DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

The assassination was pretty well done.
Old 04-29-12, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
You mean it's not ok to talk about the major plot twist where Arya is raped by who, it turns out to be, is her long-lost Dothraki half-brother in spectral form?
This is an interesting thing about those who think they're too clever and can say things without giving something away. By saying what you did we are to presume that she doesn't get raped, even though the threat is present.
Old 04-29-12, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by sven
I don't buy it.
Then you're wrong. It is a wonderful show. The attention to detail is astounding.
The creation, and weaving, of the various threads is a marvel. You should be able to handle a 600 pages book in a 9 hour movie. And I too would worry about too much time, it would add hundreds of thousands of dollars to the budget.
Old 04-30-12, 12:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Astrofan
This is an interesting thing about those who think they're too clever and can say things without giving something away. By saying what you did we are to presume that she doesn't get raped, even though the threat is present.
Not necessarily. It could be that Arya gets raped simultaneously by Tyrion & Bron while a watching Joffrey rapes Cersei as they both snort wildfire. Or it could be that Hodor is raped by Brienne. Or it could be that Stannis, Craster, Yora, Theon, and Mellisandre form a daisy chain and spontaneously combust. Or it could be that none of those things happen, or only part of them happen.

I get your point in that it's tempting to post absurd comments just to make fun of the spoiler-paranoid folk but one does have to be careful about not giving anything away. However, if someone had said "Renly gets stabbed dead by a smoke monster", a lot of people would have assumed that the poster was being silly and presumed that Renly would defeat Stannis, conquer King's Landing, assume the throne, and then have to fight Robb and Dany...all of which, as every viewer of Episode 5 knows, didn't happen.

Still, one does have to be careful, although I don't think the poster's comments indicate whether Arya will or won't be raped or even survive the season. If there is any constant in GOT, it's that anything can happen to anyone at any time. If Season One didn't make that evident to non-readers, then nothing the poster said would change that. When Bran went out the window at the end of the first episode, all bets were off. So Arya ain't out of the woods yet.
Old 04-30-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But people who know making jokes or veiled references with a knowing wink to others who know what does or does not happen, no matter how seemingly absurd or possible because "anything can happen", is part if the problem. There's no point in winking posts in these weekly threads. It's just lording knowledge over others for no point other than self-satisfied smugness.
Old 04-30-12, 12:54 AM
Banned

Then you're wrong. It is a wonderful show. The attention to detail is astounding.
The creation, and weaving, of the various threads is a marvel. You should be able to handle a 600 pages book in a 9 hour movie. And I too would worry about too much time, it would add hundreds of thousands of dollars to the budget.
I do agree with you there (especially about the scads of detail...the show is a feast for the eyes, and it's tempting to freeze-frame to take it all in). Each episode goes by too fast, but that's because there is so much going on all over Westeros with the large cast. You're right...ten episodes is enough to cover the books (especially when the background visuals account for many pages of descriptions of armor, food, and architecture), and that includes the added exposition that helps the non-readers understand the complicated plot.

And your point about the budget is well-taken, as are the comments about the strain of adapting more scenes would put on the writers (who are doing an outstanding job). I could watch five nights GOT each week, but having too many episodes would hurt the pacing and slow the action to a meandering crawl. The anticipated split of the third book into two seasons is because there is so much packed into Storm. On the other hand, the writers may very well decide to jettison scenes for Feast & Dance along with reshuffling scenes to make a more linear plot that will be more coherent to the non-readers. Right now the pacing is about perfect (although Season 2 was necessarily slow-starting to allow for the introduction of all of the new characters. From here on until the end of the season, we can expect major events just about every episode leading up to the big finish to Season 2.
Old 04-30-12, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinata242
But people who know making jokes or veiled references with a knowing wink to others who know what does or does not happen, no matter how seemingly absurd or possible because "anything can happen", is part if the problem. There's no point in winking posts in these weekly threads. It's just lording knowledge over others for no point other than self-satisfied smugness.
Isn't "self-satisfied smugness" kind of an oxymoron? What other kind of smugness is there (and what would be the point)?

It would be good if everybody just discussed what has already taken place and left the rest to other threads. It's a problem with adapted series...with other shows, one can speculate about what might happen, but too many fans already know what WILL happen.

The real dilemma is whether to read or not prior to viewing. I still can't decide whether it was a good thing to read the books first. I understand the characters & what is going on better, but I miss the delicious uncertainty & envy my wife for only having read Book One. I get to explain confusing points (or ones that are glossed over or omitted in the series), but I often wish I was waiting to find out what will happen as opposed to just waiting to see the events unfold.
Old 04-30-12, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Halfway through the season already? ............ this is going too fast!
does seem to by flying by .... loving every moment of it
Old 04-30-12, 01:46 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Also, I believe this is the first episode since the premiere (and that barely counts because of Arya) that we actually got a scene in every notable location with every active character. Jaime has only been in one small scene in the opening episode and that speaks volumes about this show, the scale, and the commitment of the actors. Granted, Jaime is barely in book 2 so it's expected, but I'm glad they didn't shoehorn more exposition scenes with
I don't remember seeing Rob this week; just a lot of talk about him.
Can't believe we're already halfway through. It still feels like chess pieces being moved around.
Old 04-30-12, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
If there is any constant in GOT, it's that anything can happen to anyone at any time.
"Anyone can be killed."

Fucking amazing scene with Arya's stare down on Tywin. This episode was all around amazing.
Old 04-30-12, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd think there would be a lot more smoke monsters out there assassinating a lot more important people.
Old 04-30-12, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Finchy! As soon as I heard the voice I knew it was him.

I actually wondered, earlier in the season, if he would end up on this show. I don't know why.

I loved the Arya and assassins plot line, although I'm still a bit surprised about Tywin not realizing who she is.

Renly's demise really caught me by surprise.
Old 04-30-12, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd think there would be a lot more smoke monsters out there assassinating a lot more important people.
Yeah, I'm wondering about that, too.

If Stannis has a girlfriend who can squirt shadow assassins out of her vagina, I would think he could make short work of his enemies.

Unless there's some kind of catch, this brings in an element that seems like it could end the conflict quickly. Send the assassin (or other assassins if they're good for a single use only) after Joffrey, Tommen, and Cersei; and Stannis is automatically on the Iron Throne.
Old 04-30-12, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So was the prisoner that Arya freed a soldier for the Lannisters before he was captured?
Old 04-30-12, 05:25 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Do the Whitewalkers ever come into play again? I've been wondering this for a while. We see one in the first episode..and nothing again. Them being mentioned last night made me think of it.
Old 04-30-12, 05:43 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
So was the prisoner that Arya freed a soldier for the Lannisters before he was captured?
No

Originally Posted by dex14
Do the Whitewalkers ever come into play again? I've been wondering this for a while. We see one in the first episode..and nothing again. Them being mentioned last night made me think of it.
Yes
Old 04-30-12, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

So I shouldn't make a joke about Arya NOT getting abducted by aliens this season?
Old 04-30-12, 07:39 AM

The entire statement was made up out of thin air to be ridiculous, just as people who spoil future content are ridiculous by deriving satisfaction from depriving others of enjoyment of the plot. I know nothing about the fate of Arya, but I am pretty sure it won't involve a Dothraki brother in ghost form.
Old 04-30-12, 07:41 AM

We're on the same side, pinata. My post was an expression of frustration over the previous weeks' thread.
Old 04-30-12, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Do the Whitewalkers ever come into play again? I've been wondering this for a while.
We've seen one this season outside of Craster's Keep.
Old 04-30-12, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro
Fucking amazing scene with Arya's stare down on Tywin. This episode was all around amazing.
I loved that whole scene. While I don't think Tywin expects that Arya is Arya, it was great that he has further deduced that she's from the North. Great callback to Maester Luwin droning on and on about houses and sigils in season one causing her to get caught in her little coverup.

I would think that, by now, she's had to give her employer a name. I wonder if she stuck with Arry from the road which is too close to Arya for comfort or went with something else. Maybe it's just not important when "girl" works just as well as any name.
Old 04-30-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I love this series and I hate having to wait a whole week for the next episode. 9pm at my house is a sacred time... lol
Old 04-30-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
No, he was given a choice to fight for the Lannisters or die... remember he told Arya "we didn't have any choice".
Old 04-30-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by csant
No, he was given a choice to fight for the Lannisters or die... remember he told Arya "we didn't have any choice".
Splitting hairs here, but Arya said she didn't have a choice, but Jaqen said she did have a choice, as did he.
Old 04-30-12, 08:34 AM

Really good episode, especially the way it looked: great shots, great lighting--I loved all those shots of Tyrion's face with the light & shadows, and the set design in Cersei's quarters.

Even though I knew it was coming, it was still sad to see Renly go: he was my favorite of the five kings, and he was a fun character.

The casting has been phenomenal (although I really can't stand TV Yara, both the actress and the character). Brienne is one of my favorites, and Gwendoline Christie is spot-on. Excited to see more of her. Michelle Fairley as Cat was awesome both here and in last episode with Littlefinger.

Doreah is hot, and I kinda want a baby dragon.

They really manage to pack in a lot of story without making it feel rushed.

Does anyone know if the original pilot (with Jennifer Ehle as Catelyn) has been leaked anywhere?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.