Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

To fix or not to fix?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

To fix or not to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
To fix or not to fix?

TV 2003 Sony "34 HD 16x9 picture tube. I really, really love this tv.
Right from the get go I noticed it took a lot of juice to turn on. After couple weeks the remote batteries would be too week to turn the set on, but all other remote functions worked fine. Switch batteries and remote turns set on till batteries become too weak again.

ProblemTurn the set on, tube pops(it's supposed to do that) but doesn't come on. Same if remote or button on set. Standby is flashing. Press power button 5-6 times and just clicks. Press power button again and finally makes the "warm up" sound and comes on. Standby quits flashing. Looks beautiful as long as it is on, absolutely no picture problems.

Power supply problem?
Picture tube crapping out?

I'd really hate to give this set up but don't want to waste money repairing it either. As far as I know they don't make the 16x9 CRT sets anymore.

Edit to add: Just thought of this. I don't turn set on untill I'm ready to park my ass in front of it for the night. It's on now and I don't feel like going through the turning on ritual again. When I turn it off tonight I'll see if it will come right back on after it's been on for several hours.

Last edited by rw2516; 04-07-12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: To fix or not to fix?

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to waste the money repairing it. Plus it must weigh a ton and getting it to the repairman would really be a pain.
Old 04-09-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: To fix or not to fix?

It's the power supply. Went ahead and fixed it for $150.