Old 04-10-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Raising Hope -- "Inside Probe" -- 4/10/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Bijou Phillips ("Almost Famous"), Nancy Grace ("Nancy Grace") and YouTube sensation Greyson Chance Guest-Star

In a very special "mockumentary" episode, Nancy Grace (guest-starring as herself) examines the "real story" of Hope's mom, serial killer Lucy Carlisle (guest star Phillips). Grace interviews each member of the Chance family, all of whom relay personal accounts of exactly what happened when Jimmy met Lucy back in 2008. At the end of the program, the Chances are shocked to find out developing details about Lucy in the all-new "Inside Probe" episode of RAISING HOPE airing Tuesday, April 10 (9:31-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (HOP-222) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Episode 21 of 22

Next week is the season finale

BTW, this got renewed for a 3rd season yesterday.
Old 04-10-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Raising Hope -- "Inside Probe" -- 4/10/12

Awesome episode. "...a gerbil named Martha."

Also, Frank with the stolen doughnut.

Looking forward to the season finale next week. So glad that FOX renewed it for next year.
Old 04-11-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was a pretty terrible episode based solely on the actual inclusion of Nancy Grace. It doesn't help I hate the woman, but if you want to parody the bullshit she actually does for a living it's a terrible idea (IMO) to have the actual target be involved.
Old 04-11-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate Nancy Grace but liked the episode. Very curious to see what happens. I assume that it can't be the mother, but who knows.
Old 04-11-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does that mean Jimmy is still married? lol
Old 04-11-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Didn't they watch her get executed? Is this the first time they've said that Jimmy married her? I don't remember anything about that originally.
Old 04-11-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Didn't they watch her get executed? Is this the first time they've said that Jimmy married her? I don't remember anything about that originally.
Yes it is.

I thought that they watched her die in a video montage.
Old 04-11-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow that was absolutely terrible!

Nancy Grace was awful, the reveal of the marriage at this point in the show was stupid and the cliffhanger was...I don't even know where to start on that one.

2nd worst episode of the year right behind the Californication finale.
Old 04-11-12, 07:32 PM

Can someone tell me what song they play in the middle of this episode, during one of the news montages? Its an instrumental, electronic sounding song. Thanks!
Old 04-11-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
I thought this was a pretty terrible episode based solely on the actual inclusion of Nancy Grace.
Yep. I did get a few laughs, but this was easily the worst episode of the series. Not really looking forward to part 2.
Old 04-12-12, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Dream episode?
Old 04-12-12, 10:00 AM

I thought it was a pretty fun episode. It's a goofy sitcom, so I'm not very concerned with them playing with the back story even if there are conflicts or retcons.

It felt very much like the My Name is Earl COPS episodes (which I loved). I enjoyed the actual photos of the actors when they were younger (and sometimes using the photo as part of the story like Martha's hamster cage having her name on it).

And Burt was awesome with his lens-less sunglasses frames and barking at the neighbor dog. The self referential stuff was good as well. I liked it!

The one negative comment I would agree with is the Nancy Grace one. I don't really know or care who she is, but I agree that if you are going to lampoon someone or their show/style, use a look-alike and skewer them. (I think the only time I have ever seen the woman was when I saw the clip of her talking about Whitney Houston's death and it was obvious she is just a pot-stirring sensationalizing media-whore.....yes I base that one just one clip seen )
Old 04-12-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Claytonian
it was obvious she is just a pot-stirring sensationalizing media-whore.....yes I base that one just one clip seen
Well..you got the right impression.

That's my point exactly. Putting her in that role, a person that actually does that crap is only really weakening your point which in turn makes it fall apart for me. Now had they gone with someone who looked like her and acted like her and were obviously jabbing at her sensationalistic style of "reporting" and "investigating" then it would've been a completely different reaction from me. (Because there were other pieces of the episode that I did find funny.)
Old 04-12-12, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by superfro
Well..you got the right impression.

That's my point exactly. Putting her in that role, a person that actually does that crap is only really weakening your point which in turn makes it fall apart for me. Now had they gone with someone who looked like her and acted like her and were obviously jabbing at her sensationalistic style of "reporting" and "investigating" then it would've been a completely different reaction from me. (Because there were other pieces of the episode that I did find funny.)
The thing that bothered me about it is that, for someone who has that schtick down cold, she was terrible at it. It's like she doesn't realize that that's really how she acts, so she tried to "act" it, and just ruined it.
Old 04-12-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree that Nancy Grace was overkill for the entire show. Either play the roll straight and let the situation be funny, or have an actor play a Grace type of character - which could be over the top.

Lets hope that the next episode has a lot less of her.
Old 04-12-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Lets hope that the next episode has a lot less of her.
Maybe Lucy will kill her. Then I'll do a 180.