one thread, which you can find if you want opinions beyond season 1.

Fairly Legal -- New USA Series -- "Pilot" -- 1/20/11
Old 05-18-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There will be a wide release on June 5th - which makes no sense since the second season will more or less be done by then...
Old 05-18-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
There will be a wide release on June 5th - which makes no sense since the second season will more or less be done by then...
Target probably got some kind of window.

Cool, I'll go for the wide release then. I see Amazon is already offering a generous 5% discount.
Old 05-19-12, 12:19 AM
Cool New Member

I might go for it at Target, the $19.99 price ends tomorrow... (as does the sale on all the other USA Shows). If you are a fan of any of them you should check the ad. I recommend Covert Affairs in particular, as I am obsessed with that show, I am watching it all the time. Thanks for the thoughts on this one, I'm open to hear more!
Old 05-20-12, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I'm waiting for the wide release and will pick it up when drops below $20.

I like the show and Sarah Shahi is gorgeous, but as David just said, I only did one TV thread for season 2, which is pretty dead. The show doesn't really have alot of plot to talk about week to week and is for the most part a procedural. So discussion in an internet forum like this ends up being pretty dry. Alot of the USA shows fall into that rut.
Old 05-21-12, 09:41 PM
Cool New Member

I picked it up and this weekend got into Rizzoli and Isles on TNT this weekend also, I have wanted to blind buy the first season but it's always expensive... but not this week at Target! It will be $16.50, so I will probably pick it up too... eventually! I am going crazy with these TV on DVD sets and I'm supposed to be focused on Blu-ray.