Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is It Time To Let Moviegoers Send Texts During A Film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

This is a subject that gets movie execs going based on the lively debate this morning at a panel about industry issues at the CinemaCon convention in Las Vegas. Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Jeff Blake kicked off the discussion saying that 20 years ago “kids would come every week” to the movies. But no more. “I’m concerned that the moviegoing experience isn’t just for baby boomers.” Regal Entertainment CEO Amy Miles says that her chain currently discourages cell phone use “but if we had a movie that appealed to a younger demographic, we could test some of these concepts.” For example, she says the chain talked about being more flexible about cell phone use at some screens that showed 21 Jump Street. “You’re trying to figure out if there’s something you can offer in the theater that I would not find appealing but my 18-year-old son” might. IMAX’s Greg Foster seemed to like the idea of relaxing the absolute ban on phone use in theaters. His 17-year-old son “constantly has his phone with him,” he says. “We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.” Banning cell phone use may make them “feel a little handcuffed.” That set off Tim League, CEO of Alamo Drafthouse — a small chain that makes a point of throwing out customers who talk or text during a film. “Over my dead body will I introduce texting into the movie theater,” he says. “I love the idea of playing around with a new concept. But that is the scourge of our industry. … It’s our job to understand that this is a sacred space and we have to teach manners.” He says it should be “magical” to come to the cinema. But Miles shot back that “one person’s opinion of magical isn’t the other’s.”

Execs had other pet peeves. For example, Foster decries ads for TV shows in movie theaters. “My tentacles go up,” he says. “How is this possible?” Blake says that moviemakers face “a real challenge” overseas where theaters often mix ads with trailers. The trailer “is the lifeblood of producers and the marketing department” — and one of the top three reasons why people go to the movies. “It’s so important to play those trailers properly, lights down at showtime.” League, whose chain serves meals, also said that there’s “kickback” among consumers on concession pricing — especially the core staples. “Those prices do seem high to me,” he says. “You can get a pint of beer for less than it costs to buy a large soda.”
It's a good thing I rarely go to the movies (have been waiting to rent more and more over time). Although bans on phone convos and texting during a movie are hardly ever enforced, saying it's okay would just encourage even more douchebags to go to a movie to chat with their friends over the phone.
Old 04-26-12, 10:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Is It Time To Let Moviegoers Send Texts During A Film?

If there were a local theatre that actively enforced the "no texting, talking, etc." rules, I'd go there exclusively. The problem is, all of the theatres have these "rules" but not a single one in my city is actually willing to kick people out for doing it.

Officially saying "it's okay" is a bad move.

But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence
THAT is the fucking problem.
Old 04-26-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

No!
Old 04-26-12, 10:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

FUCK. NO. That's the saving grace of a Drafthouse, they enfore that shit big time. Most moviegoers there also call out idiots who do that during a movie as well. They want to know why kids don't come? Look at the damn ticket prices. Giving them an incentive like this isn't going to bring them in like they think.
Old 04-26-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wonderful idea, Jeff Blake. I can hardly sit down after the ass raping I get paying $19 for an IMAX ticket, now I can deal with your shithead kid texting because he has no attention span?

Fuck you.
Old 04-26-12, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
No!
Old 04-26-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 04-26-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want those cell phone signal blockers installed in everytheater. Just put a sign outside saying they are in place. The world survived without cell phones thousands of years. I think they can do without them for a couple of hours.
Old 04-26-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure what the outrage about texting is. Yeah, talking on the phone is rude. But how does someone silently texting ruin your moviegoing experience?
Old 04-26-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Not sure what the outrage about texting is. Yeah, talking on the phone is rude. But how does someone silently texting ruin your moviegoing experience?
It's the text back with the annoying Nicky Minaj song that goes off and you can't tell me seeing some screen light up out of the corner of your eye isn't distracting.
Old 04-26-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The bright screens in a dark theater. Also, some people have their phones set to have little clicks/beeps when a button is pushed.
Old 04-26-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

My immediate reaction is "no, please no!" I believe strongly that as a general policy, theaters should not relax the limitations on cell phone use in any way.

On the other hand, if a theater wants to have a special showing for teenagers where cell-phones are allowed and they scroll live tweets across the screen or whatever, in order to cater to youngsters and make more money, I wouldn't raise any serious objections.

There's a local theater chain nearby that does showings for moms on some Wednesday evenings where moms are allowed to bring their infants. I think that's a pretty cool thing, because it allows moms to get out and see a movie, but it also means I don't have to ever deal with crying babies at a regular show there.
Old 04-26-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resinrats
I want those cell phone signal blockers installed in everytheater. Just put a sign outside saying they are in place. The world survived without cell phones thousands of years. I think they can do without them for a couple of hours.
Yes, because blocking all transmissions in a frequency range so surgeons on call, police, fireman, parents with kids being babysat at home, can all sit for 2 hours without those pesky interruption from people in need of desperate help. Wonderful, well-thought-out, idea.
Old 04-26-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Because cell phones are bright, especially in a dark theater.

Texting wouldn't be as big of a deal if people followed a two simple rules, turn the brightness all the way down and keep the phone low and close to your body. I know this isn't ideal but texting isn't going away, and very few theaters actually enforce their rules.
Old 04-26-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

“We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.” Banning cell phone use may make them “feel a little handcuffed.

Unbelievable.

This kind of comment makes my blood boil.

Fuck you and your entitled spawn.
Old 04-26-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not meaning to pile on, but....really?
Old 04-26-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"That set off Tim League, CEO of Alamo Drafthouse — a small chain that makes a point of throwing out customers who talk or text during a film. “Over my dead body will I introduce texting into the movie theater,” he says. “I love the idea of playing around with a new concept. But that is the scourge of our industry. … It’s our job to understand that this is a sacred space and we have to teach manners.” He says it should be “magical” to come to the cinema. "

God bless this man!!!
Old 04-26-12, 11:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Yes, because blocking all transmissions in a frequency range so surgeons on call, police, fireman, parents with kids being babysat at home, can all sit for 2 hours without those pesky interruption from people in need of desperate help. Wonderful, well-thought-out, idea.
Please.
If the theatre clearly states "your cell phone will NOT have a signal during the feature presentation," then those who have a problem with it can go elsewhere.
Old 04-26-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If anyone falls under the categories you've just listed, the answer is simple: stay away from the movie theater. Or, as kefrank suggested, there should be special screening rooms just for those who need to be on call or simply want to play with their phones nonstop.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-26-12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-26-12, 11:27 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

The only way I could see this maybe work is if they made the back 5 or so rows 'text zones' so nobody else would have to see them. They would still have to deal with the sound issues, though.
Old 04-26-12, 11:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ glass wall to separate the heathens.
Old 04-26-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one's tortured, you're not at control of your existence. So what I'm going to suggest is a very simple idea:

If that doesn't work, there's always a suggestion regarding Battle Royale.

If you pull out a cell phone during an IMAX presentation I paid $17 ($4 after MoviePass ) for, be prepared to have me grab said phone and shove it directly up your asshole. If you can't live without your phone for two measly hours, you should just go kill yourself because your contributions to society are going to be practically worthless.

There's also another group of individuals other than teenagers that chat and text during a film, but I'm not here to start a race war today. In fact, one of those individuals got arrested during The Dictator at CinemaCon on Monday night for trying to record said film despite warnings not to record and the fact security with guns were surrounding the place.
Old 04-26-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
The only way I could see this maybe work is if they made the back 5 or so rows 'text zones' so nobody else would have to see them. They would still have to deal with the sound issues, though.
Fuck no. I sit up top specifically to avoid having assholes both in front of and behind me.
Old 04-26-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Once again, what kefrank suggested is the best option. Seperate showings and/or screening rooms is the best bet. For once, segregation actually is the right answer.
Old 04-26-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

You do realize there was a time a place where cell phones didn't exist and the world went right on spinning? If a person is on call, do like they did in the old days and keep their ass at home. They don't have to ruin the movie going experience for the rest of us.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.