Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cabin in the Woods (Goddard, 2012) — The Reviews Thread (Spoilers)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Cabin in the Woods (Goddard, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
25.62%
27.27%
20.66%
9.09%
7.44%
0.83%
3.31%
2.48%
0%
0.83%
0.83%
Twikoff is taking me to his cabin in the woods this weekend.
1.65%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

The Cabin in the Woods (Goddard, 2012) — The Reviews Thread (Spoilers)

Old 04-14-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: The Cabin in the Woods (Goddard, 2012) — The Reviews Thread (Spoilers)

I enjoyed it a lot. I was trying to figure out it's angle for the first 1/3. I had a bunch of different ideas about where it would go. But I didn't guess where it did go.

Spoiler:
With the trailer, I initially expected the 'underground' guys to be something like a satrical corporation coming up with movie and video game ideas, or something like that. And then I thought maybe the "guy downstairs" was some meglomaniac who gets kicks out of the terror. I also was thinking that the creatures were going to be staff in makeup, not real monsters.

This movie is going to be as rewatchable as The Big Lebowski. It's quick, fun, constantly witty and very likeable.
Old 04-14-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Wow, this movie is awesome! Loved it. Haven't enjoyed a horror movie this much in years. Thought it was funny and incredibly clever.

My only issue is this:
Spoiler:
at one point Marty had a knife thrown into his back. There's no question about that. Once he shows up again to rescue Dana, it's like he had never been injured
Old 04-14-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

So this is a horror movie that pokes fun at the rules and cliches of horror but yet fails to follow its own rules as they allowed Shaggy to clearly survive seemingly unscathed from a mortal injury.
Old 04-14-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
So this is a horror movie that pokes fun at the rules and cliches of horror but yet fails to follow its own rules as they allowed Shaggy to clearly survive seemingly unscathed from a mortal injury.
It was just a flesh wound.
Old 04-14-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Several people got the bear trap in the back and were running around later like nothing happened. Dana got the shit kicked out of her by the giant guy at the dock by the lake and was running around later like nothing happened.

I don't see the big deal about the knife in the back.
Old 04-14-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to see it last night and loved it. I was kind of skeptical, especially after hearing comparisons to the Scream movies (which suck). I tend to dislike horror movies that are "clever." But this one kicked all sorts of ass and managed to be both smart and fun.

I figured it out pretty quickly (all the talk of "upstairs" and "downstairs" made it pretty clear) but still enjoyed the ride. I think it's going to end up changing the genre in a lot of ways. I'll certainly have a tough time watching horror movies in the future without comparing it to this.
Old 04-14-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
It was just a flesh wound.
Ha! Half of that 12 inch blade was in his back.
Old 04-14-12, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Depends on what era Craven you are talking about. My Soul To Take? The Cursed? Garbage.
Well he made Deadly Friend and Hills Have Eyes II and Vampire in Brooklyn during his "peak" eras so I don't think his filmography breaks down that easily.

What I mean to say is that Scream is far superior to Cabin in the Woods as a genre-bending horror film, but Cabin is a pretty awesome little thriller.
Old 04-14-12, 08:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

My spoiler-free thoughts on Cabin in the Woods? During the first 45 minutes I was marginally entertained, perhaps even leaning towards disappointed... then about 1/2 way through it shifts gears, kicks you in the teeth, twists your nipples, and rapes your third input without the benefit of lube. Good times.
Old 04-14-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
. I think it's going to end up changing the genre in a lot of ways. I'll certainly have a tough time watching horror movies in the future without comparing it to this.
I'm not sure how that is going to happen. Are we going to start seeing more "horror" movies trying to be smart and outwit us? Also, I see this as much of a horror movie as Return of the Living Dead which does kick all sorts of ass but doesn't come to mind first when I think of horror.
Old 04-15-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My one complaint was that I wish they didn't involve the shot of the eagle flying into the force field as the kids were heading to the cabin. It would have made Thor crashing into it on the bike the biggest laugh of the movie.
Old 04-15-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Went to see it last night and loved it. I was kind of skeptical, especially after hearing comparisons to the Scream movies (which suck). I tend to dislike horror movies that are "clever." But this one kicked all sorts of ass and managed to be both smart and fun.

I figured it out pretty quickly (all the talk of "upstairs" and "downstairs" made it pretty clear) but still enjoyed the ride. I think it's going to end up changing the genre in a lot of ways. I'll certainly have a tough time watching horror movies in the future without comparing it to this.

Scream had all these self-aware characters voicing a running commentary about slasher movie cliches at every spare moment. In that sense it kept pushing up against the fourth wall. This movie is more like Cabin Fever in that it actively spoofs the genre, but without any of the characters being in on it. Scream was like the characters were winking at the audience, and with Cabin in the Woods, it's purely a dialog between the filmmakers and the audience.
Old 04-15-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Im a big Angel/Buffy fan and i found this movie to be extremely entertaining. Seeing Amy Acker put a big fucking grin on my face. It reminded me how cute she was as Fred. She also looks like she hasnt aged a day since Angel's final season. See this movie.
Old 04-15-12, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no opinion on Joss Whedon or his crew and I thought this was very entertaining. My theater experience was something... special? The audio dropped out for a second at a time fairly often and then happened for 30 seconds to a minute 4-5 times so I can't say I heard every line of dialogue but I certainly didn't miss anything critical to the story. It did bring the crowd together a bit in that we all started cheering or laughing together when something cool happend. Everything about the movie worked to be entertaining... Yes, it ripped off The Evil Dead for a bit and then Cube for a shorter bit but it worked in making it it's own. The last 1/3 of the film was just fucking insane in a great way. I honestly wish we got that craziness expanded upon a bit during the main bit of the film.

All in all an entertaining watch that I'd recommend, and look forward to seeing on Blu for a full audio and crisper video experience (something about the theater's lighting didn't mesh well with the movie). Plus we all got free passes to a future movie for our troubles thanks to a management team that actually had their shit together with handling a problem.
Old 04-15-12, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
My one complaint was that I wish they didn't involve the shot of the eagle flying into the force field as the kids were heading to the cabin. It would have made Thor crashing into it on the bike the biggest laugh of the movie.

I thought the same, but people still laughed out loud when Thor smashed into the wall.
Old 04-15-12, 09:12 AM

really loved it and had a blast. My theater had it cranked up so freakin loud and I jumped and screamed several times even though it was clear that something was going to happen. I'm def. going again because people were talking and I was distracted during most of the beginning before the opening title. Def. buying this.
Old 04-15-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the same, but people still laughed out loud when Thor smashed into the wall.
Spoiler:
For a split second when it goes in slow mo you're like "He's going to make it, he's going to ma..... nevermind"
Old 04-15-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Spoiler:
For a split second when it goes in slow mo you're like "He's going to make it, he's going to ma..... nevermind"
That was a hilarious gag as soon as he said 'I'm going to jump it'. I giggled for the next minute during the setup and execution, because he was so sure of himself.
Old 04-15-12, 11:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I thought the jump scene held no tension whatsoever, since they already showed the eagle getting zapped by the force field.
Old 04-15-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I thought the jump scene held no tension whatsoever, since they already showed the eagle getting zapped by the force field.

True, but that's the whole point. The audience has been in on the gag since the film started, it's our poor heroes that are not.

In retrospect, that's a frightening thought!
Old 04-15-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, but that's the whole point. The audience has been in on the gag since the film started, it's our poor heroes that are not.

In retrospect, that's a frightening thought!
I agree. And, all honesty, I had forgotten about the force field. It made the scene funnier for me that way.
I almost wish they had set up the movie a little differently, without a hint of the underground lab until much later in the movie. Plus, I kept wondering about Thor's brother that "owned" the cabin. I didn't get that side of it on how they tricked him about the cabin.
The one thing I did enjoy about the whole movie is how it felt like a series finale for Buffy but without Buffy in it to save the day.
Old 04-15-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
I agree. And, all honesty, I had forgotten about the force field. It made the scene funnier for me that way.
I almost wish they had set up the movie a little differently, without a hint of the underground lab until much later in the movie. Plus, I kept wondering about Thor's brother that "owned" the cabin. I didn't get that side of it on how they tricked him about the cabin.
The one thing I did enjoy about the whole movie is how it felt like a series finale for Buffy but without Buffy in it to save the day.
It surprised the shit to see them reveal the setup right out of the gate.
Old 04-15-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Three Stooges beat Cabin in the Woods at the box office.

I weep for humanity.

/facepalm
Old 04-15-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Three Stooges beat Cabin in the Woods at the box office.

I weep for humanity.

/facepalm
I saw Cabin in the Woods with my wife and daughter on Friday and then I took my daughter to see Stooges on Saturday. We liked both of them but I have to say that we had a better time watching Stooges.
Old 04-15-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like how everyone just calls Hemsworth "Thor" whenever they mention the character. I'm sure that won't be a typecast for him :P

And on another note, that coffee mug in this movie was AMAZING

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.