Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Day to release 3 albums in next 8 months

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 02:07 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Link

“We are at the most prolific and creative time in our lives. This is the best music we’ve ever written, and the songs just keep coming,” the band said in a statement released by their publicist last night. “Instead of making one album, we are making a three album trilogy. Every song has the power and energy that represents Green Day on all emotional levels.”

The albums will be titled ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, and ¡Tre!, the third eschewing the proper Spanish spelling of “three” in favor of a reference to drummer Tré Cool. They represent the first proper releases from the band since 2009. ¡Uno! will hit stores on September 25, with ¡Dos! following on November 13 and ¡Tre! hitting on January 15 2013. There’s no indication about what the new music might sound like, though fans in Japan, France, Germany, and Italy may be able to get a preview when the band plays festivals in those countries later this summer.

This could either be great or the worst self-indulgent crap ever. I really like Green Day, but it seems that they should do what most artists do when they write a shitload of new music - pare it down to the best 12-15 tracks or so and save the rest for the late-career box set of "never heard before" recordings that are increasingly popular.

I'll withhold judgment until I hear these albums. I'm really hoping for the best here.
Old 04-12-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Green Day to release 3 albums in next 8 months

Every band says their latest tunes are "the best we've ever written".
Old 04-12-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I agree that this could be really good or really bad. I like a lot of others I'm sure liked them a lot at one point before they basically re-branded themselves and started going the mainstream/young teenage crowd. I think American Idiot was somewhat a mixed bag, it wasn't all bad but there was a lot of meh stuff in it. 21st Century Breakdown is where they really lost me. I can't even really enjoy most of it honestly. So I guess I'm curious to see what they'll do with these albums but if it's a lot like their past two releases then I'm not very interested. Personally I feel like three albums is a bit much I guess and comes across sort of egotistical. Most bands can't get away with releasing a decent double album let alone releasing three. I'm willing to bet there's going to be a lot of filler across these albums.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-12-12 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-13-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I hope the albums have a bunch of short, fast, fun songs. I'm so done with the overwrought ballads and rock operas.
Old 04-13-12, 09:56 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Insomniac was my favourite album for that exact reason. Short, fast, fun songs. With the exception of Brain Stew, that album is perfect (for Green Day, anyway).

I'm guessing one of the discs of this trilogy will be a return to form. The others will be over-indulgent rock ballads, suited for a sequel to their Broadway musical.
Old 04-13-12, 02:15 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
I hope the albums have a bunch of short, fast, fun songs. I'm so done with the overwrought ballads and rock operas.
I agree. I think a cool idea would be if each one of these is a short simple 30-40 minute punk rock record. The way albums used to be before the size of CD's allowed for bloated albums.

If it's three 60+ minute albums expect a LOT of filler.
Old 04-13-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I could be wrong in my presumptions about these albums, but I don't think we'll see a lot of short fast punk songs on these albums. There might be songs like that sprinkled throughout the three but Green Day hasn't really written those types of songs on their last two albums and it seems like all they care about now is writing rock operas infused with their political views all throughout. I love the Green Day of old but the last two albums I could really do without.

Truthfully in my opinion the last really good Green Day related release was a side project that they did under a different name. Foxboro Hot Tubs: Stop, Drop, and Roll. That was a really fun album that was just good songs, not trying to appeal to the teen crowds but just making enjoyable music.
Old 04-14-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Truthfully in my opinion the last really good Green Day related release was a side project that they did under a different name. Foxboro Hot Tubs: Stop, Drop, and Roll. That was a really fun album that was just good songs, not trying to appeal to the teen crowds but just making enjoyable music.
For something different, check out the CD from their other side project, The Network. It's very Devo-ish.

some clips are here
http://www.amazon.com/Money-2020-Net...4380720&sr=8-5
Old 04-14-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I agree that this could be really good or really bad. I like a lot of others I'm sure liked them a lot at one point before they basically re-branded themselves and started going the mainstream/young teenage crowd. I think American Idiot was somewhat a mixed bag, it wasn't all bad but there was a lot of meh stuff in it. 21st Century Breakdown is where they really lost me. I can't even really enjoy most of it honestly. So I guess I'm curious to see what they'll do with these albums but if it's a lot like their past two releases then I'm not very interested. Personally I feel like three albums is a bit much I guess and comes across sort of egotistical. Most bands can't get away with releasing a decent double album let alone releasing three. I'm willing to bet there's going to be a lot of filler across these albums.
I did hear they're moving away from the political rock opera stuff. I heard there's a lot of songs about... sex.
Old 04-14-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're a pretty damned good band. I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.
Old 04-15-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

Green Day isn't in a place where I'm excited about this. I'd be cautiously optimistic about a single disc. Maybe one of them will be like Foxboro Hot Tubs.
Old 04-15-12, 06:36 PM
Enormous Genitals

I like their old stuff and the new. They've become an arena band, and that's the sound they got in 21st Century Breakdown.
Old 04-15-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Three albums about sex seems a bit excessive. They could have had a theme for each disc, such as sex, death and politics (like an extended dark side of the moon).
Old 04-16-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I like their old stuff and the new. They've become an arena band, and that's the sound they got in 21st Century Breakdown.
I think they did it amazingly well with American Idiot and I defend that album regularly amongst people who think it is what 21st Century Breakdown ended up being - bloated, whinny, pretentious, rock.
Old 04-16-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42
Three albums about sex seems a bit excessive. They could have had a theme for each disc, such as sex, death and politics (like an extended dark side of the moon).

Or, one each for Oral, Anal, and Vaginal.
Old 04-17-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I figure it probably takes about 2 days to write an entire Green Day record, so I'm not impressed.
Old 04-17-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
I figure it probably takes about 2 days to write an entire Green Day record, so I'm not impressed.
Per your DOB in your profile you should have 6158 albums of comparable quality under your belt right now. I'd be very interested in hearing them. Where are they?
Old 04-19-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Per your DOB in your profile you should have 6158 albums of comparable quality under your belt right now. I'd be very interested in hearing them. Where are they?
With the amount of variety in this world when it comes to music, judging someone's musical tastes by their birthdate, is probably one of the most ridiculous and asinine assumptions I've seen. You're reaching. Desperation is setting in...'must...defend....green day....they need me me'. Green Day write four power chord songs with simple pop melodies, a lot of which are blatantly ripped off from other songs. It's not science to assume they probably don't put much effort into it, especially with most major label writing and recording sessions usually adding up to around a month.
Old 04-19-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
With the amount of variety in this world when it comes to music, judging someone's musical tastes by their birthdate, is probably one of the most ridiculous and asinine assumptions I've seen. You're reaching. Desperation is setting in...'must...defend....green day....they need me me'. Green Day write four power chord songs with simple pop melodies, a lot of which are blatantly ripped off from other songs. It's not science to assume they probably don't put much effort into it, especially with most major label writing and recording sessions usually adding up to around a month.
I'm not judging your taste by your birthday. You're three an a half years older than me. I was merely pointing out that you should have literally tens of thousands of songs as good as Green Day songs based on your belief that they can easily shit their music out after only 48 hours.
Old 04-20-12, 10:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I'm not judging your taste by your birthday. You're three an a half years older than me. I was merely pointing out that you should have literally tens of thousands of songs as good as Green Day songs based on your belief that they can easily shit their music out after only 48 hours.
You can't knock someone's criticism of music (or art, or theater, etc) simply by saying "you can't do it yourself so your opinion is invalid." That being said, I know full well that GD's songs are relatively simple 4-chord songs, and I still love them. Their songs are catchy and have enough edge to keep me interested. It's not high art, but I'm not going to apologize for liking it.
Old 04-20-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Bandohurt
You can't knock someone's criticism of music (or art, or theater, etc) simply by saying "you can't do it yourself so your opinion is invalid." That being said, I know full well that GD's songs are relatively simple 4-chord songs, and I still love them. Their songs are catchy and have enough edge to keep me interested. It's not high art, but I'm not going to apologize for liking it.
I think when someone claims that the music being created can be written in a matter of hours, then it is a valid knock.
Old 04-20-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Black Sabbath wrote "Paranoid " in about an hour.

Just sayin!
Old 04-21-12, 08:03 PM
Enormous Genitals

Elton John wrote the entire Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album in a weekend.
Old 04-22-12, 01:54 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Bandohurt
Elton John wrote the entire Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album in a weekend.
How long did it take Bernie Taupin to write the lyrics?
Old 04-23-12, 02:43 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Philzilla
How long did it take Bernie Taupin to write the lyrics?
Two and 1/2 weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_Yellow_Brick_Road

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.