DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Cheyenne Season 3- $19.95 (67% off) @ Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Cheyenne Season 3- $19.95 (67% off) @ Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Cheyenne-Compl...3749211&sr=8-1

Good discount on this MOD set- much better than I've seen with any WBshop sale.
Old 04-06-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cheyenne Season 3- $19.95 (67% off) @ Amazon

Thanks...
Old 04-07-12, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on Cheyene ... but I will for Maverick: The Complete First Season ... when it's released on May 29th

I am guessing that Sugarfoot and Bronco won't get full season releases.

Last edited by ChipHP; 04-07-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-07-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipHP

I am guessing that Sugarfoot and Bronco won't get full season releases.
Since both shows only have a combined total of about 39 episodes for all three seasons, I would imagine Warner Archive would release full series sets if they get around to it. Volumes 1 & 2, five discs each, four eps. per disc.
Old 04-07-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the set Amazon selling DVD-R? I see on the page FORMAT DVD and down further "DVD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com."

I have checked other sites and see nothing about it being DVD-R so I wonder if this is an Amazon thing and why the price is 19.99. I may try to cancel this as I did not pay much attention when ordering and it can still be cancelled, when I last looked.
Old 04-07-12, 07:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ernestrp
Is the set Amazon selling DVD-R? I see on the page FORMAT DVD and down further "DVD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com."

I have checked other sites and see nothing about it being DVD-R so I wonder if this is an Amazon thing and why the price is 19.99. I may try to cancel this as I did not pay much attention when ordering and it can still be cancelled, when I last looked.
Seasons 2 & 3 of Cheyenne are DVD-R; the Studio is Warner Archive. All Warner Archive releases are DVD-R.

Maverick is normal DVD; Studio is Warner Home Video.
Old 04-07-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on Cheyene ... but I will for Maverick: The Complete First Season
Same here.
Old 04-08-12, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Since both shows only have a combined total of about 39 episodes for all three seasons, I would imagine Warner Archive would release full series sets if they get around to it. Volumes 1 & 2, five discs each, four eps. per disc.

Broncho had 68 episodes and Sugarfoot had 69.
Old 04-09-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Great deal as this set was $53 bucks last week. I purchased S2 from Amazon, and was quite pleased with the dvd case. It may be MOD, but it looks like a retail release, and you get like 25 hours of content. I just wish they would get back to releasing Bonanza. It took between 2010-2011 just to get a full S2 of Bonanza.
Old 04-09-12, 10:24 AM

As I recall, Sugarfoot alternated each week with another western TV show ... the first season (1957-58) I think it was Cheyene and after that I think it was Bronco (may have continued to be Cheyene) which was unusual in TV ... I don't recal any other alternating situations (but I feel confident someone else will point them out if they exist).

I would also like to see the first full season of Lawman another Warner Bros. TV series from the same era.

Last edited by ChipHP; 04-09-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-09-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was wrong. There are 68/69 episodes. I'd always thought there were three 13 episode seasons of both. Cheyene/Bronco/Sugarfoot would rotate for a total of 39 episodes per season.

There was a show call Four In One. That rotated Night Gallery/McCloud and two others before they got full time series. I want to say the others were Name Of The Game and Banacek. Not really sure.
Old 04-09-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, not NAME OF THE GAME and BANACEK. GAME was a regular weekly show and BANACEK was a part of the NBC Mystery Movie, which did rotate with other shows. I believe the FOUR IN ONE show included THE PSYCHIATRIST and SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL, but I'm too lazy to look it up and confirm, so will happily be corrected if need be.

For DVDJunkie, don't worry, it looks like CBS/Paramount is committed to releasing at least the first five seasons of BONANZA.
Old 04-10-12, 08:36 AM
Banned

Price back to $47.49. Those who were on the fence can hop off.
Old 04-10-12, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
For DVDJunkie, don't worry, it looks like CBS/Paramount is committed to releasing at least the first five seasons of BONANZA.
Those were the best seasons anyway, although doing one more season would cover all of the Pernell Roberts years. By Season 5, the formula had been well-established and the quality had kind of leveled off. Never got much better or much worse until the final years.

Actually, Years 7-10 are pretty good also even though the loss of Adam made the show suffer. Apparently Michael Landon was pretty paranoid about having another good-looking guy competing for the romantic storylines...thus the extremely short tenure of Guy Williams (cousin Will Cartwright), who was used as a pawn by producers to try to make Roberts toe the line when he was first threatening to leave the show). Williams could have been an acceptable "replacement" for Adam, filling the role of the handsome older "son"...but what I've read indicates that Landon, Blocker, and Greene all shunned him on the set. Supposedly they didn't get along at all with the cantankerous & aloof Roberts (who considered the material to be 'beneath' his abilities) and didn't mind splitting the proceeds among three leads versus four. Don't know what later 'regulars' such as David Canary ("Candy") earned, but it was certainly far less than the Big Three.
Old 04-10-12, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lgelfand
Seasons 2 & 3 of Cheyenne are DVD-R; the Studio is Warner Archive. All Warner Archive releases are DVD-R.

Maverick is normal DVD; Studio is Warner Home Video.
Really glad to see Maverick on regular (pressed) DVD, although I won't be surprised if later seasons are DVD-R. Hope I'm wrong...maybe sales will justify keeping them coming in the better format.
Old 04-10-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Those were the best seasons anyway, although doing one more season would cover all of the Pernell Roberts years. By Season 5, the formula had been well-established and the quality had kind of leveled off. Never got much better or much worse until the final years.

Actually, Years 7-10 are pretty good also even though the loss of Adam made the show suffer. Apparently Michael Landon was pretty paranoid about having another good-looking guy competing for the romantic storylines...thus the extremely short tenure of Guy Williams (cousin Will Cartwright), who was used as a pawn by producers to try to make Roberts toe the line when he was first threatening to leave the show). Williams could have been an acceptable "replacement" for Adam, filling the role of the handsome older "son"...but what I've read indicates that Landon, Blocker, and Greene all shunned him on the set. Supposedly they didn't get along at all with the cantankerous & aloof Roberts (who considered the material to be 'beneath' his abilities) and didn't mind splitting the proceeds among three leads versus four. Don't know what later 'regulars' such as David Canary ("Candy") earned, but it was certainly far less than the Big Three.
I'd read that Guy Williams was brought in to replace Roberts who had decided to leave at end of season. A storyline was created with a love interest for Roberts, who would marry and leave the Ponderosa. At the last minute Roberts agreed to stay for another season. The writers had the girl jilt Adam and go off will Will.
Old 04-10-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting stuff about BONANZA. I prefer the "Adam" years over later years and do think the show suffers when he leaves, but am also a big fan of Guy Williams and would have loved the show if he stayed, but then no LOST IN SPACE. Although about midway through the first season of the latter Williams becomes increasingly more irrelevant, which signals the rampant deterioration of that series.
Old 04-24-12, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ernestrp

Yes, I received the season 3 set and Amazon also manufactured it! What a surprise, but I guess they are working directly with Warner Archive.

Just above the UPC bar code in very tiny print it says "Manufactured by Amazon.com KYDC, Lexington, KY"

At the bottom of the back cover it says "This disc is expected to play back in dvd video "play only" devices, and may not play back in other dvd devices, including recorders and PC drives."

I played a few of the discs and they play just like a regular dvd disc.