Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
37.55%
29.60%
18.05%
7.94%
2.53%
1.81%
1.08%
0.36%
0%
0.36%
0.36%
Avengers Disassemble!
0.36%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya
Arpeggi...0 stars?? Really?? Maybe he should stick to watching basketball.

Edit: Ah I see, he didn't even see the movie. Just a personal hate for Joss Whedon.
I'm going to a midnight showing tonight. Too late to change my vote. The Avengers is probably going to be good, but Joss Whedon deserves a 0 for all the trash he has written and directed prior to this film.
Old 05-03-12, 10:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Trollish troll is trollish.
Old 05-04-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rats. I won't get to see the movie until tomorrow after all (my son has to work tonight), but at least it will still be in IMAX 3D. So I can't cast my vote yet, but unless there is something cataclysmically wrong, I am pretty confident that I'll be voting 5 stars, if for no other reason than to offset the lame 0 star vote.
Old 05-04-12, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Loved it. More later.

Spoiler:
End credits bit is definitely for die hard comic fans
Old 05-04-12, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Just as good the second time. Again, be sure to stay all the way to the end
Old 05-04-12, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easily best Marvel movie, including all the non Marvel studios movies.

Spoiler:
Thanos looked awesome already, and he's probably not even close to completely designed
Old 05-04-12, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caught the midnight show: spectacular. Hulk/Rufalo really stole the show... everybody was great though.

Spoiler:
Agent Coulson biting it was a bummer... I kept hoping it would turn out he was just an LMD.

Loved all the neat character bits. The pause in the Hulk/Thor fight, with Thor waiting 4-5 seconds for Mjolnir to reach him, and the cheap shot the Hulk took later on were both great.
Old 05-04-12, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got in from the IMAX 3D show. I'm an Iron Man geek but it was a tie between Iron Man and Banner/Hulk stealing the show. Iron Man had some great lines but Hulk had 2 amazing little bits that had the crowd losing their minds. The bonus scenes during the credits were both amazing in their own ways.
Old 05-04-12, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Such a great ride, Hulk definitely stole the show. No post credits scene, will have to see it again in 2D.
Old 05-04-12, 04:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Just as good the second time. Again, be sure to stay all the way to the end
Agree. It holds up all the way through. I'm really amazed just how well it turned out. Considering how much I wanted it to be great, it should have been a disaster.

Although this does make me worry about Prometheus or The Dark Knight Rises. It's just not possible that all three of these movies could meet my absurdly high expectations. Two at the most.
Old 05-04-12, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just got home a few minutes ago. Yep, it was pretty badass! Hulk rocked; I wanna give him a hug. It's pretty amazing how much personality he had (Ruffalo) that came through to big green guy. It was also cool to see some primal nuances - there were times where he would stand like a big ape with his knuckles dragging the ground and whatnot.

It's taken how many films now, to get these characters right? I think they succeeded in fleshing them out even more. Thor got to be the badass he always was and Loki really got to shine.

Anyways, I'll be seeing it again on Sunday. BTW, who was the new SHIELD babe in black with the short black hair? She made an impression *nerd boner*
Old 05-04-12, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Avengers should appear in IMDB's Top 250 shortly. Right now it would land firmly in the Top 10.
Old 05-04-12, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My vote: 3 1/2 Stars

I enjoyed The Avengers, but my vote represents what I think of it as a film overall and not just as a comic book film. After spending the day watching Marvel films (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, IM2, Thor, Capt. America, then Avengers), I was definitely in the right mindset for the film, but it felt somewhat too perfunctory for me.

Whedon was definitely playing it up for the fanboy crowd and there is nothing wrong with a little fan service, but at times I felt it was a bit much (as if the comic-con masses needed a LOTR reference thrown in). The story was good enough to get invested in (unlike Thor, which I saw for the 1st time yesterday and felt completely underwhelmed by), but didn't really elevate above the standard comic book narratives I've come to expect.

The good though is that while the film does not elevate above its genre, it colors quite well within the lines. Whedon's large scale action scenes were wonderfully coherent as they maintained Bay-like scale, but with non-Bay like respect for spatial relationships. Other than a few sloppy in tight hand to hand combat sequences, Whedon did a great job (moreso than Nolan) with the action sequences. And as others have said, Hulk steals the film as he provides the bulk of the humor (slapstick from Hulk and wit from Banner) that I went in expecting to come from Iron Man (wit). The expansion of the Loki character was a vast improvement on what was an under-utilization of talent in Thor as The Avengers ups both the menace and petulance of Loki to great effect.

Overall, a very good comic book movie and one of the best of the Marvel/Avengers series of films (I really look forward to the next Hulk movie) with two fun after credit sequences. I'm sure I will wind up expanding on my opinion of the film via in-thread discussion or if anything else comes to me (these are my initial impressions after 4 hours of sleep post-screening).

Also, does anyone know why Ralph Macchio got a Special Thanks credit?
Old 05-04-12, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Ralph Macchio the longtime editor at Marvel Comics, not Ralph Macchio the Karate Kid.
Old 05-04-12, 07:09 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/05/08...-thor-credits/

same name, different guy.
Old 05-04-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
BTW, who was the new SHIELD babe in black with the short black hair? She made an impression *nerd boner*
That was Cobie Smulders from How I Met Your Mother, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-04-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Will be seeing this today, looking forward to it.
Old 05-04-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Ralph Macchio the longtime editor at Marvel Comics, not Ralph Macchio the Karate Kid.
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Ah, thanks. I'm weirdly let down by this. I was hoping they were thanking the other Ralph Macchio for being the best around.
Old 05-04-12, 09:02 AM
Banned

Ralph Macchio has been an editor at Marvel since the early 1980s and people still think he is the Karate Kid actor.
Old 05-04-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the
Spoiler:
Thanos
scene at the end was the only bonus scene. What was the other? I intend to see this again ASAP, so don't worry too much about spoiling.

Also, did anyone else get the vibe that Black Widow and Hawkeye were more than teammates/friends at one point in their lives? I really liked Widow's scene with Loki (save for one too many butt shots of Scarlett, one was okay, but the second one almost had the men in my audience howling); nice to give a nod to the fact that
Spoiler:
she wasn't always a nice person and quite ruthless in her own right
/
Old 05-04-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I thought the
Spoiler:
Thanos
scene at the end was the only bonus scene. What was the other? I intend to see this again ASAP, so don't worry too much about spoiling.
You did what I did. I didn't know there were two the first time I saw it. Which is the main reason I went back last night

Spoiler:
The Avengers are all sitting around a table in a restaurant that's being cleaned up. They are still in their uniforms (Banner is in human form) and it's obviously post-battle. It's probably the Shawarma place Tony mentioned. Anyway, there's no dialogue....they're just eating and kind of staring off into space...obviously tired. Captain America isn't eating. It goes on for so long, it circles back around from being weird to funny.
Old 05-04-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You did what I did. I didn't know there were two the first time I saw it. Which is the main reason I went back last night

Spoiler:
The Avengers are all sitting around a table in a restaurant that's being cleaned up. They are still in their uniforms (Banner is in human form) and it's obviously post-battle. It's probably the Shawarma place Tony mentioned. Anyway, there's no dialogue....they're just eating and kind of staring off into space...obviously tired. Captain America isn't eating. It goes on for so long, it circles back around from being weird to funny.

That actually sounds like it work as a teaser for the sequel.
Old 05-04-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

My vote: 3 1/2 Stars
Thanks for the honest review without knee-jerk Whedon gushing and comic book nerdgasm
Old 05-04-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bamboolounge
ah, thanks. I'm weirdly let down by this. I was hoping they were thanking the other ralph macchio for being the best around.
no one's ever gonna keep him down!
Old 05-04-12, 10:23 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Spoiler:
That second bonus sequence was awesome, don't forget
Spoiler:
They were all so 'present as characters' while doing so little at all. Thor was chowing down, Cap was exhausted, Widow was like it was another days work, Iron Man was subtly bursting at the seams to have pals 'being normal', and banner looked up, thought of something and laughed to himself, then went back to eating.
I have to think the actors themselves ad libbed this scene and nailed it perfectly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.