Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Shakugan no Shana

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shakugan no Shana

Synopsis: Wielding a blazing sword, Shana is a fiery huntress whose sole purpose is to fight demon-like beings that consume human lives. To reduce the impact on the human realm, Shana turns the slain into shadows of their former selves. Once a flame that represents their remaining life goes out, they fade from existence. This should have been Yuji's fate, but when he discovers he holds a special power that ignites a newfound strength in Shana, they join forces in her ongoing mission to maintain the balance between the ordinary world and the supernatural.

Shakugan no Shana DVD/Blu-ray Season 1 (Hyb)

Via Rightstuf:

Date Available: Aug 21 2012
Contains episodes: 1-24 and the OVA.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uFsKKFLc7zk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by chrisc31; 04-07-14 at 11:16 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 05-18-12, 07:43 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: Shakugan no Shana

How is this show? It's on my Watch list because I've heard so many people talk about it. But I don't know much about it.
Old 05-18-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VBtfVMnfNps?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SmeLdhStcMw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XwCRIWimH1s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gqunl9XXeDI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iRI5gYY3ZvM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-25-14 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-19-12, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
How is this show? It's on my Watch list because I've heard so many people talk about it. But I don't know much about it.
Loli with superpowers meets boy, Loli protects boy, Loli gets gets involved in an insipid love triangle with other Lolis over the affections of said boy. I didnt think it was anything special. My biggest complaint was the story never really goes anywhere. To be fair I only saw the 1st season and I hear it got better after that.
Old 05-19-12, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loli? I can name almost a 100 loli animes and "Shakugan no Shana" is not one of them.
Old 05-19-12, 06:09 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 535 Likes on 471 Posts

I thought Season 1 was pretty good. It will be interesting to see how the Blu-ray portion comes out. The JP BD release was rather lackluster. We still don't know if FUNimation will be doing upscale themselves.

The first OVA (hot springs) is just a fluff episode. This episode looks to be included with this release (it was included in the prior FUNimation distributed releases from Geneon).

Beyond that we have the movie (I have not seen this). From what I have heard it's basically a condensed recap of the first six episodes from Season 1.

Season 2 was never released before in North America. FUNimation was said to be talking to Ocean. So it remains to be seen if there will be dub consistency to Season 1. I liked the 2nd season just as much as season 1.

S OVA was all right (4 episodes). Each episode deals with different side stories.

As for Season 3...I'm still currently watching. I started late on it and NicoNico yanked the episodes. I will finish watching the series via Youtube (FUNimation's channel).
Old 07-28-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shakugan no Shana Season 2

Synopsis: This bundle contains Part 1 (limited edition) and Part 2 of Shakugan no Shana season 2 plus a free gift with purchase (to be announced)!

The heated bond between Shana and Yuji is tested as their paranormal adventures continue. The Flame Haze fends off supernatural foes by night, but by day, she contends with a classmate who's also after Yuji's heart. Emotions flare as a suspicious transfer student who resembles a recently defeated Denizen clings to Yuji. His training rises in intensity when they catch wind of a revered warrior in search of her lost lover, who will stop at nothing to extract the power keeping Yuji alive!

Shakugan no Shana Season 2 DVD/Blu-ray Parts 1-2 Bundle (Hyb)

Via Right Stuf:

Date Available: Dec 11 2012
Contains episodes: 1-24.

Special Features: Audio Commentary, Textless Songs.

Shakugan no Shana Season 2 DVD/Blu-ray Part 1 (Hyb) Limited Edition
Shakugan no Shana Season 2 DVD/Blu-ray Part 2 (Hyb)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XtrHZejpmQc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by chrisc31; 04-07-14 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-10-12, 09:56 AM
WTK

Here are some S1 BD screenshots posted by MarcFBR.
It's the very same bad upscale that Japan released. It's rather unfortunate that FUNimation didn't re-do the upscale themselves. In terms of video quality, this set is definitely not double dip worthy to me. The colors feels very washed out to me from the screenshots. There are other issues noted below from a review. And the release doesn't include the OVA episode (this was released with the S2 BD-Box in Japan).

Blu-rayDefinition.com
Originally Posted by Video
This is one of the poorest transfers I have seen from Funimation in a long while. Obviously up-scaled from standard definition, the 1080p/24 AVC/MPEG-4 encodement suffers from just about every issue one could imagine – video noise, posterization, color banding, and motion artifacts. The colors look bland and washed out most of the time. About the only issue that isn’t so bad here, quite surprisingly, is aliasing, which does pop up from time to time, but only very slightly.
Originally Posted by Audio
At least the lossless Dolby TrueHD 2.0 stereo (48kHz/24-bit) soundtrack is a big step up over the video, even though it is only stereo. I listened to the original Japanese track as my reference and it had clear dialogue with a reasonable amount of stereo panning. Low frequencies could have been a bit more extended, but otherwise, it has a solid midrange and good punch. The literal Japanese subtitles are also concise with no grammatical errors that I could spot.
If one doesn't own S1, this combo release is the way to go. If you have a previous DVD release, this one isn't impressing the heck of me (on video department). I guess it can be a marginal upgrade if the release is heavily discounted.
Old 08-10-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed some of the issues after I posted. I am just going to delete my last post. I turned off 1080p/24 and watched it 1080p/60 and the worst issues went away. I still think it's a little better then the Geneon release.

It's the very same bad upscale that Japan released.
Are all Japans blu-rays crap? I thought Japan is suppose to be technology advanced, and to buy this same crap in Japan would cost you over $600.
Old 08-10-12, 11:03 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by chrisc31
Are all Japans blu-rays crap? I thought Japan is suppose to be technology advanced, and to buy this same crap in Japan would cost you over $600.
With upscales, it really may vary. That's why sometimes screencaps can be very helpful (regardless how much you know about Blu-ray).

Shana Season 2 is also an upscale in Japan. And just like Season 1, it's not that good either.
Old 08-11-12, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WTK
With upscales, it really may vary. That's why sometimes screencaps can be very helpful (regardless how much you know about Blu-ray).

Shana Season 2 is also an upscale in Japan. And just like Season 1, it's not that good either.
The back of the case says "Native HD"
Old 08-11-12, 07:17 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by chrisc31
The back of the case says "Native HD"
Seriously? There is no way that's correct. It has to be typo. It's hard to imagine that they think this is a native HD release.
Old 08-19-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shakugan no Shana season II

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g7CRgpr348U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-wq17L8G27w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/100gnlz0hkM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fLthT8S5F5Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MAIN CAST

SHANA - Cherami Leigh
YUJI - Josh Grelle
KAZUMI - Brina Palencia
MARGERY - Colleen Clinkenbeard
KONOE - Lindsay Seidel
ALASTOR - Kent Williams
MARCOSIAS - Justin Cook
WILHELMINA - Carli Mosier

CREW
ADR Director - ADR Director; Ian Sinclair (MOVIE); Christopher Bevins (Season 2, S OVAs)
ADR Engineer - Stephen Hoff (MOVIE); Cris George (Season 2, S OVAs)
Line Producer - Colleen Clinkenbeard (MOVIE); Christopher Bevins (Season 2, S OVAs)
Head Writer - John Burgmeier (Season 2, MOVIE, S OVAs)
Script Writer - Donna Reed (Season 2, MOVIE, S OVAs)

ADDITIONAL CAST

I hope its not really bad changing the cast from Season 1 and the rest of the series.

Last edited by chrisc31; 01-25-13 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WTK
Seriously? There is no way that's correct. It has to be typo. It's hard to imagine that they think this is a native HD release.
Just got back from looking at the back of the box at Anime Revolution. I can confirm that it says "Native".
Old 08-19-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Even the Japanese Blu-rays were considered upscales.
Old 08-23-12, 10:15 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Koby
Even the Japanese Blu-rays were considered upscales.
Season 1 and Season 2 JP BD-Boxes were definitely upscales in Japan. I guess FUNimation might have considered is HD Native if it's taken directly from Japan with no changes.
Old 12-16-12, 02:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shana was a digital show in Japan, wasn't it? As far as I know, there's no way to create an actual HD version of those shows, as they were literally created in 480p, which is why anime from 2000-2006 is worthless to buy on Blu, as it was after cel-animation but before HD became a standard there.
Old 12-16-12, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Shana was a digital show in Japan, wasn't it? As far as I know, there's no way to create an actual HD version of those shows, as they were literally created in 480p, which is why anime from 2000-2006 is worthless to buy on Blu, as it was after cel-animation but before HD became a standard there.
I Agree blu-ray is not amazing on older shows but if you compair the first season blu-ray to Geneons release you might reconsider. Read WTK' post about the reviews for the first season, I don't suggest rebuying if you already own it unless you buy the blu-ray for the rest of the franchise.
Old 01-03-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shakugan no Shana OVA, & Movie

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YwHyNlFFhDI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RF6uth1xABs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wMwDn2pikAA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by chrisc31; 01-25-13 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shakugan no Shana Season 3

Synopsis: Yuji disappeared the fateful night he was supposed to choose between a life combatting evil by Shana's side or as a normal teenager. He returns from near-death to lead the Crimson Denizens in a dubious plot to bring peace to the universe - but Shana isn't fooled. In an explosive reunion, the fiery warrior faces her unlikeliest of foes while Flame Hazes from across the world join forces to ignite a war that will determine the fate of all supernatural kind.

Shakugan no Shana Season 3 DVD/Blu-ray Part 1 (Hyb) Limited Edition

Via Rightstuf:

This limited edition includes a chipboard art box sized to hold both parts 1 and 2 of Shakugan no Shana season 3.
Date Available - Mar 26 2013
Contains episodes: 1-12.

Special Features: Select Episode Commentaries, Shakugan no Shana-tan Final Destruction, Textless Songs, Trailers.

Shakugan no Shana Season 3 DVD/Blu-ray Part 2 (Hyb)

Via Rightstuf:

Date Available - Mar 26 2013
Contains episodes: 13-24.

Special Features: Select Episode Commentaries, Shakugan no Shana-tan Final Destruction 2, Promotional Video, Textless Songs, Trailers.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hlW1v3je-M0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shakugan no Shana S (OVA)

Synopsis: Find out what happens when Yuji accidentally triggers a found Treasure Tool while it's pointed at Shana! Then, Yuji teams up with Wilhelmina to stalk their fiery friend - whose secrecy has become unsettling. Finally, in a two-part special, Shana tracks a Denizen's trail by sorting through a Torch's memories for clues. Her sleuth skills reveal a teenage girl's heartwarming last days and a predator with a serious identity crisis!

Shakugan no Shana S (OVA) DVD/Blu-ray (Hyb)

Via Rightstuf:

Contans OVA episodes 1-4:
Reshuffle
Domicile
Overture, Part 1
Overture, Part 2
Special Features: Shakugan no Shana-tan G, Shakugan no Shana-tan Dos, Shakugan no Shana-tan Tri-, Shakugan no Shana-tan Frontier, Textless Songs, Trailers.

Shakugan no Shana: The Movie

Synopsis:Wielding a blazing sword, Shana's sole purpose is to fight demon-like beings that consume human lives. During a volatile war to stop a foe from devouring every life in Misaki City, Shana cuts Yuji in her crossfire. When the villain discovers this teenage boy is gifted with an immense power, he holds Yuji hostage to lure Shana into a trap that could to destroy the huntress and the entire city!

Shakugan no Shana: The Movie DVD/Blu-ray (Hyb)

Via Rightstuf:

Special Features: Why? What? Shana! Ask Anything Question Box: Review Lesson, Shakugan no Shana-tan Theatrical Version, Promotional Videos, Commercials, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.

Last edited by chrisc31; 04-07-14 at 11:18 PM.